Recent Topics

Ads

Dark Elf quests

Let's talk about... everything else
arorwne
Suspended

Dark Elf quests

Post#1 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:03 am

I know that this should probably go over on github, but I feel like this is a much more image friendly place to put it. If you feel the need to, freely move it, but please read it. Thank you very much!

The crux of the matter is that the Dark Elf quests are bugged in the way that the "Quest End" text is IDENTICAL to "Quest Begin" text. This doesn't need to be a downside(say, Ork quests could perfectly function in this form), but Dark Elf quests have this vicious and twisted air to them where without half of their structure, it kinda falls apart. This is what I'm talking about:

How it is:

https://ibb.co/1RVPrr1
https://ibb.co/pzdGBNX
https://ibb.co/nrZMDZZ

Now, notice how what Gorthan Rakar says when he gives the quest to you and what he says when you finish is the SAME THING. Third picture is just an example that this isn't an isolated incident, this keeps going on.

How it should be: (I created an Empire character just to test it out. I then did the same thing with other factions and they all work properly ; can't speak for later content)

https://ibb.co/BLcRRJ9
https://ibb.co/K0Vc76K

Notice how what Griffon Recruiter says(="Quest Begin") and what Samuel Twitty says(="Quest End") are different. That's how it should work. Here's the following quest, "Wolves among sheep", just to prove it is working(it is in entire Nordland and Norsca):

https://ibb.co/rGFmzM7
https://ibb.co/bsXLkTC

There you have it. Thank you for your time.

Ads
arorwne
Suspended

Re: Dark Elf quests

Post#2 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:15 pm

Right, any way I could read these, I'd agree outside the game or what have you. So many quests are flawed, broken in this exact way and you see it the best if you do Chrace / Isle leveling. That bit on the HE side is so beautiful, so fulfilling, I can't put it into words.

Look, I don't need any text on generic quests, for all I care, it could say "go to x, do y". But Zone Quests, Outpost Quests and, these must be fixed, Epic Quests...yeah, when one half of these is missing, the entire experience is rather damaged.

Again, I'd just agree to a text file with quest texts.

Community, what do you all think?

phononHYPE

Post#3 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:20 pm

Well, check the Bugtracker (top of page) for these, and if there are no entries, go make some. I personally love knocking out quests, and know of 2-3 in DE lands that I had to abandon because they were broken. It'll be a pain to hunt those down, so please, please check the Bugtracker and submit appropriate quest bugs.
Chasing the golden carrot that is my alts.

my 2h choppa ideas
learn about Initiative

arorwne
Suspended

Post#4 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:37 pm

phononHYPE wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:20 pm Well, check the Bugtracker (top of page) for these, and if there are no entries, go make some. I personally love knocking out quests, and know of 2-3 in DE lands that I had to abandon because they were broken. It'll be a pain to hunt those down, so please, please check the Bugtracker and submit appropriate quest bugs.
It's too much, entire pairings suffer because of this. And it's not "Return Fire" broken, it's simply that half of a Quest Text is missing(check my pictures, it's all perfectly understandable) and that ruins immersion like no tomorrow.

I am not against doing this, but I'll need a guarantee you're gonna take a look at this(and do something), devs. Deal?

phononHYPE

Post#5 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:47 pm

I guarantee the only reply you'll see in the forums from a dev is "put it in the bugtracker". And they're pretty good about working through the PQs and quests to fix them. Go back and look at any random weekly update, good chance there will be PQ and quests listed as fixed. Also recall that there is a small, volunteer, group of devs working on all this.

So, patience, and bugtrack.
Chasing the golden carrot that is my alts.

my 2h choppa ideas
learn about Initiative

arorwne
Suspended

Post#6 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:12 pm

phononHYPE wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:47 pm I guarantee the only reply you'll see in the forums from a dev is "put it in the bugtracker". And they're pretty good about working through the PQs and quests to fix them. Go back and look at any random weekly update, good chance there will be PQ and quests listed as fixed. Also recall that there is a small, volunteer, group of devs working on all this.

So, patience, and bugtrack.
I fully understand that(also that what most play aka RvR should take precedence). But I also want at least some semblance of certainty that my work will have an influence. They work on it, but if I were to do this, it'd also be quite an undertaking. So, I need at least an reassurance, if not guarantee itself. But we first need to define somethings:

1. Do these pieces of text even exist
2. Can it be fixed(kinda tedious, a lot of text editing, but I believe so ; why? See T1 Empire or HE)
3. Why haven't at least T1's been fixed already(I mean, it sometimes takes 5 minutes, possibly less, to start noticing this)
4. I am not happy with posting on GitHub, I'd much rather have a direct communication.

tazdingo

Post#7 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:54 pm

many quest lines seem to be bugged in odd ways, i just returned after about a year and was introducing a friend to the game but we hit problems with chaos, emp and greenskin t1 quests that were fully playable last time i was playing. i'm not sure if something quest related was fundamentally changed in that time

dalen
Developer

Post#8 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:24 am

arorwne wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:03 am I know that this should probably go over on github, but I feel like this is a much more image friendly place to put it. If you feel the need to, freely move it, but please read it. Thank you very much!
You can just drag and drop images into Github issues. Much simpler to add images there than it is here actually.

Source Developer

Ads
dalen
Developer

Post#9 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:35 am

But regarding the issue with the quests, the info with ending texts for quests wasn't captured from the live servers. For Empire quests this has largely been added by watching old blurry Youtube videos from players questing on the live servers, and then copying the text shown when they talk to quest givers.

Unfortunately there are very few videos available though of questing in the High Elf/Dark Elf areas from the live servers. So a lot of those texts are simply lost, and we might need to get people to rewrite appropriate quest texts, which is quite a lot of work for hundreds of quests.

But for example this old blog contained info on a lot of the Empire quests that was really useful to us for fully restoring those quests: http://marrek.blog113.fc2.com/blog-category-14.html

So if you have similar info for the Elf quests, or videos of questing in those areas from the live servers, I'm sure Lheana would be very interested in that.
Source Developer

arorwne
Suspended

Post#10 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:17 pm

dalen wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:35 am But regarding the issue with the quests, the info with ending texts for quests wasn't captured from the live servers. For Empire quests this has largely been added by watching old blurry Youtube videos from players questing on the live servers, and then copying the text shown when they talk to quest givers.

Unfortunately there are very few videos available though of questing in the High Elf/Dark Elf areas from the live servers. So a lot of those texts are simply lost, and we might need to get people to rewrite appropriate quest texts, which is quite a lot of work for hundreds of quests.

But for example this old blog contained info on a lot of the Empire quests that was really useful to us for fully restoring those quests: http://marrek.blog113.fc2.com/blog-category-14.html

So if you have similar info for the Elf quests, or videos of questing in those areas from the live servers, I'm sure Lheana would be very interested in that.
Yes, I was afraid of that. Good thing that we have anything. With that said, how come we have entry text and not end text? And why is H.Elf T1 intact? It's odd that back when the Server was in its infancy, the process used for gathering data(which I completely forgot the name of) managed to intercept and pickup complex things but hasn't plain things like Quest Texts.

Regardless, not every Quest needs this, only important ones(anything that has a chain of sorts). It would still be 10s, if not several hundred quests, but at least it's not 1000+. So, that's something. :)

And this is 100% my fault. Should've helped with that or organized it somehow. Just goes to prove my theory. Thank you for being forthcoming.