Recent Topics

Ads

Gaurd and parry

Let's talk about... everything else
Marawo

Re: Gaurd and parry

Post#11 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:41 pm

dalen wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:40 pm basically, on RoR guard avoidance uses parry/dodge/disrupt based on the actual damage type (or block against all of them). It is also using the Str/BS/Int of the attacker, not a Str 1 attack like it was on live. Regardless of the defense check type it will show up as a Parry in the combat log though.

This is how it seems to have been on RoR for a very long time (since long before I became a dev). I'm not sure exactly why or when it was changed.

But also I think the calculation itself looks a bit odd but haven't had time to take a close look at it yet.
Thanks for the simple and easy to understand clarification, this huge change flew waaay under the radar.

Ads
Acidic

Post#12 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:42 pm

Maybe the code from the 2h parry nerf a while back reappeared

TreefAM

Post#13 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:48 pm

Wasn't that 2h nerf just that you guard less while using a 2h?

oaliaen

Post#14 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:49 pm

So..Disrupt / Dodge work to 'Parry' Guard dmg...interesting.

Aethilmar

Post#15 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:54 pm

Just want to add an anecdote that even on my shield tank (with heals) I seem to die more frequently before the guarded target does now when they are under pressure...as opposed to they die then I die. Nothing has really changed on my setup (sadly still Invader gear since forever). I assumed it was just some weird stacking of the numbers but will need to pay more attention to the combat logs it seems.

Silestrius

Post#16 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:16 pm

Collected this today. Even if dodge/disrupt are being factored in somehow, I would hope that I would parry more often than this given my stats are decent.

https://imgur.com/a/3THvaEE

Ysaran

Post#17 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:43 am

Since everyone is thinking about this but nobody is saying it out loud: can you every this change? Guard damage should by on parry
Zputadenti

Esperflame

Post#18 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:58 am

dalen wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:40 pm basically, on RoR guard avoidance uses parry/dodge/disrupt based on the actual damage type (or block against all of them). It is also using the Str/BS/Int of the attacker, not a Str 1 attack like it was on live. Regardless of the defense check type it will show up as a Parry in the combat log though.

This is how it seems to have been on RoR for a very long time (since long before I became a dev). I'm not sure exactly why or when it was changed.

But also I think the calculation itself looks a bit odd but haven't had time to take a close look at it yet.
It was changed with the Toughness changes. This problem only popped up when you guys changed toughness. I run 75% parry on my IB. Before the change I was parrying everything as if it was str 1. Up until that moment it had always been that way. This feels like a ninja nerf that someone is avoiding admitting to because they want to try and nerf guard again and don't wanna deal with that kind of fallout again.
Karnak (Ironbreaker), Hadebrandt (KotBS), Quigon (Swordmaster), Rakthraka (Black Orc), Thulza (Chosen), Braerithryn (Blackguard)

"Yeah, I play all the tanks. I've got beef!" - Me

Ads
Shooshpanzerer

Post#19 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:56 am

Perhaps it uses guard target stats instead of your stats to calculate mitigation?

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#20 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:58 pm

Guard has been using attack-specific avoidance for a couple years now, it just shows up as Parry because they weren't able to change the client in the past, or couldn't figure it out.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog