Recent Topics

Ads

[KotBS] Path of Conquest overhaul [UPDATED].

Structured balance proposals should be posted here. Posts in this section will be taken into account during class balance reviews.
Skald

[KotBS] Path of Conquest overhaul [UPDATED].

Post#1 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:08 am

[ISSUE]

Path of Conquest - which, according to the in-game description, is a mastery path focused on destroying your enemies. But in my opinion it offers very little in the way of fulfilling its designed purpose.

Aside from improving Arcing Swing wounds debuff and Precision Strike damage there's not much to be gained in spending more than 7 points in the tree.

It's not unresonable to expect that if you spec towards DPS, you should be able to deal some - which currently really isn't the case with Conquest.

All the issues regarding select abilities are described below in detail:

[PROPOSALS]

[Rank 4 Morale]
Nova Strike

[Important note, this morale will probably be adjusted thusly:

Current - 65' line, 1200 damage with 1200 over 9s (4 ticks at 300)
Proposed - 65' line, 1200 damage with 1800 over 9s (3 ticks at 600)]

Not much to add here, with the incoming buff it'll be quite potent.

[13 points]
Staggering Impact

While the effect can be considered quite powerful (although perhaps less so considering how high in the tree the ability actually is), the cooldown is significant and the damage laughable. Due to relatively short range, it's typically more useful in big fights, not that great in small ones.

Therefore I propose to change it into:
  • Decapitate [Greatsword required] - similar to WP's Hammer of Sigmar (high damage, will almost always critically hit; but usable only if the target is below 50% health - 10 second cooldown).

An excute ability for a tank, wouldn't that be too powerful? I would argue that if any tank could have it, it's the Knight - as it has not only the lowest DPS potential, but also virtually zero burst capability.

As an added bonus, this will give the Knights something to do in fights other than to spam Precision Strike, which would drastically improve the fun factor of the class.
[11 points]
Efficient Swings

I see little reason to pick this up - especially due to the fact that we already have a core tactic Bellow Commands, which is superior (it's universal, not limited to one tree).

Therefore I propose to change it into Greatsword Training, which could have one of the following effects:
  • Version I: modified Greatweapon Mastery - 10% parry, 5% damage increase.

A slightly modified version of SM's and IB's Greatweapon Mastery. Tactic this high in a tree should definitely be worth the expenditure. Why parry instead of damage? To add some unique flavour and maintain Knights' identity of the lowest DPS tank.
  • Version II: modified Hastened Doom - Whenever the Knight critically hits, they gain 10% armour penetration for 10 seconds. In addition whenever the Knight uses Arcing Swing or Shining Blade, their auto attack speed is increased by 50% for 10 seconds.

Seems to fit the most with the Greatsword theme.
  • Version III: armour penetration - Adds 20% (additive) armour penetration to all Path of Conquest abilities.

Also fits thematically.
  • Version IV: Arcing Swing improvement - Increases its range to 40 feet and significantly improves damage dealt.

Improving signature Greatsword Knight ability seems like a solid, if uninspired, choice. It would, however, offer some AoE capability and make up for the loss of Staggering Impact.
[9 points]
Myrmidia's Fury

I'd generally rather use 2x Precision Strike rather than this, especially due to the prevalent armour stacking and the fact that it can be interrupted. After some testing it would also seem that you get the AA damage either at the end of the channel, or during the second last hit. Either way I find it hard to justify spending a valuable point for this ability.

Some ideas on how to change it:
  • Version I: Self-buff [Greatsword required] - The Knight is filled with Myrmidia's Fury, granting him 25% increase in damage dealt and 25% increase in movement speed (10 second duration, 60 second cooldown).

Opens up a short burst window for a class that currently has none.
  • Version II: Damage pulse [Greatsword required] - The Knight is filled with Myrmidia's Fury, granting him 10% increase in damage dealt. The power of the sun burns all enemies within 30 feet for X elemental damage (10 second duration, 60 second cooldown).

Seems to fit the Knight lore the best, adds some AoE capability to the tree, in place of the removed Staggering Impact.
[7 points]
Overpowering Swing

No complaints here - this tactic is one of the main reasons to use a Greatsword.

[5 points]
To Glory!

All-around useful.

[3 points]
Slice Through

A very useful tactic.

[Core]
All Out Assault!

Is this useful for anything other than PvE and SC scoreboard farming? To go with the name, maybe it should increase weapon skill, or perhaps AA speed?

All other core abilities don't require any changes.

[SUMMARY]

Out of the proposed changes, the most synergistic and lore-fitting set is probably this one:
  • Decapitate [Greatsword required] - similar to WP's Hammer of Sigmar (high damage, will almost always critically hit; but usable only if the target is below 25% health - 10 second cooldown).
  • Greatweapon Mastery - Whenever the Knight critically hits, they gain 10% armour penetration for 10 seconds. In addition whenever the Knight uses Arcing Swing or Shining Blade, their auto attack speed is increased by 50% for 10 seconds.
  • Myrmidia's Fury [Greatsword required] - The Knight is filled with Myrmidia's Fury, granting him 10% increase in damage dealt. The power of the sun burns all enemies within 30 feet for X elemental damage (10 second duration, 60 second cooldown).
These changes should make all of the Conquest tree tactics and abilities worth the investment and open up new avenues for Knights who would like to focus more on dealing damage.
Last edited by Skald on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:54 am, edited 43 times in total.

Ads
TenTonHammer

Re: [KotBS] Path of Conquest feedback (improvement ideas)

Post#2 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:43 am

Well the first problem is that this is a 2H tree and every one knows that 2H tanks are dps but our damage isn’t high enough to compete with the other dps so that needs to be buffed

Secondly arcing swing I feel should be buffed to better mirror crimson death as in have its range increased to 30ft, perhaps make the base ability 10% chance to crit and add the wounds debuff and range increase via tactic