Recent Topics

Ads

Warhammer Lore question

Let's talk about... everything else
ekalbels9

Warhammer Lore question

Post#1 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:39 pm

As a completely new Warhammer player, while researching about this game/RoR server (mostly gameplay stuff not lore), I noticed Warhammer lore to be, from bits I gathered, pure awesomeness of grim and doom. I dig it a lot.

I got really interested about it now, and would like to read/learn about Warhammer more than just PvP-ing in RoR.

Is playing RoR PvE enough to learn about WH lore in any meaningful/gripping way from a perspective of total WH universe newbie, or should I look for external sources? If so, anyone can recommend me some good Youtube videos that are suited for complete WH newbie who wants to get into it and learn great deal about it?

RoR and lore related question: if I start PvPing from beginning and naturally level-up by playing PvP can I still come back and do all PvE stuff anytime I want or I'll "overlevel PvE content" and get locked out of it.

Thanks!
Last edited by ekalbels9 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
Ysaran

Re: Warhammer Lore question

Post#2 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:42 pm

No you can always come back. I suggest you to level up only in PvP and then do PvE once you are r40
Zputadenti

Senlui

Post#3 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:53 pm

The grimdark of Warhammer is what makes it my absolutely favourite setting. They did a good job in this game representing the nature of the races and their relationships with other races, and the quest line is an interesting read. Your Tome of Knowledge will also fill up with short stories and snippets as you work through the game.

Worth noting, is that "Age of Reckoning" was created as a split from Warhammer's canon of the time whereby the Storm of Chaos hadn't happened - Age of Reckoning replaces that. There were some novels written for AoR which you should be able to find on fleabay:

Empire in Chaos by Anthony Reynolds
Dark Storm Gathering by Chris Wraight
Forged by Chaos by C. L. Werner

There are also some short stories out there for AoR:

Grimnir's Paradox by Nathan Long.
A short story about a dwarf slayer

A Fistful of Choppas by Mike Lee.
A short story about an orc choppa

The Sword is Forged by Nathan Long.
A short story about a Knight of the Blazing Sun

Cruel as Ice, Cold as Steel by Mike Lee.
A short story about the Blackguard

If you have a look on the RP forums, I recall someone cut and paste them and added some pictures.

The Collectors Edition of the game also included a rather nifty graphic novel called Prelude to WAR by Graham McNeill.

Overall, if you like the Warhammer lore, be sure to look up The Black Library. The Lore has moved on now following their End Times, so if you want some good Oldhammer Goodness look up what they now call "Warhammer Chronicles".
https://www.blacklibrary.com/series/war ... les-series

Wrikur

Post#4 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:58 pm

You'll pick up a lot of background stuff from doing and reading the chapter quests for sure. For general lore stuff I usually go here

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki
or
https://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

Aside from those two sources I don't really know where else you could find lore beyond the army books and novels.

Skullgrin

Post#5 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:08 pm

Here's the rabbit hole you're looking for, although about half the books on that page are 40K stuff. Gotrek & Felix is a good starting point, but for Witch Hunter stories you may want to check out Matthias Thulmann: Witch Hunter.

As to your question about PvE content, you can go back and do it later, you just won't be very impressed with the rewards at that point. It is a nice way to find some of the more obscure weapon and armor appearances though as well as immersing you in the lore of the game.
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88
Thargrimmm - Ironbreaker 40/80