Recent Topics

Ads

[DEVELOPER PREVIEW] Armor Set Redesigns

Talk about the development of the emulator and related services.
Check out new and upcoming features to be implemented onto the server.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Genisaurus
Former Staff

[DEVELOPER PREVIEW] Armor Set Redesigns

Post#1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:18 pm

Good morning, community!

tl;dr:
Spoiler:
I designed new sets for T1-T3, and redesigned the current sets, to make a sov-style split. Links are at the bottom.
I wanted to share something with you that I've been working on the last couple of days, before it goes live. This is an opportunity to collect some feedback, but more importantly, this is a large change that would be unfair to spring on people with no warning.

In short, I've designed new sets for Tiers 1, 2, and 3 to complement the existing RvR sets in the same way that Sovereign had two different sets for each class. Additionally, the existing RvR sets have been redesigned to eliminate useless stats, and make their intended playstyles more clear.

Okay, But Why?

While reading through a thread about Warrior Priest's melee healing inferiority, one of the biggest problems that stuck out to me was their gear struggles in the lower tiers, and their Multiple Attribute Dependency. Items are my thing, so I volunteered to design an alternate set for them that would specifically promote melee healing. Then I decided that one class and its mirror having a completely separate set just to compensate for their bad design is both unfair and silly.

A brief history lesson: There was once a huge outcry as the first players slogged their way to RR75+, and started learning that Sovereign gear was underwhelming, and favored some specs more than others. There was a larger outcry when Land of the Dead revealed the Tyrant set, a "lesser" set which worked much better for some classes than Sovereign did for others. Mythic responded by completely redesigning the sovereign set for every class, and also introduced a second set that supported an alternative specs.

The relative power of those Sovereign sets aside, the decision to support multiple specs with sets that are equal in power was a good one. The problem in the lower tiers is that there is only one top set, the RvR sets, and those have the same issue Sovereign used to - little flexibility to play your class how you want. Tier 3 has Stalker, Mayhem and Redeye, but the itemization on those sets is distinctly inferior to Devastator. Stalker, case in point, has almost 50% the stat points and armor values of Devastator. There are arguments to be made that these sets should be less powerful, because they are "easier" to get, involving varying degrees of PvE. So instead of buffing these sets (which may still be an option in the future), I made alternate sets for every class at the same power level of the RvR sets.

Once I started though, it became very obvious that some of the existing sets needed a complete redesign altogether. Runepriests for example, did not get their gear adjusted after they were given the ability to convert all Intelligence to Willpower, or vice versa. Bright Wizards and Sorceresses have more Willpower on their gear than Slayers have Weapon Skill. Speaking of Weapon Skill, why do Archmages need it? Etc. Etc. Etc. I decided to just redesign the existing RvR sets for every class too.

Blah blah blah, what did you actually do?
  1. I designed new PvP sets for each tier. They will be bought with scenario emblems:
    • Tier 1 : 110 Recruit's Emblems : "... of the Braggart"
    • Tier 2 : 220 Scout's Emblems : "... of the Challenger"
    • Tier 3 : 490 Soldier's Emblems : "... of the Duelist"
  2. The new sets are designed to allow alternative specs and playstyles to the existing RvR sets:
    • Tanks: DPS
    • Healers: [RP/ZE] Survivability; [WP/DK] Melee Healing; [AM/SH] DPS
    • MDPS: Survivability
    • RDPS: Close-range encounters
  3. I also redesigned the existing RvR sets for each tier. These sets have had less-useful stats merged into more useful ones, and they have become more focused toward the playstyles they promote. That focus is generally:
    • Tanks: Defense
    • Healers: Healing
    • MDPS: DPS
    • RDPS: Long-range encounters
  4. EDIT: There may be an exchange merchant in the future to swap your already purchased RvR sets for the new sets. There will likely not be one when these sets go live.
You can view all the relevant information here.
Last Update: Jan 13th, 2016
A visual guide to the Duelist set Special thanks to RyanMakara for these appearances!
Spoiler:
  • The 5-piece bonus for Slayers and Choppas on the Devastator set has been changed from Overwhelming to Clarity.
  • The 5-piece bonus for Slayers and Choppas on the Duelist set has been changed from Pilfer to Mending.
  • The 5-piece bonus for White Lions and Marauders on the Devastator set has been changed from Domination to Corrosion.
  • The 5-piece bonus for White Lions and Marauders on the Duelist set has been changed from Elusive to Reactionary.
  • The stats on the Duelist sets for Slayers, Choppas, Marauders and White Lions have been altered to focus slightly more on defense.
  • The 5-piece bonus for Engineers on the Devastator set has been changed from Corrosion to Dissolve VII
Let me know what you think!

As an aside, the 5-piece passive abilities WILL work when these sets go live! Other passives will be added back to RvR influence weapons and armor as we implement them.

