Recent Topics

Ads

[Slayer] Guide - How to take lickin' and keep on skippin'

Ironbreaker, Engineer, Slayer, Runepriest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Elio

[Slayer] Guide - How to take lickin' and keep on skippin'

Post#1 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:57 am

Out of date, under construction.
Last edited by Elio on Thu May 28, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Ads
Toldavf

Re: [Slayer] Guide - How to take lickin' and keep on skippin'

Post#2 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:26 am

Riposte for group play? I'd think you would be better off with anything other than that.

Positional play is important on all melee not just wh so flanking is much better than you are giving it credit for.
Khorlar, Thorvold, Sjohgar, Anareth, Toldavf, Hartwin, Gotrin and others -_-

Elio

Post#3 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:37 am

I can see with specific comps Flanking being better but with such low crit (5%) the variance w/ Flanking vs. Riposte seems even at best for total damage. If you're really struggling to secure kills for sure go Flanking > Riposte, but I prefer defaulting to Riposte.

TenTonHammer

Post#4 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:42 am

instead of riposte why not ancestral inheritance?

Elio

Post#5 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:37 am

The goal of this build is to have a survivable slayer that doesn't trade offensive capabilities for defensive ones. AI's extra armor is helpful for when I'm getting trained by melee, but a super high parry and correct positioning fulfills that same role. The difference being that Riposte + high parry means I'm also dealing free damage paired with the defense.

Sure, if the meta-shifts to a lot of high-strikethrough builds then I'd look at AI again, but for now I think parry + Riposte is a better answer than AI.

kolrhil

Post#6 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:41 pm

How are you chances tout be Crit?
No point for FS?

shaggyboomboom

Post#7 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:02 pm

no point of riposte if youre gonna be dying a lot due to lack of FS and ancestral, but w/e

Elio

Post#8 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:03 pm

I've tried to run a more defensive slayer w/ FS and AI, but I never felt like I was contributing as much as when I was running my more offensive/defensive build. I'll be updating tactics/abilities/playstyle when I get time to revamp parts of the guide.

Especially with Riposte I should be more clear about when the "fluff/free" damage it adds is useful or when you should be running Flanking instead. As Toldavf pointed out.

Really, this is meant to be an entry point for newer/struggling slayers who are finding SCs/RvR too difficult. Much of the class is learning when/how to push, but some builds are more forgiving than others. This, I think, is an easy build which still lets you put out pretty decent numbers/KBs in SCs. Especially in SCs dominated by destro Melee.

Ads
Darosh
Banned

Post#9 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:52 pm

Elio wrote: [...]
Really, this is meant to be an entry point for newer/struggling slayers who are finding SCs/RvR too difficult.
[...]
This, I think, is an easy build which still lets you put out pretty decent numbers/KBs in SCs.
[...]
Red flags a plenty, but these bits sealed the deal for me. Let's hope new players make rigorous use of the forum search function.

Tho', I guess, thanks for the attempt of 'guiding' new players.

Elio

Post#10 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:15 am

Curious what you see as a red flag with the guide? It's still in its infancy, working on images for UI/Button layout, but it isn't meant to be a total fluff piece. Tone aside.