Ads

RR pre lvl 40

Let's talk about... everything else
Hellfireuzu

RR pre lvl 40

Post#1 » Sun May 15, 2022 11:44 am

Hello guys,

simple question "Is there really a need to have RR before hitting EXP lvl 40?"

It complicates the game for people who mostly want to enjoy PvE through the early game (since it forces you to PvP and also nets EXP, making you skip the actual PvE content) and since the game is heavily based on PvP you will get to higher RR nontheless eventually as you'd have nothing else to do anyways. I am not sure whether my point is clear here. But I believe that "all" (notice the quotes) the lategame is PvP focused and there simply is no need to lvl those arbitrary 40 Renown Ranks when you hit EXP lvl 40.

wdyt?

Ads
Sulorie

Re: RR pre lvl 40

Post#2 » Sun May 15, 2022 12:09 pm

Actually it is more than just rr40. :)
There is no hard barrier to earn the renown later, when you want to pve first but you will be a lot weaker compared to other players until you got back on track. You can mitigate it a bit by getting pve dungeon armor sets.
When you do pve you should use -xp scroll at all times, bought at quartermaster at warcamp.
Dying is no option.

Hellfireuzu

Post#3 » Sun May 15, 2022 12:30 pm

Sulorie wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:09 pm Actually it is more than just rr40. :)
There is no hard barrier to earn the renown later, when you want to pve first but you will be a lot weaker compared to other players until you got back on track. You can mitigate it a bit by getting pve dungeon armor sets.
When you do pve you should use -xp scroll at all times, bought at quartermaster at warcamp.
Well, maybe I am misunderstanding what those RR lvl pre 40 net you. From my point of view it's "just" renown ability points and some PvP equipment (that you need to obtain nowadays due to ward anyway). What else is there to gain from those first 40RR?

It feels weird to me that you should use -exp scrolls just to stay on tracks with PvE progress tbh.

tazdingo

Post#4 » Sun May 15, 2022 1:12 pm

if you ding 40 with no rr then you just go ruin, a very defensive set with no rr requirement. every class has supportive abilities and playstyles that they can employ until they get better gear and improve their mainstats. you will hit rr60 super fast once in t4 anyway.

xp scrolls are mostly for seeing how high you can get your rr before hitting 40 so you can dunk in the mids, i once played with a mara who claimed to be 38/68. if you wanna pve to 40 and waddle into orvr in ruin you do that, you'll be fine

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#5 » Sun May 15, 2022 5:08 pm

The preponderance of "is this core facet of the game necessary in current year?" is not uncommon, but altogether misses the point of playing older games. You're here to experience an era in MMO development many many years removed from the current age. There are a vast number of things that might seem familiar and unrefined, and we have no significant desire to change course on them.

Is RR necessary? Yes, of course. Is it possible to change? Not without a wild exhaustion of server resources to tweak all the related systems into something equally coherent and meaningful. We could very quickly make a terrible mess by following your desires, however we have the wisdom and conviction to avoid such folly.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

BluIzLucky

Post#6 » Sun May 15, 2022 10:37 pm

Here's why I've been recommending it:
  • To reduce stat gap in PVP at CR40
  • It's the natural progress if you do a pvp+pve mix but use exp scroll on CR26-31 for bolster spike and 36-39 to extend T3 SC
  • Skip conq and gain vanq from orvr zone lock and bags (not anymore, now all is war crests)
  • To get invaders from city and forts (not anymore, as above)
  • Because completing PVE CR40 dungeons could take a month+ (not anymore, less runs and 1 day lockout)
  • PvE endgame gear is niche (not anymore, with HV,GB,BS,BL and Sent)
So for me 4/6 reasons to go cr40/rr50 have gone.. so if you want to go 40/40 or even 40/30, it's much less of a deal.

However and this is a fairly big one, especially if you want 40/0:
  • you now need to buy every pvp tier
This means on top of spending extra time leveling RR from 0-50 but not XP (since you maxed that already), while being weaker in t4, you also need to spend a good amount of crests on pvp sets much worse than your pve gear (some classes like 2H BG won't see better pvp gear until warlord/sov mix).

So.. in short, if you like pve and don't mind the slightly harder and inefficient lvling (xp without rp) T4 grind after reaching 40, feel free not to use Exp reduce scrolls, just see them as an option for everybody to play how they like (T3 can be pretty fun, etc. Etc.).

Personally, used them sparingly and mostly because my alts gets multiple levels of rested bonus between sessions and that was before all these new pve improvements.

And last thing, a benefit to pure pve lvling, tho not sure if this is true, but the RR difference between you and enemy matters in terms of how much RR you get for the kill, so you might get massive catchup RR really quickly when you are R0 killing R80 :lol:
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

Hellfireuzu

Post#7 » Thu May 19, 2022 2:17 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:08 pm The preponderance of "is this core facet of the game necessary in current year?" is not uncommon, but altogether misses the point of playing older games. You're here to experience an era in MMO development many many years removed from the current age. There are a vast number of things that might seem familiar and unrefined, and we have no significant desire to change course on them.

Is RR necessary? Yes, of course. Is it possible to change? Not without a wild exhaustion of server resources to tweak all the related systems into something equally coherent and meaningful. We could very quickly make a terrible mess by following your desires, however we have the wisdom and conviction to avoid such folly.
Honestly I know where this is coming from. Let me just point out several things.

1/ I was never talking about RR not being necessary. I was talking about RR pre 40 seeming to lack purpose.
2/ You've already changed the way of lvling in the game if I am correct? Isn't the EXP rate increased? (This ties into other possible changes of increased rates, such as droprate, crafting, just a whole onslaught of game balance things that will pop up once you tweak exp/money drops)
3/ "There are a vast number of things that might seem familiar and unrefined"/"is this core facet of the game necessary in current year?" - Unfortunately the game was never a big success so even "essential things" might not work as intended simply because the intent was different/broken.
4/ "... something equally coherent and meaningful..." I am kind of trying to point out that PvE at the moment doesn't really feel neither of those :/

Don't take this as an attack of any sorts, it's just me thinking aloud at this point.

Scottx125

Post#8 » Thu May 19, 2022 7:13 pm

Do you need it? No. Not at all. You can hit 40 with 0RR and still participate. Will you be as effective as someone with RR40 at level 40? Obviously not. It's ultimately your choice. Speed level to 40 with no renown rank and slowly level it up at level 40. Or, take an XP reduction potion and slowly level up your main level whilst levelling your renown rank. If it's your first character, I'd say just get to 40. If it's an alt. I'd say run SC's and slowly level it up.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

Ads
Darks63

Post#9 » Thu May 19, 2022 7:31 pm

Even if you want to do pve as a focus post 40 if your gear is bad/you have less renown abilities you will have trouble getting in some groups and some encounters will be more difficult if not impossible depending on class.
Tourist SW 40/50+<Zaxxed> Discotec 40/40+<IRONIC>

Former Pragg/Badlands Destro Iron Rock/Badlands Order player.

Sulorie

Post#10 » Thu May 19, 2022 9:11 pm

No point rushing to 40 as new player IMO.
Leveling slowly, getting used to game mechanics and looking into addons takes some time. Furthermore, using talismans is more cost efficient, when you dont change gear too frequently, especially when you don't have much money as new player.
Dying is no option.