Recent Topics

Ads

Enemy Markers on enemy players

Let's talk about... everything else
wonshot

Enemy Markers on enemy players

Post#1 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:34 pm

Hey RoR community. So this one has me pretty torn, so I was wondering how other people view this interaction.

With the Enemy addon you can mark key-players and get extra information about their location when you spot the on the battlefield.
As an example if I was afraid of Svarz's SH I could use the addon to mark him, and if a fight is happening in praag orvr the enemy marker would should me an arrow over his head if he gets involved and in range. I dont personally mind that.

Where I think the addon does more damage than good, is when the Enemy markers on enemies are showing before you render and actually see the models of the players ingame.
Example of how I had a marker on VII's warband leader and then know their location before anyone could even see their models coming towards us:
https://clips.twitch.tv/PlayfulSnappyBe ... 6FjPN1fGGL

To some extend I can see this promoting battles, less roaming finding nothing, but on the other hand I can see how this feature kills any suprice flanks, and it takes some of the excitement away from roaming.
I have pretty much all warband leaders on destro marked with an Enemy arrow, and 9/10 times I know pretty much who is about to hit us and a rough estimate about their playstyle plus strength in terms of fighting. Is this too much information to get, or is it fine?
Bombling 92BW - Bombthebuilder 82Engi - Bombing 82SL - Bling 81Kobs - Orderling 80WP - Jackinabox 67WH
Gombling 85mSH- Chopling 83Chop - Notbombling 82Sorc - Powerhouse 81Zeal - Goldbag 80Mara - Smurfling 75Sham -Blobling 66BO

Ads
Akalukz

Re: Enemy Markers on enemy players

Post#2 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:42 pm

This is kind of new. before the markers would disappear on loss of "range" but now I have noticed they stick around a lot longer / further than they used to. not sure what happened to make that be the case, but it is a bit broken. If you lose the marker when you lose LoS i think its great, but right now its broken imo
-= Agony =-

wonshot

Post#3 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:46 pm

Akalukz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:42 pm This is kind of new. before the markers would disappear on loss of "range" but now I have noticed they stick around a lot longer / further than they used to. not sure what happened to make that be the case, but it is a bit broken. If you lose the marker when you lose LoS i think its great, but right now its broken imo
Yeah it seems like something has changed over time with the Markers. Sometimes they bug out if the players you have marked are breaking too much distance, but if you keep staying outside of clip-range you can keep the markers showing somewhat accurately, giving you more visual information than the game allows you to see.
most of the time, i dont think it breaks pvp. but when you can prevent getting jumped it takes some of the fun out of roaming imho

Also hi lutz.
Bombling 92BW - Bombthebuilder 82Engi - Bombing 82SL - Bling 81Kobs - Orderling 80WP - Jackinabox 67WH
Gombling 85mSH- Chopling 83Chop - Notbombling 82Sorc - Powerhouse 81Zeal - Goldbag 80Mara - Smurfling 75Sham -Blobling 66BO

yuaa2

Post#4 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:33 pm

markers only appears if you mouse over target you marked before, when you go far enought of this target marker disappear

nibbles

Post#5 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:39 pm

Buffhead works in same/similiar way with keeping a targeting eye on toons. Buffhead also losses target after distance.
The changes to enemy channel system has solved the disappearances within enemy distances; do any officer channel member have to be within range to keep this up?

p00ky

Post#6 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:03 pm

I really have to agree with your thoughts on this Bombling. Its not only the fact that you can see the marked enemy before their models are even in vision, its also how you can see the enemy through walls/floors etc in keep defenses/forts/cities if they have a marker on them.

Im not against being able to use arrows on key targets but, in its current state, it totally ruins the possibility of flanking or trying to perform any "out of the ordinary" movement tactics to catch the enemy out of position....which I feel is part of the fun in roaming in more organized groups/warbands.

NSKaneda

Post#7 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:51 pm

I consider it cheating and do not use it but I do see it on fairly regular basis since my guildies and regular team mates are always marked with perma arrow (my UI profiles are shared across realms). And it's been this way for years (we've used enemy markers in live after all).

The amount of battlefield information and target-finding one can achieve with putting a permanent marker on an enemy is staggering - but like with noob buttons nothing can be done about it except for individual player decision not to do it.
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *