Recent Topics

Ads

Gear disparity: Anything to be done?

Let's talk about... everything else
Dreadspectre

Gear disparity: Anything to be done?

Post#1 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:53 pm

Before I begin let me preface by saying that I'm totally ok with working for things. I do not want "welfare epics" or anything like that. Growing in power is fun.

Now, that being said, one of WAR's biggest problems in live and as far as I can see here as well, was the gear disparity and how it effects faction balance and especially new or returning players.

I and 3 friends were finally starting to join T4 SC's last night(levels 32-34) and were absolute dead weight. Ran up against the same 8-10 Order last night(premade probably) and just decimated. Got no exp, no renown and like 4 emblems total haha. I can't blame Order, they're just playing the game.

Some of it obviously, was not being 40 yet, but mostly it's a gear thing. And "get a group" isn't going to help because I was IN a group haha. I think actually it would be better to pug at this point and possibly avoid other premades(if that's how MM works).

But is there anything that can be done to help this issue? Attracting more players to come back is already hard, it gets even harder with every progressive addition of RR or gear sets etc. The gap becomes near insurmountable, even with a 6 man, you'll always be at a disadvantage. Losing an SC stomp will reward you with almost literally nothing.

Do we increase loser rewards? Probably not, that would encourage afk SC farming or something.
Do we lower the stat difference between sets? Probably not, no one likes their carrots becoming potatoes to chase instead.
Do we increase how much crappy gear gets bolstered? We could, but then what would be the point of getting the gear sets if bolstered greens were almost as good?

Bit of a ramble but just wanted to discuss this, because the problem is only going to get worse the more the game unlocks.
Mrskullhead - DPS Zealot
Axeocalypse - 2H BO
Stayawhile - Magus
Pleasehammer Donthurtem - 2H WP
Fathermcgruder Arsekicker - RP
Poundtown - 2H IB

Ads
peterthepan3

Re: Gear disparity: Anything to be done?

Post#2 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:56 pm

If server had 1.5-2k pop, Id vouch for rr brackets in sc. Unfortunately it doesnt so id just advise you level asap and leave sc till 40.

freshour
Banned

Post#3 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:59 pm

I agree with the clown or if you don't play a very meta spec - swap to the meta spec, green gear can make most meta specs decent especially healers - play the meta regardless of it is fun or not until you have the minimum gear to then have fun.

Penril

Post#4 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:21 pm

What was your group composition? Were you on your DPS Zealot? The 2H BO? What healers did you have? Maybe your setup was simply bad and you should expect to lose against most premades, regardless of your level/gear.

Example: DPS Zealot/2 Choppas/1 WE. Even at rr70 this setup would have a hard time going against a semi-decent, balanced, lower level premade.

Gear disparity is nowhere as bad in this game as it was in live (or other games).

Dreadspectre

Post#5 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:28 pm

Penril wrote:What was your group composition? Were you on your DPS Zealot? The 2H BO? What healers did you have? Maybe your setup was simply bad and you should expect to lose against most premades, regardless of your level/gear.

Example: DPS Zealot/2 Choppas/1 WE. Even at rr70 this setup would have a hard time going against a semi-decent, balanced, lower level premade.

Gear disparity is nowhere as bad in this game as it was in live (or other games).
We had my 2H BO with a Monstro Mara, Choppa(left side tree I think, forget name) and a Chalice DoK.

I can't speak for my DPS buds but I know my damage was absolutely pathetic haha. I know we have Ruin coming up and then Epic weapon quests at what, 35, 36? That will help some.
Mrskullhead - DPS Zealot
Axeocalypse - 2H BO
Stayawhile - Magus
Poundtown - 2H IB

Darosh
Banned

Post#6 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:31 pm

Unless even numbers and remotely even level of 'skill' (or atleast actual character level) are involved, gear is neglible.