For anyone wanting to see a rundown of what they will do, see below:
Spoiler:
Keep in mind that these buffs do not stack with abilities, or other buffs/debuffs coming from abilities. They may still stack with morales and tactics.
The following are the tooltips for the passive abilities at Career Rank 30:
  • Corrosion - On Hit: 10% chance to lower target's Armor by 900 for 10 seconds.
  • Erosion - On Hit: 10% chance to lower all of target's Resistances by 150 for 10 seconds.
  • Clarity - Any Ability: 10% chance to reduce the cost of the next ability used within 10 seconds to 0 Action Points.
  • Preservation - On Being Hit: 10% chance to increase Wounds by 60 for 20 seconds.
  • Mending - On Being Hit: 10% chance to recover 52 health.
  • Vivacious - On Heal: 10% chance to recover 50 AP.
  • Caretaker - On Hit: 10% chance to heal defensive target for 175 health.
  • Domination - On Hit: 25% chance to steal 60 Toughness from your target for 10 seconds.
  • Aggravation - On Hit: 10% chance to Taunt target.
  • Bracing - On Being Hit: 10% chance to increase Armor by 528 for 10 seconds.
  • Overwhelming - On Hit: 25% chance to reduce target's Weapon Skill by 60 while increasing your Strength by 60 for 10 seconds.
  • Pilfer - On Being Hit: 10% chance to steal 87 health from your attacker.
  • Elusive - On Being Hit: 10% chance to increase movement speed by 20% for 10 seconds.
  • Quickening - On Being Hit: 10% chance to reduce build times by half a second for 10 seconds.
  • Barrier - On Being Hit: 10% chance to form a protective barrier that will absorb up to 116 damage over 5 seconds.
  • Marked - On Hit: 25% chance to reduce target's Initiative by 60 while increasing your Ballistic Skill by 60 for 10 seconds.
  • Reactionary - On Defense: 25% chance to increase Parry, Evade, and Disrupt by 10% for 10 seconds.
  • Guile - On Hit: 10% chance to lower incoming healing on target by 25% for 10 seconds.
  • Creeping - On Being Hit: 10% chance to reduce attackers movement speed by 40% for 5 seconds.
  • Dissolve VII - On Hit: 10% chance to lower target's armor by 700 for 6 seconds.
  • Depleting - On Hit: 10% chance to remove 50 AP from your target.
Last edited by Genisaurus on Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Ads
ThePollie
Banned

Re: [DEVELOPER PREVIEW] Armor Set Redesigns

Post#2 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:27 pm

Hot damn, my faith was well placed.

TenTonHammer

Post#3 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:28 pm

Thats AWESOME! Id love that we have more options for BiS besides 3 peice stalked 2 peice deva

AND YOU CAN BUY IT WITH FREAKIN SC EMBLEMS? **** YES!

BUT

let me ask the real question

does the armor look cool? ;)
Last edited by TenTonHammer on Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bignusty

Post#4 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:30 pm

Damn !! Its really i good idea !! Good job

tomato

Post#5 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:32 pm

Sounds great, really looking forward to that. :D

And gief Mount Gunbad please?

Scrilian

Post#6 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:35 pm

Somehow I strongly feel negative on the side of Soldier Emblems and not Medallions. Its like 1k Emblems for 3 weapons and now 500 more for gear. :cry:
Вальтер Рыжий RU => Gaziraga BW, Valefar WL, Lovejoy
Retired
ex-Greenfire/Invasion RvR leader
Wonderful RvR music videos ;)

rmpl

Post#7 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:38 pm

>Tanks: DPS
>[WP/DK] Melee Healing
>[AM/SH] DPS

Just kill me already.

Genisaurus
Former Staff

Post#8 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:39 pm

TenTonHammer wrote:does the armor look cool? ;)
There's kind of a shortage of appearances. Every tier before Tier 4 only has 1-3 appearances available for gear.

Currently, the new sets use the appearances of the Carnage/Havoc/Mayhem sets. Though the PW sets aren't implemented yet, their appearances may look awfully similar to existing sets, or otherwise be obtainable through PvE already.

Ads
Bignusty

Post#9 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:42 pm

Scrilian wrote:Somehow I strongly feel negative on the side of Soldier Emblems and not Medallions. Its like 1k Emblems for 3 weapons and now 500 more for gear. :cry:
Where is the problem ? I have already all weapons from vendor and atm i have 1k+ emblem ... The grind is easy do more scenario instead of rvR ...

TenTonHammer

Post#10 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:45 pm

Genisaurus wrote:
There's kind of a shortage of appearances. Every tier before Tier 4 only has 1-3 appearances available for gear.

Currently, the new sets use the appearances of the Carnage/Havoc/Mayhem sets. Though the PW sets aren't implemented yet, their appearances may look awfully similar to existing sets, or otherwise be obtainable through PvE already.
Please sir i beg to thee; BQ helm appearance for bg set thine lairs rg hath been the cruelest mistress