Recent Topics

Ads

Interesting Keybind setups?

Let's talk about... everything else
DR4296

Interesting Keybind setups?

Post#1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:34 pm

Anybody have any interesting keybind setups they'd be willing to share? (Couldn't find much of anything on Youtube.)

I find it a bit tricky to do anything BEYOND movement and a few Function keys with my left hand, while my right hand manages the trackball mouse and clicking "." as my Discord chat activation key. Seems especially funky to try to run and zig-zag while firing off stuff with that left hand. (Maybe I'd be better off using a non-trackball mouse with some buttons on it. But I really like this old Logitech Marble Mouse!)

I just kind of wish I could peek over some people's shoulders to see how they do it.

Thanks!

Ads
Caduceus

Re: Interesting Keybind setups?

Post#2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:12 pm

Personally I run with the mouse (right-hand) by pressing left and right mouse buttons simultaneously. Only use the left-hand for strafing (Q & E).

Then I have 1-5, Shift + 1-5, and letters like W, A, S, D, R, F, V, T, G ,C, X, etc. (all for left hand of course).

Not sure how a trackball works for you, but it sounds like a nightmare. I'd consider getting a regular one.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

DR4296

Post#3 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:16 pm

Caduceus wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:12 pm Personally I run with the mouse (right-hand) by pressing left and right mouse buttons simultaneously. Only use the left-hand for strafing (Q & E).

Then I have 1-5, Shift + 1-5, and letters like W, A, S, D, R, F, V, T, G ,C, X, etc. (all for left hand of course).

Not sure how a trackball works for you, but it sounds like a nightmare. I'd consider getting a regular one.

Thanks for sharing that info! Well, the thing about a trackball mouse is it works wonders when space is tight... or when you get tired of racing your arm/hand all over the place / off the mouse-pad or whatever surface. I use a regular mouse for work, so I can switch without even thinking about it anymore.

(In fact, thanks to COVID, my home keyboard and mouse are on the same desktop right next to my work laptop and extra monitor. So, thanks to COVID, having a trackball mouse now benefits me more than ever.)

I'll have to try some shift-combinations, i think. I'm assuming you target solely through keystrokes? I'm just trying to imagine moving with both mouse-buttons... since I tend to use left-mouse for targeting in those instances where key-rotating-through-targets would be too time-consuming.

Farlfang

Post#4 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:31 pm

Just to reiterate what Caduceus said, using SHIFT+Another input opens up a lot of extra keybinds. I do SHIFT + 1-5 as well as SHIFT + E, R, Q, etc. You could also do CTRL+ or ALT+ if you need more. Just put your most important ones on the easiest to reach options!

I would also recommend getting a normal mouse, potentially with extra buttons on the side. I have some stuff bound to Mouse 4 and Mouse 5, and they can be really useful quick access inputs.
Kardel - Engi
Farlfang - White Lion
Dumpster tier player - Volkmar/Badlands Vet

NSKaneda

Post#5 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:28 pm

1-6, ctrl 1-6, alt 1-5, shift 1-4

r t f g z x c v b y

ctrl R F T G mouse3

mouse 3 4 5

plus movement keys and utility shortcuts. Once you go IB pianoplaying, you don't go back ;)
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM<|[]|>Ginnar IB, Vidarr HMR, Runatyr RP ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn - Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG +Ithilmar's Chosen+
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *