Recent Topics

Ads

Could we come up with some other way to register bugs?

Let's talk about... everything else
JackLope

Could we come up with some other way to register bugs?

Post#1 » Sun May 28, 2023 6:47 am

Title kinda says it all, not everyone wants to venture and upload files in github for various safety reasons, but some of us might have more than just a couple bugs to report, sometimes regarding specific item bugs or quests, some of them having been in the game for upwards to two years now.
I've got like, 5 different bugs to report and I believe the feedback could be to the benefit of the game, but I'm not really gonna go all the way to github for that.

Ads
Absinth

Re: Could we come up with some other way to register bugs?

Post#2 » Sun May 28, 2023 7:17 am

You can always either ask someone else to do a github post or just dump the bug into the forums and hope someone puts it onto github.
Shinee DOK | 40/82
YellowGuard BG | 40/62
NuclearBombs SORC | 40/40

Self-proclaimed PVE and Fashionhammer expert

wonshot

Post#3 » Sun May 28, 2023 11:45 am

Github is a "lazyness filter" for sure. Many times when playing and player-circle found a bug rarely anyone had the effort in them to go to Github and report.
That being said, it does confront the report when you have to do the needed detail steps to reproduce and it makes for a much better bugreport, which in turn potentially lead to better game improvements.

If something has been broken for 2years+ and still is not fixed, then that could be turned around and blamed on the people not reporting it if they know about it.
Not every report needs to have files attached, if you can formulate a good enough written step by step to reproduce im sure that can be plenty for fixing quests etc.
Bombling 92BW - Bombthebuilder 82Engi - Bombing 82SL - Bling 81Kobs - Orderling 80WP - Jackinabox 67WH
Gombling 85mSH- Chopling 83Chop - Notbombling 82Sorc - Powerhouse 81Zeal - Goldbag 80Mara - Smurfling 75Sham -Blobling 66BO

JackLope

Post#4 » Sun May 28, 2023 3:56 pm

Absinth wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:17 am You can always either ask someone else to do a github post or just dump the bug into the forums and hope someone puts it onto github.
Ι actually posted about a bugged quest a few days ago, and the post was deleted :roll:
Although I do understand the benefit of being thorough with reporting, and perhaps github might be accomplishing that better,
in essence, what we are doing still is "testing" the game and providing feedback.
And even though I really love this game, I ain't gonna jump through hoops to provide technical feedback.

Svartypops

Post#5 » Sun May 28, 2023 6:55 pm

wonshot wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:45 am Github is a "lazyness filter" for sure. Many times when playing and player-circle found a bug rarely anyone had the effort in them to go to Github and report.
That being said, it does confront the report when you have to do the needed detail steps to reproduce and it makes for a much better bugreport, which in turn potentially lead to better game improvements.
As someone who's reported quite a few bugs of late, I can say with some authority that I'm very happy with the bug reporting process. It doesn't take half as long as people imagine.

BluIzLucky

Post#6 » Sun May 28, 2023 10:33 pm

Literally you just need to click on bug tracker and sign in (if you are not already) takes 30 seconds.. then create your bugs, same effort as anywhere else.
And who knows, maybe your bugs are already there.
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

Rubius
Developer

Post#7 » Mon May 29, 2023 5:49 am

The bugtracker helps us for many reasons, from simple documentation to making it easy for us to search and see if issues are old, already reported, or related to previous issues. It also helps ensure we get the info we need to narrow in and fix bugs more quickly.

You don't have to always upload video for every bug; just a very clear explanation of how to recreate it is enough. Video or screens really help though, in case we have trouble when we try to recreate.

I know it's a little bit of work to register, but I do hope people can get past that. As always, we appreciate all the reports and people helping us squash the bugs to make RoR better!

JackLope

Post#8 » Mon May 29, 2023 6:04 am

Rubius wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:49 am The bugtracker helps us for many reasons, from simple documentation to making it easy for us to search and see if issues are old, already reported, or related to previous issues. It also helps ensure we get the info we need to narrow in and fix bugs more quickly.

You don't have to always upload video for every bug; just a very clear explanation of how to recreate it is enough. Video or screens really help though, in case we have trouble when we try to recreate.

I know it's a little bit of work to register, but I do hope people can get past that. As always, we appreciate all the reports and people helping us squash the bugs to make RoR better!
I really want to help you take bugs down, but I have no intention of making yet another account for Github, couldn't we simply relay the information to someone who already has an account on Github?

Ads
Rubius
Developer

Post#9 » Mon May 29, 2023 10:34 am

JackLope wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:04 am I really want to help you take bugs down, but I have no intention of making yet another account for Github, couldn't we simply relay the information to someone who already has an account on Github?
As long as it ultimately ends up on the tracker, sure! :)

In this case though, it's best if whoever posts it has verified and is able to recreate the bug too, in case we need to ask them questions. The sign up process for Github should be only a matter of minutes or less, so realistically I think just signing up is probably fastest in the long run. But up to you!

skiphop78

Post#10 » Tue May 30, 2023 10:32 pm

I find it a bit tedious as well. Posted a very nice, very clear description of what was a very simple and straight forward bug. Absolutely not necessary at all for description overkill. Have not seen any response in months, and I think it was because I did not follow the reporting process to the letter. Oh well. I gave it the old college try. :)