Recent Topics

Ads

Ranked season

Let's talk about... everything else

Moderators: Developer, Management, Web Developer

User avatar
M0rw47h
Posts: 599

Re: Ranked season

Post#21 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:06 am

Was much fun when it was poping.
Anathae [KotBS] / Anathea [WP] ( and couple others )
former Anathae [Zealot]

Ads
blechkautz
Posts: 72

Re: Ranked season

Post#22 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:09 am

So maybe instead of having a minimum gear requirement, add a maximum gear requirement. Like max vanq/opp/sent so you can actually gear up while doing ranked?

User avatar
Kaelang
Bugtracker Manager
Posts: 903

Re: Ranked season

Post#23 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:21 am

blechkautz wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:09 am
So maybe instead of having a minimum gear requirement, add a maximum gear requirement. Like max vanq/opp/sent so you can actually gear up while doing ranked?
This defeats the point of ranked. It's not meant to be a gearing up system, it's a competitive PvP environment.
Bugs are like Pokémon - Gotta catch em all.

Fancy helping me become the very best, like no BT Manager ever was? Submit your bugs to the tracker and follow the format. If you've found a shiny (exploit), PM's or Discord please.

User avatar
Akilinus
Posts: 312

Re: Ranked season

Post#24 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:23 am

Kaelang wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:21 am
blechkautz wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:09 am
So maybe instead of having a minimum gear requirement, add a maximum gear requirement. Like max vanq/opp/sent so you can actually gear up while doing ranked?
This defeats the point of ranked. It's not meant to be a gearing up system, it's a competitive PvP environment.
Then why is there gear tied to it?
Kkomrade 80 Zealot Akilinuz 75 Chosen
Kkomrades 80 Black Guard Bomble 60 Sorc

User avatar
Kaelang
Bugtracker Manager
Posts: 903

Re: Ranked season

Post#25 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:27 am

Akilinus wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:23 am
Kaelang wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:21 am
blechkautz wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:09 am
So maybe instead of having a minimum gear requirement, add a maximum gear requirement. Like max vanq/opp/sent so you can actually gear up while doing ranked?
This defeats the point of ranked. It's not meant to be a gearing up system, it's a competitive PvP environment.
Then why is there gear tied to it?
Because people don't do anything for the fun anymore. They need rewards and things to chase.
Bugs are like Pokémon - Gotta catch em all.

Fancy helping me become the very best, like no BT Manager ever was? Submit your bugs to the tracker and follow the format. If you've found a shiny (exploit), PM's or Discord please.

User avatar
Akilinus
Posts: 312

Re: Ranked season

Post#26 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:43 am

Kaelang wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:27 am
Akilinus wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:23 am
Kaelang wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:21 am


This defeats the point of ranked. It's not meant to be a gearing up system, it's a competitive PvP environment.
Then why is there gear tied to it?
Because people don't do anything for the fun anymore. They need rewards and things to chase.
Could have rewards that are not gear to avoid any confusion
Kkomrade 80 Zealot Akilinuz 75 Chosen
Kkomrades 80 Black Guard Bomble 60 Sorc

User avatar
M0rw47h
Posts: 599

Re: Ranked season

Post#27 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:39 am

Akilinus wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:43 am
Could have rewards that are not gear to avoid any confusion
Like a 30 day pig mount for example.
Anathae [KotBS] / Anathea [WP] ( and couple others )
former Anathae [Zealot]

User avatar
NSKaneda
Posts: 411

Re: Ranked season

Post#28 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:17 pm

Kaelang wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:27 am

Because people don't do anything for the fun anymore. They need rewards and things to chase.
What else is there to chase in ranked?
- Famed RANK that can only be seen in scenarios can hardly be a bragging bit it should be - not without a clear rank ladder for all to see + special (cosmetics) to show off for your hard work.

- armour set that looks like other armour sets

- solo points for activities based on group effort

- famed FUN didn't really feel like fun if you were not wearing BiS gear.

