Recent Topics

Ads

2H Kobs or 2h SM ?

Let's talk about... everything else
Scottx125

Re: 2H Kobs or 2h SM ?

Post#11 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:11 am

No tank has it's own reliable heal. But if you're set on being 2H solo both are bad choices. 2h KOTBS is hard to play as you're squishy and do less damage than other tanks and are primarily utility based for groups. SM is the better 2h tank however again you're squishy as far as tanks go. Realistically no class can truly solo unless you can kite like SW. I'd honestly say if you just want to go the best solo 2H tank go 2h Ironbreaker. It's more of a true tank following the logic of "me and my guard". No heals but it's the best pure tank of the order tanks and 2h it is okay. Again though if you had to choose between KOTBS and SM, go SM.

Simple breakdown:
KOTBS - Group based utility. Worst damage of the order tanks but you'll always find a spot in a warband. Difficulty: Easy to play hard to master.
Iron Breaker - Best pure tank. Okay 2H damage, amazing S/B tank for your guard. Difficulty: Easy.
Sword Master - Best 2H tank. Has great synergies with some classes and does the most 2H dmg of all the tanks, but pays for this by also being the most squishy. Difficulty: Moderate-Hard.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

Ads
nat3s

Post#12 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:12 am

SM can reach 70% parry without WoDS and 600+ health regen with tactics and hp/sec Sov. Add on top PoH, m1 pounce whilst retaining ok dmg and you've got a pretty good solo class. Not sham/am/wh/we/magus/engi level, but pretty good.
Defraz rr81 Magus
Defrack rr81 Mara
Induce rr77 Shaman
rr7x AM, Choppa, WL, WH, WE, BG

BluIzLucky

Post#13 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:26 am

nat3s wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:12 am SM can reach 70% parry without WoDS and 600+ health regen with tactics and hp/sec Sov. Add on top PoH, m1 pounce whilst retaining ok dmg and you've got a pretty good solo class. Not sham/am/wh/we/magus/engi level, but pretty good.
SMs can reach 85% base parry in Perfect stance (+Impeccable Reactions) without WoDS, though it's gonna cost you some regen+other stats.

If you have the gear for it SMs can be very versatile with a quick tactic and gear change you can boost your 1v1 chances quite a bit against any class, but yeah not S-tier soloer :)

And if only we had a ST punt with 2H you could say SM is better than Kotbs for competitive 6v6 and 24v24, but all the other things don't end up mattering as much.
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

paperclipdog

Post#14 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:41 am

rikthor89 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:43 pm Hi guys
I'm undecided between leveling up kobs or SM. I state that I am also interested in solo play so I am oriented towards an HP regen parry build.

I read that Kobs does not do much damage and cannot kill anyone if there is a healer who supports him instead Sm has more damage and more mobility and therefore has many more opportunities to win a 1vsx battle where there is also a healer.

On the other hand, I have read that the Sm is less resistant than the Kobs .

so I would like to know from you if these rumors are true or is it just people who complain about their class and would like it to be enhanced? it would be enough for me to reproduce more or less the damage and resistance of my chosen 2h with build parry regen hp is it possible on SM or Kobs?
You will never win 1vx against skilled players with a healer. Especially not with a 2h Tank and especially especially not without a heal debuff. If your expectation as SM is that you'll kill 2 or 3man groups with healers you will be very disappointed (unless they suck ass).

That being said SM can get very tanky, does decent dmg and is harder to kite than some other tanks, so it's an ok bet for solo roaming. Not gonna win vs competetive solo/1v1 players on better classes tho, but very few players do that **** properly anyway.

DoomedDragon

Post#15 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:17 pm

BluIzLucky wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:26 am
SMs can reach 85% base parry in Perfect stance (+Impeccable Reactions) without WoDS, though it's gonna cost you some regen+other stats.

If you have the gear for it SMs can be very versatile with a quick tactic and gear change you can boost your 1v1 chances quite a bit against any class, but yeah not S-tier soloer :)

And if only we had a ST punt with 2H you could say SM is better than Kotbs for competitive 6v6 and 24v24, but all the other things don't end up mattering as much.
How do you reach 85% parry??
Mind sharing for an aspiring SM? :)

Fenris78

Post#16 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:57 pm

50% base parry (wich is not 50% against other lv40 players, it's less) + 25% eagle flight + 10% perfect defenses.

In reality you have like 3% (base from WS alone) + 18% (renown) + 8-14% (gear) + other buffs (tactics + proc from Crimsonwind / Eagle flight / WoDS) wich can bring you up to 84-88% at absolute best against other players (while channeling), or a constant 45-60% parry (without WoDS).

In PvE you can go up to 110% (or a constant 65-80% depending on stuff and rotation), wich is plenty enough to tank bosses damage spikes (and relieve you healers job).

BluIzLucky

Post#17 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:20 am

DoomedDragon wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:17 pm
Spoiler:
BluIzLucky wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:26 am

How do you reach 85% parry??
Mind sharing for an aspiring SM? :)
Renown: 18%
Eagle Flight: 25% (43%)
Great Weapon Master: 5% (48%)
Perfect Defense (In Perfect Stance): 10% (58%)
5 Piece Bloodlord: 9% (67%)
2 piece Warlord (boots+Cloak) or Victorious (Cloak+Helm+ring): 4% (71%)
Jewel: Genesis Fragment Warrior and Undying, Rough Gunbad Ruby, Vict/Sent ring: 14% (85%)
Weapon: Crimsonwind, while proc doesn't stack with EF or WoDS, it still very nice when those are not up. I suppose you could go for the 2% Parry 2H from T4 Influence but it's meh.

So you got between 50% (normal stance, no EF, WoDS and Crimson proc) and 110% (perfect stance with WoDS) before considering WS/Str*7.5% parry calculation and any parry reducers.

if you wanna go full parry lol, stack WS talis and 120 from renown and you'll end up with around 680-740 WS, which will get you about ~25% parry against tanks with no str and ~6% against DPS.
Then add in Impeccable Reactions for a 100% parry every 5 secs, Vaul's Buffer (absorb anything not parried) or Calming Winds.

Try with this Mastery Spec

Is it good? Sure, as long as they hit you from the front, also very good if you just take guard damage since all dmg types goes through parry checks :P

Note that BG can do the same with Anger Drives Me (30% Parry) and 10% Parry proc from weapon for 5% less max parry, but only one tactic, stacking WS is actually not bad and way better max parry uptime (not having to use EF pretty much every rotation) while arguably bringing more utility, of course they don't have as much absorbs or WoDS.
BG version
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

Qwack

Post#18 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:11 pm

Well Knights are the easiest tank to play. They used to be Very OP when RuneFang was unnerfed and the mastery slot was in a better channel. However, both SM and Knight have their place in any group.
Destro: [Agony] Qwack Shammy 80+, Krakkenn Chosen 79 and Mincer Choppa 70+
Order: [Kill Team] Krakken Knight 80+

Ads