Recent Topics

Ads

Collision and level design in WAR is so bad.

Let's talk about... everything else
wanna993

Collision and level design in WAR is so bad.

Post#1 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:38 pm

Every time I play the game I get drawn into the Warhammer universe. Everything looks cool and there's a big class diversity.

But good grief the collisions are some of the worst I've ever seen. Lots of nonsense invisible walls, getting stuck on the tiniest pebble. Having this weird rubber-banding when with other players.
And the level design. So many maps feel like they could've used more passes. The Isha scenario with the one flag and the orb that so many don't know about because it's so annoying to get to? Orvr maps that are just unnecessarily big with objectives in the most random places. Not having put enough terrain in some places to hide behind and ambush.
It's a shame because I feel those things diminish the game, and it's not RoR's fault. It's awesome though to see them make overhauls on some forts when they have the time/release new things.

Ads
Zxul

Re: Collision and level design in WAR is so bad.

Post#2 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:50 pm

wanna993 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:38 pm Orvr maps that are just unnecessarily big
Not sure if serious.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#3 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:51 pm

It's what we have. No reason to not enjoy it for what it is. Not like that scale of changes is something we can fix.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

wanna993

Post#4 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:06 pm

I know. Not much you can do about it. Definitely not trying to hate on the team. It's just a personal issue I have with the game.
Zxul wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:50 pm
Not sure if serious.
Yeah I'm serious. T1 has one viable map for instance (inb4 who cares about T1, it's just an example). Maps where a fort is right next to the war camp (elf t2 I think) while the other factions is miles away because...?

Zxul

Post#5 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:11 pm

wanna993 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:06 pm I know. Not much you can do about it. Definitely not trying to hate on the team. It's just a personal issue I have with the game.
Zxul wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:50 pm
Not sure if serious.
Yeah I'm serious. T1 has one viable map for instance (inb4 who cares about T1, it's just an example). Maps where a fort is right next to the war camp (elf t2 I think) while the other factions is miles away because...?
I'm talking about rvr maps being big. If you think they are big, you really never played other games, where rvr maps come in size of "10 min flight to cross". Rvr maps in War are actually very tiny.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Detangler

Post#6 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:30 am

If you played DAoC, then you'd know exactly why Warhammer Online was so rough around the edges with design and collision. It was the little company that could....
Detangler and alts - 84 Chosen, other 40s - DoK, Zealot, SH, WE, BG, BO
Destro - Mostly Harmless
Tangler and alts - 8X IB, other 40s - RP, SM
Order - Most dishonorable

Kobra
Suspended

Post#7 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:10 pm

wanna993 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:38 pm It's so annoying to get to? Orvr maps that are just unnecessarily big with objectives in the most random places. Not having put enough terrain in some places to hide behind and ambush.
ORVR areas are tiny, comparatively so. Crowfall for example the areas are quite massive. Which results in not only spread out players, but a vast array of greater tactics. RoR is comparatively quite small in scope with the size of the zones, and often, in the case of some zones, way way too small to the point you risk running into zerg after zerg.

For me, I prefer to run solo and/or gank roam. So these tiny zones don't really work very well. Especially since stealth is temporary rendering stealth classes not very viable in RoR for long term ganking, and management of stealth is a mini-game in itself. With the recent AAO change to solo roamers, it seems they don't want to encourage this. Which I feel was about the best thing to do end-game if you don't feel like sitting in mindless blobs, day after day, hour after hour.

Big zones? No.. Tiny.

Grock

Post#8 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:31 pm

wanna993 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:38 pmOrvr maps that are just unnecessarily big with objectives in the most random places. Not having put enough terrain in some places to hide behind and ambush.
I have a feeling RvR lakes were added pretty late in development and were heavily rushed, in addition to being "carved in" out of already completed areas, which would explain why they look so weird and feel so empty.
Their design generally doesn't follow any PvP game logic at all. They are completely asymmetrical and unbalanced, with some super weird objective placements - like KV bottom keep literally in front of destro wc?). Then there's alost complete lack of notable locations - every "lore place" in the game is in PvE zones, with only a handful of exceptions like Gates of Ekrund... which serve absolutely no role in the RvR lake, besides just being a big ass wall that you can bypass via random cave or by just going slightly down south...

Kobra wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:10 pmWith the recent AAO change to solo roamers, it seems they don't want to encourage this.
wait what do you mean?
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

Ads
wanna993

Post#9 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:45 pm

Kobra wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:10 pm

ORVR areas are tiny, comparatively so. Crowfall for example the areas are quite massive. Which results in not only spread out players, but a vast array of greater tactics. RoR is comparatively quite small in scope with the size of the zones, and often, in the case of some zones, way way too small to the point you risk running into zerg after zerg.

Comparing the size of rvr lakes to other games is very much apples to oranges. T2+ also got merged so you have a much higher population than intended which throws things out of whack.
The issue is things feel very random. Cover is sprinkled randomly while it could've been used much better since you don't see nameplates through the wall (you do with addons after targeting) unlike WoW for instance. The distances between war camps is some forts is so out of whack in terms of randomness. Same with BO's. Making some maps very unbalanced.