Recent Topics

Ads

Returning Player

Let's talk about... everything else
CombatPanda

Returning Player

Post#1 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:17 pm

Hello everyone, I played WarHammer ages ago when it first released on retail and only recently discovered this community project and was astounded by it. I immediately registered and started the download for this. My question is this:

What differences are there from this game to vanilla? Should I be aware of anything in particular?

Can't wait to see you all in the game!

Ads

Re: Returning Player

Post#2 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:42 am

Check out this subforum for server info
viewforum.php?f=113

I never played live so can't tell you about any differences

zulnam

Post#3 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:21 pm

Hi and welcome.

There have been quite a lot of changes to the game and class balance done since live. Just to name a few: Warrior Priests and Disciples of Khaine can use shields; Squig Herder and Shadow Warrior melee specs are viable; T2-4 are massed into a single zone for maximum WAAAGH (lowbies get a buff to stats so so don't worry... much!).

I would recommend starting as a range class until you get the hang of the game, either DPS or healer. Melee is good too but, imo, more frustrating since you die much quicker if you don't know what you're doing.
SW, Kotbs, IB, Slayer, WP, WL, SM, Mara, SH, BG

Skullgrin

Post#4 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:33 pm

First difference I thought of right off hand was that you don't have to twist auras on Chosen/Knight, in RoR you can just have 3 active at a time. However there are lots more than those mentioned. The wiki is a bit outdated at this point but you can find some more info on class changes here.
Thargrimm - Chosen 40/88
Thargrimmm - Ironbreaker 40/80

anstalt

Post#5 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:56 pm

So, I played on live when AoR first came out, played for 6 months. I later came back during Land of the Dead for a few months. I am relatively new to RoR, only R38RR43 at the moment. Here are some of the biggest differences I've noticed:

Tier 1 now goes to level 15, and Tiers 2-4 have been merged.
This is a really good change compared to live. You get longer in tier 1 to experiment with a class and have some chilled out fun, and tiers 2 and 3 are no longer deserted (which was a real problem on live). It can be a bit intimidating playing with level 40s when you're only level 16, but the bolster mechanic helps quite a lot.

Scenarios are in three brackets - [1-15], [16-39] [40+]. This also has worked out nicely for me so far, tends not to be many premades before 40 so I feel like I can have a lot of fun as a soloer. I'll eventually join a guild if I get more serious with the game.

Balance always changes
There are a lot of differences from live, but then live got plenty of balance changes too. Just experiment and see how things play out.

Gear is obtained differently
My first 6 months of live, all PvP gear was obtained through gold bags from keeps. When I returned during land of the dead, all that gear could just be bought for gold once you'd achieved the renown. In RoR, there are a ton of currencies to collect and you use those currencies to buy the gear. There are also gold bags still.

In my opinion, the system is better than original live, but worse than land of the dead. It can be a real ballache grinding out those currencies, there is RNG for whether the stuff drops, then RNG whether you win it or someone else does. I think the game would be much better served if everyone could just buy the main armour sets for gold, power gaps are **** in a PvP MMO so I believe it's in the games interests to help players close those gaps. Weapons and jewellery would still be rare / random to give u something to aim for.

There is more gear
In my first 6 months of live, there was only one version of each armour set (anni, conqueror, invader etc). I can't remember what it was like during LotD. Anyway, on RoR there are two versions of each set, one earned from scenarios, one earned from RvR. The scenario versions tend to be dps / solo focused whilst the rvr sets are more group focused. More choice is always good, but the time required to get both is extensive, so it's best to focus on just one at a time. Generally the RvR set. This can potentially be a problem if you prefer one playstyle, but the gear you want comes from the other.

Cross-realming is a problem, but has some benefits
when I played live, if one side was outnumbered, they stayed outnumbered pretty much forever as you couldn't create characters of the other side on the same server (for my 6 months on live at launch, destro outnumbered order every single damn day). On RoR, there's only one server and we can play both sides. There is a lockout timer but it's not that long. If one side is having a bad day, I have noticed that it tends to get worse and worse as the day goes on as more people switch to the winning side. So, short term, x-realming is a problem.

On the plus side, this does mean the balance of power shifts more than live. There are days / weeks / months when destro steamrolls order, followed by days / weeks / months when order steamrolls destro. If you watch this forum a lot, it becomes pretty hilarious. Like, at the moment there are loads of destro complaining about order, but just a few months ago it was the exact opposite.

Some content isn't in the game
This is a community server without official backing, so it makes sense that not all content is in the game. However, a surprising amount is, the devs have done an amazing job! All the important PvP stuff is there, and most quests and PQs are there. It's only little things that aren't. Main thing I've noticed missing is renown tactics and tome tactics, but they don't seem to have a big effect on gameplay so its all good!

These are all the "big" things I've noticed that are different to live. The core of the game - the PvP - is there and working. Hope you have fun!