Recent Topics

Ads

[Bright Wizard] Mobility and damage

Structured balance proposals should be posted here. Posts in this section will be taken into account during class balance reviews.
Mor

[Bright Wizard] Mobility and damage

Post#1 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:31 am

Hi, my main character is Zealot and I wanted to share my thoughts on balancing Bright Wizard with you. Over the last few months I spent my time rolling a Bright Wizard to RR 80+ and managed to collect the top gear possible. Once I did that, I went straight into ranked scenarios so that I could understand why Bright Wizard is the least desired class for 6man's. Even though BW and Sorceress are very straightforward range damage dealers, the problem related to them is more complex. There are few drawbacks of these two classes which I would like to tackle and propose my ideas on how to change things for better and at the same time not to spoil or degenerate Warhammer lore/esthetic.

Problems:

1) Mobility and kiting utilities
I am pretty sure that everybody who played BW for a shorter or longer time noticed that this class is extremely vulnerable to crowrd control abilites and especially snares! While Squig Herder, Shadow Warrior, Shaman and Arch Mage can properly react to it, Bright Wizard's only lifesaver is Focused Mind (which is not always ready to use). Since Squig Herder's squig form with pouncing started to be viable, the addition of new abilites for Witch Elf (extra stealth and pounce), Bright Wizards became even easier prey than they used to be a year ago. On ranked scenarios or any other type of 6v6 fights, once a tank manages to reach and snare BW or Sorc, they become the ultimate target and eventually bite the dust.

2) Damage speed
There is no doubt that improved Boiling Blood and Ignite with the addition of either Fireball Barrage or Stop, Drop and Roll! are the best two build for single target BW. Class mechanic which provides +35% more crit chance and +100% more crit damage allows BW and Sorcs to burst a single target with massive damage. Nevertheless, in order to make the burst work, we need at least 5 seconds (usually 6/7 sec.) of consecutive spell casting in right order. These 5 or more seconds give a lot of time for healers and tanks to prepare for the burst and therefore making it less harmful. A classic composition of White Lion and Slayer or Shadow Warrior causes pressure on the spur of the moment which Bright Wizard can only envy.

3) Meltdown
This ability has had very little use since live mostly due to the fact that it drain all your Combustion.

4) Detonate
Many people who play BW would probably say that Detonate's greatest downside is it split damage type (initial instant damage followed by 9 second dot). Another thing is that it causes in some situations your detaunt to be removed. I came across this problem many times. First I detaunted a melee dps then quickly switched to another melee and started my rotation on him. As soon as I cast Detonate, I lost my detaunt on the first melee (20 feet aoe damage).

Solutions:

1) Mobility and kiting utilities
I remember a conversation on Zarbix's Twitch about Bright Wizards lacking some kind of mobility feature like teleport or speed boost which exist for many casting classes in other MMORPGs. I understand that implementing a teleport or similar in RoR would be a nightmare for developers (also against the Warhammer lore). My idea is to add snare immunity to Shield of Aqshy and accordingly to Shroud of Darkness (Sorceress) for the same duration of 10 seconds. For Sorceress cooldown would need to be changed as well from 60 to 30 seconds to make it even. The feature would finally improve kiting when oppressed in combat (not before combat) and once very 30 seconds you could kite slightly away givnig yourself a little bit of space and freedom. This would also make BWs more useful in melee train warbands by making them able to run together with friendly melee dps's side by side and not 40 feet away abandoned at the back.

2) Damage speed + Meltdown + Detonate
Adding speed to BW's damage mechanics would probably require reconstructing all Immolation tree abilites but I would like to introduce my little two changes to Meltdown and Detonate which would definitely cause a player to detaunt BW's quicker. Remove aoe feature from Detonate and in return increase its damage slightly, either initial, over time or both evenly. With Meltdown, first and most of all, I would reduce its cost to 40 Combustion points. Secondly, it would be great to cast it instantly but increase its cooldown to 10 seconds. This would make Meltdown and Dhar Wind finally useful. I am not sure about the type of damage, whether it should be as it is now (non-mitigable) or resistance based type damage.

Thank you for reading,

Mor

Ads