Recent Topics

Ads

Server Development Help

Let's talk about... everything else
Jajomurphy

Server Development Help

Post#1 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:39 pm

I was directed to this forum from the IRC on the War-Emu site, so I hope I'm in the right place.

I've successfully made and launched a server on the localhost, a fairly straightforward process which I am extremely grateful for. The developers of War-Emu are an amazing bunch. I've run into a few issues that I need help resolving, however.

The first issue is: How do I make the server available to my friends? I've noticed that the launcher automatically searches for localhost, and there does not seem to be an option to change that. RoR uses a separate launcher, I assume in part to fix this?

I've considered using a third party program such as hamachi to attempt to circumvent this but I'd prefer if there was another option. The reason I want to have our own server for this is we intend to use it as a roleplaying server and we would like to set up our characters and customize them to our liking without a grind.

The second issue: Assuming I can get them onto the server, I've noticed that chat does not seem to work on the localhost server. No player-input messages show up in chat, I've changed the filters so it's clearly server-side not client.

Thirdly: The gm command .add item does not appear to work, though because I don't have a working chat log I can't tell if this is input error on my end or a problem with the server. The account has gm level 3, and the world seems to be fairly stable outside of the chat issue.

Fourth: NPCs don't spawn in Altdorf, I haven't checked the Chaos city yet, but I went to the market figuring I'd buy items to at least get my character set up and there was no npcs in the City. Additionally gates were down all across the city effectively cutting off most of it.

I would greatly appreciate any help, and thank you in advance.

Ads
chaoscode

Re: Server Development Help

Post#2 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:41 pm

Chances of getting help setting up your own server to compete with this one is slim to none. Just being honest.

Jajomurphy

Post#3 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:43 pm

Have absolutely zero interest in competing, intend to play on RoR as well. Just looking to roleplay with some friends since the Warhammer universe is one of the most interesting and evolving fantasy universes there is.

Azarael

Post#4 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:59 pm

I've considered using a third party program such as hamachi to attempt to circumvent this but I'd prefer if there was another option. The reason I want to have our own server for this is we intend to use it as a roleplaying server and we would like to set up our characters and customize them to our liking without a grind.
Hamachi is what I actually use for my own local server - attempting to make it public in the conventional fashion did not work for me, and there is no assistance available in doing so.
The second issue: Assuming I can get them onto the server, I've noticed that chat does not seem to work on the localhost server. No player-input messages show up in chat, I've changed the filters so it's clearly server-side not client.
That's something weird. When I was using War-Emu code, the chat worked.
Thirdly: The gm command .add item does not appear to work, though because I don't have a working chat log I can't tell if this is input error on my end or a problem with the server. The account has gm level 3, and the world seems to be fairly stable outside of the chat issue.
Check your log. There's an issue with the War-Emu repo in which the byte for GM level is actually an sbyte in the DB (or the other way around, I can't remember which way it is.) If that's the case, an exception will be thrown. Change the type of the field in the DB.
Fourth: NPCs don't spawn in Altdorf, I haven't checked the Chaos city yet, but I went to the market figuring I'd buy items to at least get my character set up and there was no npcs in the City. Additionally gates were down all across the city effectively cutting off most of it.
If NPCs don't spawn in Altdorf, they probably weren't implemented there in the War-Emu build. That build is ancient at this point.

Jajomurphy

Post#5 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:03 pm

So hamachi works as a means of making a local server "public"?

And is there another build available for use? I'll be entirely honest I googled "Warhammer Online Emulator" and the first 10 results were War-Emu so I naturally chose that one. I haven't looked much beyond that.

Thank you so much for your help.

Azarael

Post#6 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:10 pm

Hamachi works for this purpose, yes.

The only public build of the emu is the War-Emu build.

Jajomurphy

Post#7 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:11 pm

Alright, thank you very much for your help. I'll get to work polishing it up then, and I'll make it a point to post any improvements I find.

Jajomurphy

Post#8 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:18 pm

Now, I've resolved the .add item issue but the chat still appears to be broken. Does anyone have any idea how to resolve that?

My goal is to have 5-6 people, 10 at most, online for a roleplay campaign. Chat is pretty damn important to that goal, lol. I reinstalled the compiled repack from war-emu but did not reinstall the db. Is chat being effected by db files or am I just SOL?

Ads