I've played a number of MMOs across the years and RoR is the first one with "ranked" activities that are, well, not ranked. You get your points, you get your mysterious MMR number BUT... To brag about it you need to know how you fare against others. Are you top 3 or are you top 500? Does your rank really matter or is it just "for fun fluff" of no consequence? Because ppl will do "just for fun stuff" - when they have nothing else to grind. And in this game if you want to be competitive you HAVE to grind.

But yeah, ppl fault.
RoR: Burszui SH, Ropopuch SHM, Laiste MAG || Ginnar IB, Volundr ENG ++ REV guild ++
Live: Karak Izor -> Karak Norn (Yarpaen IB, Ginnarr SL, Volundr ENG - Ithilmar's Chosen)
* * * playing 19 classes - running out of char slots * * *

Ads
User avatar
Kaelang
Bugtracker Manager
Posts: 903

Re: Ranked season

Post#29 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:06 pm

NSKaneda wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:17 pm
Kaelang wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:27 am

Because people don't do anything for the fun anymore. They need rewards and things to chase.
What else is there to chase in ranked?
- Famed RANK that can only be seen in scenarios can hardly be a bragging bit it should be - not without a clear rank ladder for all to see + special (cosmetics) to show off for your hard work.

- armour set that looks like other armour sets

- solo points for activities based on group effort

- famed FUN didn't really feel like fun if you were not wearing BiS gear.

I've played a number of MMOs across the years and RoR is the first one with "ranked" activities that are, well, not ranked. You get your points, you get your mysterious MMR number BUT... To brag about it you need to know how you fare against others. Are you top 3 or are you top 500? Does your rank really matter or is it just "for fun fluff" of no consequence? Because ppl will do "just for fun stuff" - when they have nothing else to grind. And in this game if you want to be competitive you HAVE to grind.

But yeah, ppl fault.
I mean, we have a leaderboard: https://www.returnofreckoning.com/armor ... eaderboard

We have ranked gear that is a byproduct of the ranked system. I'm not saying that ranked isn't a means to achieve something. But the primary focus of a ranked system is the ranked environment. To argue that point by saying 'well no, people only play ranked because they get titles and cool stuff' isn't correct. Let's take WoW's ranked as an example. You think the people who are playing for Gladiator, and in the tournaments care about their end of season reward? They're doing it for the atmosphere and the skill based fights.

I'm not dismissing the suggestions regarding appearance items and what not, but to say that the point of ranked isn't to chase the MMR and climb the ladder is just incorrect. And if players are only playing the Ranked scenarios to get free stuff out of it, then we might as well just add that into normal scenarios and be done with the premade queue system and MMR system, because evidently the ranked system isn't wanted, it's the rewards that are.

(Just to people who may read the final comment there and think we're considering giving up on ranked, it was hyperbole - we aren't done with it and have plans)
Bugs are like Pokémon - Gotta catch em all.

Fancy helping me become the very best, like no BT Manager ever was? Submit your bugs to the tracker and follow the format. If you've found a shiny (exploit), PM's or Discord please.

lyncher12
Posts: 198

Re: Ranked season

Post#30 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:40 pm

sorry but solo queue 6v6 ranking doesn't mean jack ****, especially after the **** show of the first week

if it was max gear oppressor or w/e im sure it would actually be populated, at least compared to what it is now. theres really no reason to not look into doing something about it because nobody wants to queue without full sov but full sov takes months of dedicated grinding and it was the worst thing to happen to the server.
at the same time the reward is some decent gear but its only useful for a 2 or 3 piece because you will have sov.
also at the same time i feel the need to iterate again the ranking is literally meaningless, when 90% of the games are 15 minutes 1 kill losses for one side because everyone is geared to the teeth but theres no coordination to get a kill its not competitive, sorry.

its more of an introduction to actually playing the game outside of being in a warband pressing aoe on a door and it should be treated as such.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Camayel, celdor, Kysaro, Wrikur and 49 guests