Recent Topics

Ads

Diminishing returns for Tanks.

Let's talk about... everything else
Klod91

Diminishing returns for Tanks.

Post#1 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:19 am

Is there such a thing as being too tanky? At what point stacking more survivability becomes inefficient?

Ads
Aethilmar

Re: Diminishing returns for Tanks.

Post#2 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:56 am

Well there are the stat soft caps (1050) and hard caps and those are fairly self evident. But "too tanky" usually comes long before that and depends on the situation. WB usually is better with more tankiness and SC with less (and some focus on offense).

Generally speaking you are too tanky if you are surviving long past your other group members when you wipe. You could have used some of those defensive stats/tactic slots to help boost your group's ability to kill the enemy instead of being killed.

So when are you "too tanky"? Depends on your group comp, who you are guarding most of the time and which tank you are playing. IB, for example, can long outlive everyone in their group is they go full defensive. SM, otoh, will never reach that level of tank.

phononHYPE

Post#3 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:57 am

If your still standing 1-2 minutes after the rest of your party is gone, or if they have run back from the respawn, then you might be too tanky. You can probably swap out a tactic to something 'fun' if this happens, depending on which tank you are.
Chasing the golden carrot that is my alts.

my 2h choppa ideas
learn about Initiative

tazdingo

Post#4 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:34 pm

there are active defenses and there are passive defenses, defensive stats and abilities are passive defenses. a choppa parrying your cc and mauling your healer is a pretty big dent in your survivability that could have only been prevented with active defenses, like a balanced build and a reasonable amount of investment in strength

Klod91

Post#5 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:12 pm

Speaking from the PoV of Kotbs specifically (if that matters). But my question was in general, not just as kotbs (otherwise I would have asked in the corresponding Forum).
Last edited by Klod91 on Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Klod91

Post#6 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:20 pm

The reason this question came up, is because I was watching ReBiff's stream, and he had a meme fight with a BG who was hitting him for 19 dmg. To which ReBiff said that when you go that tanky you become a liability. I'm sure lots of people will disagree with that statement, but I'm trying to be openminded here.

detrap

Post#7 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:17 am

Klod91 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:20 pm The reason this question came up, is because I was watching ReBiff's stream, and he had a meme fight with a BG who was hitting him for 19 dmg. To which ReBiff said that when you go that tanky you become a liability. I'm sure lots of people will disagree with that statement, but I'm trying to be openminded here.
Like others have said, it depends whether its Orvr/City/Scenarios and the role you are playing in each specific instance. Generally for Orvr you ideally want to have maximum mitigation and avoidance. You are the wall that stops the enemy warband from rolling over your dps and healers. From there as the fights scale down in numbers the more you can sacrifice mitigation for damage output, although it's still recommended to maintain high avoidance in all three instances as you become a liability if you take too much damage from guard or directly (healers have to focus heal you instead of the dps).
Knight 8x - IB 8x - SM 8x / Chosen 3x - BO 4x - BG 5x

Asderas27

Post#8 » Sat May 01, 2021 8:12 am

No such thing as too tanky. If you are dying before your guarded dps, you have fked up.
The Unlikely Plan
Ramjumper - Knight of the Blazing Sun
Shewhispers - Swordmaster
Punishingknock - Ironbreaker
TUP
Bellowabuser - Chosen
Moralepumper - Black Orc
Mindkiller - Blackguard

Ads
roadkillrobin

Post#9 » Sat May 01, 2021 8:30 am

Depending on how much of an issue the tank remains to be towards the enemy team when rest of your team have died. If you're able to keep em snared, prevent them from caping objectives and screwing up progression etc then there's no limits really.