Recent Topics

Ads

Old school city instance?

Let's talk about... everything else
Popcornhearts

Old school city instance?

Post#1 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:19 am

Hello.

I recently returned to Return Of Reckoning after a very long break and have noticed many changes. One such change is the fact that Public Quests actually work. I stopped playing the game back when the devs started working on the public quests. Since having returned to the game, I have had an absolute blast and was so excited when I learned that city sieges had been re-introduced into the game. I really wanted to participate in a city siege and quickly made my way into a guild. We got a 12 man group going and defended the inevitable city from all you order player's out there! I honestly felt like a kid again. Good work on the cities devs, it was great!

But...then I got to chatting with someone else who played during the early days of live WAR. We we're reminiscing on how complicated the original city system was, but how rewarding it felt if you completed it and the esteem that came with the accomplishment. Way back when, it used to be that you could enter a part of the city and it would take you into a instance where you would fight the faction's lords and then the king in a dungeon like setting. Unlike most other lords in the game, these guys were incredibly strong! It did not matter if you had the best gear in the game, they would beat you to a pulp with little effort if you made the slightest mistake!

I remember getting as far as the Gryphon fight as a destro player, but I never got to kill the king. That is all I remember...

With all that said, I would like this to be discussed. I think it would be really cool if the dev's were to reintroduce this aspect of the game into it somehow and to make it extremely hard like it originally was. Maybe they could make it end-game content where you have to have max RR in order to enter or atleast 80RR and maybe they could create new items for every class with the restriction that each glass and only equip one of those items from the loot table at any given time as to avoid making player's too strong. Example, a Blackguard having to choose between the options of a 1h sword, shield, great weapon or chest piece, cape or helm. The item stats of course would have to have something unique to those items only to make it worth while and the restriction of only being able to use 1 at a time would introduce struggle to the player.

I mean, obviously dev's have a super long list of things to do and I personally don't think I will ever see this in game. But...what is the chance? That is why I wanted to bring it up, maybe it could have a chance if it is discussed. Let me know your thoughts.

Ads
Martok

Re: Old school city instance?

Post#2 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:40 am

I remember that system and it was fun. I agree it would be great to be able to play it again however reintroducing that version of the City Siege probably isn't on the radar of the Devs. As I recall a rather significant percentage of the Live population complained about it to the Mythic team which is why it was changed.

Fun to think about, but that is most likely all it will ever amount to.
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

Nameless

Post#3 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:20 am

Been there, killed the king but the system got some big flaws.
It was 4 oclock am run otherwise almost impossible to do it.
Last part being pure pve full with bugs were very boring and unfun esp after u done it 3-4 times.
After they removed pve were much better. I liked that instance swap that some guild done to defend (esp red guard) or attack to gain victory points.
Current system is better we just need more realm wide gains and penalties for win/lose so realm pride matter more
Mostly harmless

K8P & Norn - guild Orz

Alfa1986

Post#4 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:15 pm

But what if the "old" system will be remakable (if at all possible) like a raid for 24 or 36 people as in WoW?
15th orks on a dead elf's chest
yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Popcornhearts

Post#5 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:10 pm

Alfa1986 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:15 pm But what if the "old" system will be remakable (if at all possible) like a raid for 24 or 36 people as in WoW?
Yeah, I was not saying that the devs should swap out the current city siege for the old school one that only a handful of people who played in live would remember/care about. I was saying make it some sort of instance, like WoW raid. Also, I know the likelyhood of this being possible is very low as the devs do have more important things to do. I was just throwing this out as a hypothetical.