Recent Topics

Ads

Blast potions pros & cons debate

Let's talk about... everything else
tazdingo

Re: Blast potions pros & cons debate

Post#11 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:06 pm

yeah i've also heard the lag command given multiple times, tongue in cheek or not it must be rooted in some sort of truth

Ads
Alubert

Post#12 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:27 pm

Less aoe = better.
Hurub - Chopa
Wybrany - Chosen
Mroczniak - BG
Doczek - DoK
Alubert - KTB
Mnich -WP
Kregi - Slayer

wonshot

Post#13 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:32 pm

Caduceus wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:11 am Does anyone have (non-anecdotal) proof of blast pots causing lag recently, or of warbands trying to weaponize this lag? Of both I am highly skeptical.
I can probably dig up between 1-3 clips from over the last 2 years of playing in warbands, where i managed to catch footage of lagging out.
But in none of them will i be able to clearly stress that this is happening because solely of blastpotions. Because some of it might be rendering lag, scrolling combattext spassing out from all the abilities etc.
however,

The more combat strings are getting calculated in a big clash, the more lag. i guess thats a safe assumption to make.
So if these blastpotions are only doing very minimal dmg, and adding extra combat strings in the log. In my mind atleast, that is a step forward getting rid of them of they potentially created worse performance and for very little possitive gain.
Bombling 92BW - Bombthebuilder 82Engi - Bombing 82SL - Bling 81Kobs - Orderling 80WP - Jackinabox 67WH
Gombling 85mSH- Chopling 83Chop - Notbombling 82Sorc - Powerhouse 81Zeal - Goldbag 80Mara - Smurfling 75Sham -Blobling 66BO

Caduceus

Post#14 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:44 pm

wonshot wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:32 pm
Caduceus wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:11 am Does anyone have (non-anecdotal) proof of blast pots causing lag recently, or of warbands trying to weaponize this lag? Of both I am highly skeptical.
I can probably dig up between 1-3 clips from over the last 2 years of playing in warbands, where i managed to catch footage of lagging out.
But in none of them will i be able to clearly stress that this is happening because solely of blastpotions. Because some of it might be rendering lag, scrolling combattext spassing out from all the abilities etc.
however,

The more combat strings are getting calculated in a big clash, the more lag. i guess thats a safe assumption to make.
So if these blastpotions are only doing very minimal dmg, and adding extra combat strings in the log. In my mind atleast, that is a step forward getting rid of them of they potentially created worse performance and for very little possitive gain.

Well, if you believes it shows that blast potions cause lag then I'd love to see it.

Blast pots weren't of negligible effectiveness though. They dealt a lot of damage albeit spread out over a long period. I treated it like having an extra dot ticking on a blob of enemies.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

normanis

Post#15 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:26 pm

there is unlimited debuff slot how many blast potions can trow on u (all server can trow on u pots and u will basicly will got dc because all that damage what counts on u in sec)
. and there is limited debuff slot for such abilities like napal/myst/rain of fire. work only strongest. so why potions should be stronger better than 13 point abilities?
i hope blast potions will never come back
p.s also knowing that your trowed blast potion can make enemy dc/lag its cheating.
"Iron Within, Iron Without!"

normanis

Post#16 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:30 pm

i remember half year ago video where there was command in city siege lets lag tham out. (trowing blast potions)
"Iron Within, Iron Without!"

Kpi

Post#17 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:35 pm

Sinde the blasting potion have been removed, i can play in fortress without lag... So it is welcome
Spoiler:
Kpihuss -- WP 88
Kpithrogrim -- IB 83
Kpigaragrim -- Slayer 81
Kpikossar -- SW 77
Kpirmedes -- RP 68+
Kpiboris -- KOTBS 65+

Acidic

Post#18 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:39 pm

I have not seen any noticeable change after the stop of these pots.
Still get lagged out on certain groups starting fights.
Typically I don’t lag much except a few organised groups. So I can not see the link of pots and lag.

Ads
Tom

Post#19 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:46 pm

Im certainly no programmer and I didn't experience any lag in the situations where they were used, either by myself, party member or enemy(ies), but if it causes lag issues, what about all those AOE abilities that saw increased number of targets a while back?
Personally I'd be delighted to see less AOE in general.

Scottx125

Post#20 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:10 pm

They don't really add much and the potential lag impact in an already laggy game isn't worth it.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.