Recent Topics

Ads

WarEmu Translation Project

Deutsch, Ελληνικά, Español, Français, Italiano, Polski and Pусский subforums.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
kindred4080

Re: WarEmu Translation Project

Post#11 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:44 am

Will try to put as much effort as possible, though i found myself a bit out of picture in terms of Lore, though it is a bit alternate universe of what i know about Warhammer.
Shoom - Marauder
Nobguzzlah - Black Orc
Proud member of "No Remorse" :)

Ads
MaxHayman
Management

Post#12 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:27 am

Darosh wrote:
Nefarian78 wrote: It took me about 20min to come up with a reasonable translation for "Changer of Ways" that doesn't sound like utter rubbish.
To be fair in english "Changer of Ways" sounds like utter rubbish in English. I can't help much with context but they are Order/Destro starter quests.
Max Hayman

Darosh
Banned

Post#13 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:25 pm

MaxHayman wrote:
Darosh wrote:
Nefarian78 wrote: It took me about 20min to come up with a reasonable translation for "Changer of Ways" that doesn't sound like utter rubbish.
To be fair in english "Changer of Ways" sounds like utter rubbish in English. I can't help much with context but they are Order/Destro starter quests.
So, given all of these are starter quests, it is appropriate for the players to be addressed informally, as they are basically your run of the mill random derp casually strolling along, and not the super-duper warlords they'll later on pose to be.

Furthermore, I think if the peasents and such refer to beastmen as simple beastmen; their genus, it'd work out well, wouldn't it? I don't think the run of the mill peasent has a clue what kind of beastmen it is that tries to bashs his head in, later on in t3+ NPC are more likely to have some beastmen-expertise and are able to tell apart beastman specimen A from beastman specimen B.

bctakhy

Post#14 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:28 pm

Darosh wrote:'ello there,
got started on the german translation and left some suggestions.

Now, I have a tiny issue, and that is the lack of context. It would be really, really helpful for alot of the tidbits. Translation can heavily change based on the very setting of a quest and such, especially if translating from a rather 'emotive' language like english into a rather clunky language like german.

Abbd.:
Chapter, Questgiver or the command lines required to display the questtext ingame.

Are you planning to flesh out the project, or will context as such only be available on request? The latter might make for a bigger workload, longterm.
Also, it seems as if there are quite alot of quest texts and such missing ~ I guess you are still building the project in that regard?
Same here lol. I look what i think that fits better in section.
The hard part for me comes on long text, since spanish have really LOT of verbs and grammar stuff that is in need of a know context.

PS: gobbo translates are really fun and a challenge :lol:

Noergl

Post#15 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:10 pm

If your looking for Lore specific names, i would recommend looking into old army books in that language or into the lexicanum in the web. For example, the "changer of the ways" , the greater demon of Tzeentch, is in german "Herrscher des Wandels" oder "Wandler der Wege"...being to literal in lore specific things can become strange, if unsure leave that part open for someone with access to the old books. Just a hint, i dont want to bitch about it. Sorry if that could be misunderstood.
Lorekeeper Noergl Morgrimsfind & Sgt.Maj.Finvjer Hugnirsson
(Co-leader of 3rd Bitterstone Thunderers)

Darosh
Banned

Post#16 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:20 pm

Noergl wrote:If your looking for Lore specific names, i would recommend looking into old army books in that language or into the lexicanum in the web. For example, the "changer of the ways" , the greater demon of Tzeentch, is in german "Herrscher des Wandels"...being to literal in lore specific things can become strange, if unsure leave that part open for someone with access to the old books. Just a hint, i dont want to bitch about it. Sorry if that could be misunderstood.
All translations are by default submitted as suggestions and freely editable by other users ~

Yeah, being to literal certainly doesn't fare well for lore related things, sadly I do not have access to the army books. Do you by chance know a website that has some of them digitialized? The lexicanum doesn't cover everything, however I've pulled the translation "Wandler der Wege" (that ended up matching mine) from there, too. Now, mind you the translations on the lexicanum seem to be rather ambiguous for various creatures - I opted to focus on translating the lore-independent passages, and pray that someone, as you've stated, fills in the blanks and gets rid of ugly translations.

I'd highly appreciate an offical stance on the addressation of players, german is a bit tricky in that regard.

Noergl

Post#17 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:25 pm

Sadly i dont know where to get digital formats - also i would hesitate to mention something like that in an official forum. Luckily for me, i sold GW products for 16 years here in Germany and my cellar is full of my own old books of the various editions. Surely i cant confirm everything in the lore specific namegiving section, but i will do my best if time allows.
Lorekeeper Noergl Morgrimsfind & Sgt.Maj.Finvjer Hugnirsson
(Co-leader of 3rd Bitterstone Thunderers)

Darosh
Banned

Post#18 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:27 pm

Noergl wrote:Luckily for me, i sold GW products for 16 years here in Germany and my cellar is full of my own old books of the various editions.
Truth be told, that sounds amazing.

Ads
Scrilian

Post#19 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:28 pm

Worst part so far is translating something like Icefang Poisonmaw without it sounding completely cringey and outright hilarious if you actually translate in word-by-word into russian :D
Вальтер Рыжий RU => Gaziraga BW, Valefar WL, Lovejoy
Retired
ex-Greenfire/Invasion RvR leader
Wonderful RvR music videos ;)

kindred4080

Post#20 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:08 pm

Yeah, in terms of eng -> rus we need to avoid straight away translation and change it into more viable in our language, as well as reorganize sentence structure.
Shoom - Marauder
Nobguzzlah - Black Orc
Proud member of "No Remorse" :)