Recent Topics

Ads

What causes camping in SCs? How can we make it stop?

Let's talk about... everything else
samster

Re: What causes camping in SCs? How can we make it stop?

Post#11 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:34 pm

Just an idea. Don't throw feces just yet.
Minimize renown and exp for killing foes outside flag area, maximize within the flag area.

Ads
Azarael

Post#12 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:43 pm

Pretty solid, actually. If there's support for zones / volumes as in Unreal Engine, that would also work.

TheEndsOfInvention

Post#13 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:51 pm

So, at least two peoples' answer is 'stop camping and pull back'.

I don't understand how the original devs let it come to this.

Even on the original server the answer to a camp was the outbreak of compassion and declaring (temporary) peace?
In WAR?

It seems like there could have been an awful lot done to limit it. Cannons, a big AOE knockback perhaps, walls and obstacles in front of spawns giving you a chance to escape unseen, terrain that advantages the defender rather than the attacker.
Or, christ, just an unbroken ring of champions 100 range further out than they are now, giving you a massive front that the enemies simply wouldn't be able to cover. It's brutal but I'd take it in a second.

I honestly don't know how useful changing rewards would be. If people won't listen when their team wants them to pull back I doubt they're catching up on patch notes. They're camping and spamming because it's all they know. It can be HUGELY frustrating trying to get damage out in this game and when all the fish are literally in a barrel there's such a temptation to sit there and shoot them. I think that kind of behaviour needs strong negative re-enforcement :)

I mean, full marks samster. It's a realistic change. None of the stuff I've mentioned is. But would changing a couple of in-game values affect the way players enjoy running down and camping outmatched teams? It seems like there need to be actual obstacles to that hunting/bullying behaviour that comes so naturally to us. Rocks, hills, explosions, a wall of champs, y'know actual physical limits and punishment.
I am Twonk the Shaman, Twitch the Sorceress and Abnorma the Obvious Witch Elf

tazdingo

Post#14 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:54 pm

patrolling champs instead of stationary, so people might think it's safe to chase enemy to wc at first, but then they get caught when champ comes round. would open up, albeit highly risky, avenues of attack for experienced teams to exploit too, whilst continuously moving the front and forcing the dominating team to reposition, which would be a good time to counterattack

navis

Post#15 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:45 pm

One major flaw that we've seen at times is Scenario that take too long to complete - eg Caledor Woods. Players just get bored, usually, one would think, that you cannot expect a team to be defeated for more than 5 minutes per session.

What I mean is in scenario matches it's two teams vs two teams no reinforcements or lineup changes (other than the few latecomers and others may decide to quit). If the loser has given his best attempt and in Warhammer will likely "run back" to the battle location from spawn maybe 4-5 tries at max. After that he is morally defeated and a turn around at this point is very unlikely and also probably not worth the effort. In some situations one team dominating completely off the start would offer a reward of the match being called sooner because of the dominance.

Too many points for kills I don't think is the real reason, perhaps in some cases, but I don't think overall it is.. Anyways that problem is solved by a diminishing returns formula that is in the game, I think.

Right now I think the matches are setup best, even better than old live. I don't think there should be extra renown for gaining the control points but just a overall Winning reward (like Max added). In my view adding more points to the flags in Gates of Ekrund and Nordenwatch would not benefit the games dynamic because of the way that new incentive will be a cause of players to divide and when they are weak dividing is very bad... In short helps to create 'the rich get richer' type situation.
Last edited by navis on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morf

Post#16 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:13 pm

1 side wins and 1 side will lose, camping is something that happens and wont stop.
If you are camping a spawn point with your team try asking your guys to pullback, nothing else can be done.
Also for any suggestions of adding invisible blockades or a debuff for getting to close to spawn...this is war, get use to it.
Morfee - Shaman / Mynnos - Kotbs / Grubod - Black Orc / Snubz - Squig Herder

navis

Post#17 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:19 pm

But I agree building the scenario properly to begin has a lot to do with especially when one side has a premade and the other is lowbie pubs.. IT's a auto-lose situation. As the player base grows Max can put in more ways to help get a good matchup but right now the only real thing you can do is try to put up a good fight!

There are lots of new people here, it seems, and a lot of people to seem to know how to play (pvp) in general... So help them out and tell them what they are doing wrong. But the biggest problem is just not enough people are up to level and with gear, so you all should get to rank 10 ASAP and get the best gear you can afford.

Hoosier188

Post#18 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:29 pm

It looks like I'm in agreement with most on this topic. I think to fix it all you have to make winning worth more renown than you could earn on average by just kill each other. You have to make winning the SC the point of the whole think. Do that you and you stop spawn campers.

Ads
mirko92

Post#19 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:58 am

samster wrote:Just an idea. Don't throw feces just yet.
Minimize renown and exp for killing foes outside flag area, maximize within the flag area.
I think that this combined with the function to teleport to a flag would resolve the camping problem, because at anytime you can try to win sc if you are being camped and faction that is winning cannot camp because the player of the opposite faction can move instantly and directly to the flags, maybe a barrier to don't be hitted in the own camp would be great.

What do you think about this guys ?

Allorien

Post#20 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:37 am

If bonus for winning is greater than amount I get from killing...

One side is dominant which currently can lead to camping. The dominant side is also going to be the side that gets the bonus for winning. Both can be achieved by the dominant side in a scenario.

There is no easy solution. Best is to only play with people who are good/skilled. This game is not hard, especially at such low levels. When groups are functioning properly, get a solid 6 man and call targets, /assist the main assist (if claimed by someone in your party), or /assist ______ which is the person in your group everyone assists (this can be macro'd).