Recent Topics

Ads

Uses for the ToK exp unlocks under your account

Let's talk about... everything else
Rapzel

Uses for the ToK exp unlocks under your account

Post#1 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:22 pm

Hi everybody!
As we all know the Tome of Knowledge is a pretty dull book to fill up with interesting and fun lore!
You have to run through multiple PQ stages (not even working atm lol :lol: ), speak with NPCs located in hard to
get places and find many unique objects in the world and what you get for this is usually just some "lore".
Sometimes you get some very low level and in general bad jewels or useless trophies that don't do much more after the gear change.
People who play the game for lore and want to spend their time digging around in the little lore that has been saved often struggle to find people to play with.
I don't even know if BT still runs their Gunbad expeditions anymore lol.
But a change to incentivize people to get more ToK would really help those guys out!

Modern games have improved upon their achievement systems to yield different types of rewards for difficult achievements,
in WoW you get unique pets and mounts e.g. for defeating bosses on hardest difficulties or earning a good rating in arena. In LoL you get access to new abilities.
Would it not be fun if that was the case here as well that you got something for playing on your account?

In WoW there's so called "Allied races" where you need to complete certain achievements and do a very fun questline to unlock "allied races"
(Nightborne, Void Elf, Lightforged Draenei, Highmountain Tauren, Dark Iron Dwarf, Mag'har Orc, Kul Tiran Human, Zandalari Troll, Mechagnome and Vulpera),
now I know there is currently no plans on introducing new races or careers into RoR that did not exist in WAR, so a solution like that would not work right now at least (lol).
But we could take the LoL approach where you would unlock new features of the game while leveling up your ToK (kind of like a tutorial lol).
A lot of people seem to be struggling when they are new to this game and understanding the basics, what to do and picking the correct career.
The experience for many seems to be overwhelming and there's not much information on the beginners forum about what to actually do.
So to prevent people from picking a career that they don't want to play later on (like AM or WH e.g.).
A level 1 account could for example only pick the easiest one of the different types of archtypes on each side, such as:

Knight of the Blazing Sun, White Lion, Engineer and Warrior Priest on order

and

Chosen, Witch Elf, Magus and Disciple of Khaine (maybe Zealot since DoK can go DPS lol) on destro.

As you collect more achievements and gain more and more XP you would unlock new features such as Scenarios,
new careers and in the end ranked scenarios to help people understand the game and how it works.
Only give new players a limited amount of careers to choose from would also prevent them from picking the careers that are not in the meta.
We all know there is a big problem for all the top tier Order WB guilds to find new players to fill their meta warbands,
I think this would really help improve the quality of life for everyone.

What do you guys think? :lol:

Ads
Grock

Re: Uses for the ToK exp unlocks under your account

Post#2 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:24 pm

Is this who i think it is? :D

Generally speaking limiting access to classes like that in MMO is a terrible idea.
There is already long enough "tutorial" period of T1, and class difficulty isn't just one position on a linear scale - KotBS seems simple, but the underlying mechanics of tank play - guard, punt, etc - are more advanced than just spamming a dps rotation and running away when low on a damage dealer class.

Though i agree ToK unlocks could use some improvements, at least XP gains should be higher :)
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

Flet

Re: Uses for the ToK exp unlocks under your account

Post#3 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:20 pm

i have flat out not played games before because they made me jump through hoops to obtain the class i wanted to play. I know a lot of people these days see normal mmo play as 'accumulate a lot of alts', but i dislike alts. When i first started playing mmos you had to invest years of dedicated playing into a character and that character was effectively you in the game world. I have stuck to this mentality ever since.

Things like the ToK need to be finely balanced. If you make it too rewarding it will be seen as a tedious chore people are forced to do, and if you make it not worth doing then it will be seen as useless. The best solution is to make it a matter of prestige. Make it so ignoring it does not punish players, but that working on it gives people neat things they can show off.