Take your experience for example:
Dreadspectre wrote: I and 3 friends were finally starting to join T4 SC's last night(levels 32-34) and were absolute dead weight. Ran up against the same 8-10 Order last night(premade probably) and just decimated. Got no exp, no renown and like 4 emblems total haha. I can't blame Order, they're just playing the game.
T4 = has been the endgame for quite some time, it should be obvious that fresh sub40's can't properly compete.
SC's = mostly CQ-map dimensions, no leeway in terms of movement - susceptible to matchmaking issues, etc..
levels 32-34 = that is a no-brainer if I ever saw one.
premade probably = coordination is king.

The "disparity" comes down to at most 5%ish, from entry level gear (Ruin->Merc/Anni + tome/lair jewels + epic quest/influence/SC[first tier] weapons) to BiS (BL/Imp/Over/Conq/Domi + genesis jewels + subjugator/SC[second tier] weapons), with the only outstanding things being procs.

Abbd.: Adding to the list above:
Dreadspectre wrote: We had my 2H BO with a Monstro Mara, Choppa(left side tree I think, forget name) and a Chalice DoK.
2H BO = sub40 loldps, that is a no-brainer aswell.
Choppa = sub40, that is, too, a no-brainer.

Note: Bolstered DPS generally have an edge in regards to strikethrough and armorpen, as lower they are in the bracket. Did you guys atleast assist each other properly?

E: Words and format.
Last edited by Darosh on Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Penril

Post#7 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:33 pm

Well that's your problem right there. You are running as a 2H, guarding 3 players (I assume you were guarding, If you weren't that's another problem), one of them a squishy Choppa, and only had one healer. Even at rank 40 with good gear this setup is not that good.

Dreadspectre

Post#8 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:34 pm

Darosh wrote:Unless even numbers and remotely even level of 'skill' (or atleast actual character level) are involved, gear is neglible.

Take your experience for example:
Dreadspectre wrote: I and 3 friends were finally starting to join T4 SC's last night(levels 32-34) and were absolute dead weight. Ran up against the same 8-10 Order last night(premade probably) and just decimated. Got no exp, no renown and like 4 emblems total haha. I can't blame Order, they're just playing the game.
T4 = has been the endgame for quite some time, it be obvious that fresh sub 40's can't properly compete.
SC's = mostly CQ-map dimensions, no leeway in terms of movement - susceptible to matchmaking issues, etc..
levels 32-34 = that is a no-brainer if I ever saw one.
premade probably = coordination is king.

The "disparity" comes down to at most 5%ish, from entry level gear (Ruin->Merc/Anni + tome/lair jewels + epic quest/influence/sc(first tier) weapons) to BiS (Imp/Over/Conq/Domi + genesis jewels + subjugator/sc(second tier) weapons), with the only outstanding things being procs.

Well like I said, sadly we couldn't even wear our Ruin sets yet so that wasn't helping. Double sad for me, my Ruin set is for SnB builds :(
Mrskullhead - DPS Zealot
Axeocalypse - 2H BO
Stayawhile - Magus
Poundtown - 2H IB

Ads
Darosh
Banned

Post#9 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:37 pm

Dreadspectre wrote: Well like I said, sadly we couldn't even wear our Ruin sets yet so that wasn't helping. Double sad for me, my Ruin set is for SnB builds :(
So, see...what exactly is your point then? How does this very experience represent or indicate a gear disparity?

Abbd.: For reference:
Dreadspectre wrote: But is there anything that can be done to help this issue? Attracting more players to come back is already hard, it gets even harder with every progressive addition of RR or gear sets etc. The gap becomes near insurmountable, even with a 6 man, you'll always be at a disadvantage. Losing an SC stomp will reward you with almost literally nothing.
Things don't add up, mate.

Jaycub

Post#10 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:41 pm

MDPS need a guard and two healers to function in any real capacity against decent pugs let alone a premade.

And gear isn't really going to help you against a good premade if you are pugging or fraction grouping, especially if it's the full cheese 3-2-1 group. What will help pugs beat those groups is...

1. being rdps
2. having 2 healers in party
3. not being mdps
4. not having other mdps in your parties

Beastlord was a good gap closing PvE gear, but alas. Now you want to get ruin which is OK enough and can be farmed in an afternoon especially if you have friends to do the PQ.
<Lords of the Locker Room> <Old School>