Recent Topics

Ads

Adding New Classes?

Let's talk about... everything else
nebelwerfer

Adding New Classes?

Post#1 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:30 pm

Hello forum!

@Team Thank you guys, u are an amazing bunch who put in so much time and effort into thegame, big up for that.

I have a question for you in the context of the big reworks recently.

How about adding another class or two for the huge innovations? There are plenty of exciting ideas to choose from like dwarf ranger, goblin fanatic..

You seem to have so many ideas and willpower to put them into the game, but the game is very restricted by a limited number of classes and an even more limited skill tree. Sadly as a result, this leads to killing some beloved builds to make room for new, and that will always have a mixed response in the community.

It would be easier to get excited if its a brand new content and not rework. just a thought :)

thanks again for keeping RoR alive! : :mrgreen:

Ads
Gurf

Re: Adding New Classes?

Post#2 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:48 pm

Originally there was a Dwarf Hammerer in the live plans, think they even worked most of it out, not sure if it still exists somewhere in the code

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#3 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:42 pm

We can't really add new classes. The things that Torque worked on years ago were hacky reskins using an existing character and swapping abilities/appearances mostly using server code. It was years away from being added and that would only be as some kind of monster-play, which we didn't really want to add anyway. Pure experiement to see what was possible, and experiments like that tend to reveal new things about the client that we haven't understood before.

Properly adding new classes isn't structurally supported with the client from what I understand anyway. A lot of data structures are hard set for 12 classes on each realm. We wouldn't have anywhere near the manpower to create new assets, or even modify old assets, to match brand new classes so they have a reasonable amount of gear. Most ability icon assets are already in-use, so we would need to create all of those as well, not to mention designing a whole new class worth of tactics, abilities, fluff text, etc. Double all of that work, since you're not going to release a single new class, that would tip the server balance right over.

We've got plenty of other more realistic things that we need to finish implementing before anyone goes crazy and starts seriously trying to figure out how we can jam new classes into an already tight space.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

nebelwerfer

Post#4 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:04 am

You guys could fool me, with the extensive reworks of abilities and tactics I got the impression that the sky is the limit, ha! :o

However that the client is unsupportive of expanding the class pool is very sad news for those of us who would love to see something like dwarf ranger, orc shaman or goblin fanatic as playable classes someday.

I bet the community would understand that these new introductions could not be released on a high level of completion similar to established classes who arguably have too much, and that the gear sets also would have a very limited amount of appearances.

wargrimnir wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:42 pm We've got plenty of other more realistic things that we need to finish implementing before anyone goes crazy and starts seriously trying to figure out how we can jam new classes into an already tight space.

Though you look at it another way it would expand the space instead of tightening it :mrgreen: I hear ya though, and I really appreciate the reply!

Based on experience I can't help but to be an optimist .. :lol:

kmark101

Post#5 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:19 am

New classes are way too much work. However, sub-classes could be an option.

For example, a Dwarf Hammerer would be fully identical to the Ironbreaker in every sense, so no new assets should be created for it, it would just not be able to wear shield, but it's offensive skill values would be higher (ie. Heavy Blow hits for 400 damage on IB, it would hit for 600 damage on Hammerer, along this line).
Gryyw - Ironbreaker

Irraticate

Post#6 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:08 am

wargrimnir wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:42 pm We can't really add new classes. The things that Torque worked on years ago were hacky reskins using an existing character and swapping abilities/appearances mostly using server code. It was years away from being added and that would only be as some kind of monster-play, which we didn't really want to add anyway. Pure experiement to see what was possible, and experiments like that tend to reveal new things about the client that we haven't understood before.

Properly adding new classes isn't structurally supported with the client from what I understand anyway. A lot of data structures are hard set for 12 classes on each realm. We wouldn't have anywhere near the manpower to create new assets, or even modify old assets, to match brand new classes so they have a reasonable amount of gear. Most ability icon assets are already in-use, so we would need to create all of those as well, not to mention designing a whole new class worth of tactics, abilities, fluff text, etc. Double all of that work, since you're not going to release a single new class, that would tip the server balance right over.

We've got plenty of other more realistic things that we need to finish implementing before anyone goes crazy and starts seriously trying to figure out how we can jam new classes into an already tight space.
Is it possible to add a 4th path/spec to each class, or is it under a same sort of restriction that adding another class is?