Recent Topics

Ads

Vale Walker Jewel Slot 3?

Let's talk about... everything else
meatcpu

Vale Walker Jewel Slot 3?

Post#1 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:26 pm

Was it a conscious design choice to make the VW jewel a slot 3 item? I was under the impression from the Sentinel and Ranked jewelry that slot 3 was meant for jewelry that holds epic talismans. It has the toughest requirements to obtain from the set, but it's hard to justify using it over the tali rings. Per Hargrim in the recent live stream "Vale-Walker is Invader level gear". The Invader, Warlord, & Sovereign jewels are all slot 4.

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Re: Vale Walker Jewel Slot 3?

Post#2 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:03 pm

Slot 3 is intended for PvE set jewelry
Slot 4 is intended for PvP/RvR set jewelry
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

meatcpu

Post#3 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:21 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:03 pm Slot 3 is intended for PvE set jewelry
I assumed slot 3 was being used to prevent doubling up on epic talismans. Should the Ranked ring be slot 4 then? Should Beastlord be slot 3? I think Beastlord, Sent, and VW are the only 3 armor set's with jewelry from pve right now. Gunbad and Bastion Stair offer cloaks instead. Maybe this is more consistent if one accounts for unreleased content?

I don't know about other classes, but a DoK can choose between losing the sent ring, or having no way to get bonuses from other armor sets without losing the VW block bonus.
Last edited by meatcpu on Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#4 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:32 pm

meatcpu wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:21 pm
wargrimnir wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:03 pm Slot 3 is intended for PvE set jewelry
Should the Ranked ring be slot 4 then? I assumed slot 3 was being used to prevent doubling up on epic talismans. I haven't checked exhaustively, but aren't many other slot 3 set bonus jewelry items from PvE besides the Sentinel ring. Gunbad and Bastion Stair offer cloaks instead. Maybe this makes more sense if one accounts for unreleased content.

I haven't compared all the set bonuses but for Shield DoK/WP there is no way to mix and match gear and set bonuses without losing the HV block bonus or the epic talisman since there is only one gear piece to interchange without dropping the sentinel ring.
Ranked should be slot 4, if it's not, then it was designed that way. I can imagine the reason being they wanted the ring specifically to be another piece of increased power for people participating in ranked. It would be less likely that someone would bother grinding for it if it were a slot 4 ring like it's supposed to be because people that play ranked at a high level already have their slot 4 rings accounted for.

meatcpu

Post#5 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:36 pm

Slot 3 sort of renders the hardest part of the VW line less significant in similar way, but it makes sense to be more accommodating of end game players. I was editing my post when you replied. Should Beastlord be slot 3 then since it's for PvE gear?

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#6 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:51 pm

meatcpu wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:36 pm Slot 3 sort of renders the hardest part of the VW line less significant in similar way, but it makes sense to be more accommodating of end game players. I was editing my post when you replied. Should Beastlord be slot 3 then since it's for PvE gear?
Beastlord is an entry level t4 gear, the item level on it is very low and was implemented before we started using specific item slots for jewelry rewards. The specific slots are really to limit how many 2pc bonuses you can easily stack in mid to high-end gear.

meatcpu

Post#7 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:11 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:51 pm
meatcpu wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:36 pm Slot 3 sort of renders the hardest part of the VW line less significant in similar way, but it makes sense to be more accommodating of end game players. I was editing my post when you replied. Should Beastlord be slot 3 then since it's for PvE gear?
Beastlord is an entry level t4 gear, the item level on it is very low and was implemented before we started using specific item slots for jewelry rewards. The specific slots are really to limit how many 2pc bonuses you can easily stack in mid to high-end gear.
Is it a PvE vs PvP thing or a limiting set bonus thing? It would have to be both since Invader/Warlord/Sov can enjoy both the epic talisman and set bonuses.

If the answer were "VW is a catchup set with a lower threshold to complete than other sets and doesn't deserve the same perks", that would at least seem consistent.

Thanks again for the content. Was really happy for my Sheild Dok when HV and the set was released. I had considered in past pointing out the gear gap for DoK block sets between Beastlord and Sov. This fills that gap wonderfully. That's probably why I'm so hung up on this set. There's not much more I can do to improve my Sacrifice gear till endgame. At least not armor-wise. (BL cloak being a noteworthy exception)

Just wanted to know that someone made it this way on purpose. Hopefully for a good and consistent reason.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#8 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:30 pm

meatcpu wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:11 pm Is it a PvE vs PvP thing or a limiting set bonus thing? It would have to be both since Invader/Warlord/Sov can enjoy both the epic talisman and set bonuses.

If the answer were "VW is a catchup set with a lower threshold to complete than other sets and doesn't deserve the same perks", that would at least seem consistent.

Thanks again for the content. Was really happy for my Sheild Dok when HV and the set was released. I had considered in past pointing out the gear gap for DoK block sets between Beastlord and Sov. This fills that gap wonderfully. That's probably why I'm so hung up on this set. There's not much more I can do to improve my Sacrifice gear till endgame. At least not armor-wise. (BL cloak being a noteworthy exception)

Just wanted to know that someone made it this way on purpose. Hopefully for a good and consistent reason.
It is a catch-up set in many ways. VW gets you to a decent level of gear relatively quickly, with the exchange being a fair amount of PvP required throughout the Beastlord and VW sets. The PvE alternative would be running the full Gunbad set for the wards, and then running the Sentinel dungeons which all have some lockouts. Completing BL and VW don't provide any wards, which is also intended. I'm not sure if we're going to expand it another step, but that's certainly a possibility down the line provided content lines up with it. It would probably be related to Land of the Dead in some way.

Ads