Ranked season

Let's talk about... everything else

Moderators: Developer, Management, Web Developer

User avatar
M0rw47h
Posts: 595

Re: Ranked season

Post#31 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:01 pm

lyncher12 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:40 pm
sorry but solo queue 6v6 ranking doesn't mean jack ****, especially after the **** show of the first week

if it was max gear oppressor or w/e im sure it would actually be populated, at least compared to what it is now. theres really no reason to not look into doing something about it because nobody wants to queue without full sov but full sov takes months of dedicated grinding and it was the worst thing to happen to the server.
at the same time the reward is some decent gear but its only useful for a 2 or 3 piece because you will have sov.
also at the same time i feel the need to iterate again the ranking is literally meaningless, when 90% of the games are 15 minutes 1 kill losses for one side because everyone is geared to the teeth but theres no coordination to get a kill its not competitive, sorry.

its more of an introduction to actually playing the game outside of being in a warband pressing aoe on a door and it should be treated as such.
I had like 70% winrate (50 games?) on Chosen in Oppresor/Vanq, I believe I had even no talis in my blue epic weapon. Gear matters, but not as much as some players here believe.
Anathae [KotBS] / Anathea [WP] ( and couple others )
former Anathae [Zealot]

Ads
User avatar
RuffRyder
Posts: 288
Contact:

Re: Ranked season

Post#32 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:25 pm

M0rw47h wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:01 pm
lyncher12 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:40 pm
Spoiler:
sorry but solo queue 6v6 ranking doesn't mean jack ****, especially after the **** show of the first week

if it was max gear oppressor or w/e im sure it would actually be populated, at least compared to what it is now. theres really no reason to not look into doing something about it because nobody wants to queue without full sov but full sov takes months of dedicated grinding and it was the worst thing to happen to the server.
at the same time the reward is some decent gear but its only useful for a 2 or 3 piece because you will have sov.
also at the same time i feel the need to iterate again the ranking is literally meaningless, when 90% of the games are 15 minutes 1 kill losses for one side because everyone is geared to the teeth but theres no coordination to get a kill its not competitive, sorry.

its more of an introduction to actually playing the game outside of being in a warband pressing aoe on a door and it should be treated as such.
I had like 70% winrate (50 games?) on Chosen in Oppresor/Vanq, I believe I had even no talis in my blue epic weapon. Gear matters, but not as much as some players here believe.
This, plus ppl with Sov running over Conq level geared ppl was rather too easily handed out Sov in the first place. I healed in Conq and dps‘d in Bloodlord and didn‘t feel rolled over tbh.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. (Mark Twain)

User avatar
TanithScout
Posts: 54

Re: Ranked season

Post#33 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:42 pm

Ranked is just another gear grind.

Thankfully I have noticed 6v6 elitism drop massively on the forums since its introduction and it'd be nice if, out of that happy void, 6/12/Player v x was focussed on by the community, IF there was even an appetite for 'competitiveness' in an RvR centric game.

But I'm bias as I always got more enjoyment out of 6/12v zerg when it was possible on Live as it was all I did. 6v6 WAS fun, but rarely would I have preferred it than RvRing with da bois.

I don't want 6v60 bomb groups again (hella fun farming pugs and speedbumping guildgroups...) but it'd be nice if there was appetite from the community and even support from developement for this style of play as opposed to 6v6 or 15v150. I have to admit that I don't think it needs any nudging and its more a player based issue but lets not open that can of worms in this thread.

The 6v6 scene shouldn't dissappear just because a gamemode that caters for it hasnt been as succeful as 'intended'. Whether thats true or not is debateable, however players who want to 6v6 will naturally be drawn to one another whether their is a game mode for it or not. A reset will definitely encourage more players to give it a first/second go. It cannot be gear resitricted in anyway though as that makes it obsolete (gear isn't a factor in skill/competitiveness I hear you say?) Which brings me back to...


... ranked is just another gear grind. I have 'high' mmr because when I tried it a few times on a rr7x Skirm/Assault SW downgraded to conq for the ini debuff I won a few games and its bs. If you play ranked solo/group for bragging rights you can do it in discord and if you do it for MMR nobody literally nobody cares due to the aforementioned percieved lack of appetite for 6v6.

p.s. Bring back the morale2 nukes for SW and SL kthxbaiiii <3
Qonrad, the knave of Nagarythe, Ghost of the Garior.

Imperial, Myrmidia's Chosen

Live: Karak Azgal Guild: They Took Our Jobs (Explicit Content) Char: Neomir/HCTBoom/Jinnz

User avatar
NSKaneda
Posts: 404

Re: Ranked season

Post#34 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:44 pm

Kaelang wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:06 pm
I mean, we have a leaderboard: https://www.returnofreckoning.com/armor ... eaderboard
Marked as 6v6, not solo ;) And it is only top 65... I mean, even giving a special forum title for top 3 as well as showing top 10 on main page would improve things IMO.
Kaelang wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:06 pm
We have ranked gear that is a byproduct of the ranked system. I'm not saying that ranked isn't a means to achieve something. But the primary focus of a ranked system is the ranked environment. To argue that point by saying 'well no, people only play ranked because they get titles and cool stuff' isn't correct. Let's take WoW's ranked as an example. You think the people who are playing for Gladiator, and in the tournaments care about their end of season reward? They're doing it for the atmosphere and the skill based fights.
True, but WoW is not PVP based game so battlegrounds and solo mode are the only places one can fight for their epeen.
Ranked in Crossout for example is based on events where everyone chooses a predetermined class and fights in event group scenarios (you can call it a season) with ingame leaderboard, 6 different leagues based on rank which give access to >>cosmetic only<< rewards as well as titles and other means to show off visible to everyone in game. Needless to say each cosmetic reward can be won in a limited time (each season lasts a month each three months or so).

Same deal in Guild Wars 2 - limited time engagement, one needs at least 120 played matches to be featured in leaderboards, 6 clearly defined leagues (no vague "prices will drop as you rank up" promises), clear information on league to rank to reward info...

And that's to name just two.

Kaelang wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:06 pm
I'm not dismissing the suggestions regarding appearance items and what not, but to say that the point of ranked isn't to chase the MMR and climb the ladder is just incorrect. And if players are only playing the Ranked scenarios to get free stuff out of it, then we might as well just add that into normal scenarios and be done with the premade queue system and MMR system, because evidently the ranked system isn't wanted, it's the rewards that are.

(Just to people who may read the final comment there and think we're considering giving up on ranked, it was hyperbole - we aren't done with it and have plans)
Correct me if I'm wrong but the point of ranked is to show off and prove that you're better than everyone else. BUT when you are full conq facing full sov the chances of winning are slim at best. You could find a work around (either Wrath of Heroes style or tier based system) at the risk of forcing players into a bottleneck, bolstering everyone regardless of their gear to BiS stats or to given lvl (seems to work well in mid tier scenarios) - but most of all making it mean something, anything in game - something unique to distinguish those top few from the rest. Hell, even giving slight size boost to a toon for top 5 in-between seasons would mobilise players.

Or make ALL scenarios ranked. Or make weekend warfronts ranked with season lasting 4 weeks and finals taking place on 5th with spectator mode enabled (a'la duel arena)...
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM, Laiste MAG || Ginnar IB, Volundr ENG ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn (Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG - Ithilmar's Chosen)
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *

TwistedSister77
Posts: 79

Re: Ranked season

Post#35 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:28 pm

My experience with ranked, it usually is just a heal fest... hope that the other team has a ranged dps that you can get 1 or 2 kills on. Match over. Very predictable strategy every match.

Would rather see 12 v 12... I know it may queue longer, but maybe not... as it may be more fun and more players would join.

Also, snobbery- teammates would complain if you weren't the right class or have the best gear. I think 12v12 would help with that too.

blechkautz
Posts: 72

Re: Ranked season

Post#36 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:39 pm

TwistedSister77 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:28 pm
My experience with ranked, it usually is just a heal fest... hope that the other team has a ranged dps that you can get 1 or 2 kills on. Match over. Very predictable strategy every match.

Would rather see 12 v 12... I know it may queue longer, but maybe not... as it may be more fun and more players would join.

Also, snobbery- teammates would complain if you weren't the right class or have the best gear. I think 12v12 would help with that too.
In 12v12 the individual skill matter much less, so 6v6 is the right format for a competative sc because every mistake matters. If it would be 12v12 and had the same mechanic as the 6v6 sc right now, it wouldn't change anything about the attitude in the matches, they would just end faster, because more players = more mistakes -> faster kills and easier snowball after that.

TreefAM
Posts: 387

Re: Ranked season

Post#37 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:07 pm

Solo ranked will never be competitive nonsense, you have 6 guys who more or less never play with eachother placed in whatever wierd 2/2/2 format and duke it out, it's pure rng on what classes you and your team gets and winning usually just means that you have better classes on your team. Sure individual skill can matter, but having a aoe bw vs a st magus, or snb tanks vs 2h tanks, or gtdc choppas vs st slayers usually show's who will win this.

taist
Posts: 3

Re: Ranked season

Post#38 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:44 am

Kaelang wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:27 am
You think the people who are playing for Gladiator, and in the tournaments care about their end of season reward? They're doing it for the atmosphere and the skill based fights.
Lots of pvp players unsubbed since mop, 5v5 rip, rbg almost rip. No pvp vendors, pve abuse (and it is banned in tournament, but not in ranked lol) and pve farm, broken specs, etc. Last patch is a mess. You see same ppl on high mmr for years, almost no new faces, casual pvp players are leaving. The idea of class templates from legion was nice in terms of competitive pvp, but failed. When average player wants to stick with some sort of content in the gear based game he also want to see his gear progression as well (and obviously he doesn't want to farm other content to be successful). That's it. Otherwise play moba. Wow is a terrible example right now for ranked, but at least you can learn on their mistakes, though i have no idea how to make ranked popular in RoR. //sry for my English
I also doubt it is possible to balance 6v6, so it cannot be called truly ranked as well. Blizz are trying to balance 3v3 only for limited number of specs and i can't say it is perfect.

Ads
Grimfang
Suspended
Posts: 125

Re: Ranked season

Post#39 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:17 am

Solo ranked has shown that alot of players that talk on here are good at pressing a button when told by their warband leader but cant actually play. For that alone its gold.

User avatar
Arbich
Posts: 657

Re: Ranked season

Post#40 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:04 pm

TreefAM wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:07 pm
Solo ranked will never be competitive nonsense, you have 6 guys who more or less never play with eachother placed in whatever wierd 2/2/2 format and duke it out, it's pure rng on what classes you and your team gets and winning usually just means that you have better classes on your team. Sure individual skill can matter, but having a aoe bw vs a st magus, or snb tanks vs 2h tanks, or gtdc choppas vs st slayers usually show's who will win this.
Solo-Ranked is the most balanced environment on this server. Gear matters everywhere in this game, but in no other game mode skill matters as much as in 6vs6. Your example proves it. An AoE BW in 6vs6 clearly shows lack of skill, because you don't do this.
Yes classes matter, gear matters, but you can win with every teamsetup.

The best part about the availability of the solo ranked is that you can declare every whine thread about imbalances in scenarios as bullshit, because everyone has the option to join a fairly balanced scenario.
Arbich-BW/Xanthippe-WP/Schnipsel-AM

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests