Recent Topics

Ads

City Siege Questions/Transparency

Let's talk about... everything else
nefandir

City Siege Questions/Transparency

Post#1 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:35 pm

First of all, I am grateful that the devs put their free time into RoR so that we can play it. I have had a great time with city sieges, however I do have a few questions regarding how the city siege queuing system works. I searched the forum a bit, but I couldn't really find anything about it.

In short, I was part of a 6-man today, which queued approximately 5 seconds after the queue was opened. In our ally a few others were queuing as well (also a 6-man) and while they queued after us, it turns out, they got in not only before us, but we didn't get in at all. You can probably see where I am going with this: I feel like this should not have happened, and effectively feel cheated out of a city-siege.

Please don't misinterpret this as a random rage-post, as I would genuinely like to understand if the queueing system is more of a gamble in terms of who gets in where, or there is a fairer system in place. I am sure I am not the only one interested in how it works, and we would all have a better time if we knew exactly why we did/didn't get into a city siege. It can be a bit frustrating to seemingly randomly be detained from a city-siege. (To be honest, I would most enjoy seeing the source-code related to the queueing system, but I guess that is not going to be published.)

In the advice-channel I was told we should have queued as a 6-man warband (and not a party) but it seems like that is a very wierd thing to go out of your way to program into some code, so my first question to the devs would be: can someone confirm or deny that being in a party vs. a warband has an effect on queueing? If yes, what is the effect?

More generally: what are the parameters that are input into the queueing system? I would assume it is somewhat like searching a weighted list of players finding the first 24 players matching some set of conditions, on both sides, which can be plopped into the same instance.

Lastly a suggestion: would a more transparent queuing system be possible? An addon like SOR maybe, that displays the queue parameters, whatever they may be (position in queue, weighting due to other factors...)?

Would appreciate your answers. :)
To the devs: a big thanks for your effort with RoR!

Ads
raistomen

Re: City Siege Questions/Transparency

Post#2 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:43 pm

1. q as a warband
2. if it gets down to 6 mins and still havnt gotten in, anounce in chat that at 5 misn everyone should drop WB and solo Q , has worked every time.

doxifera

Post#3 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:45 pm

raistomen wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:43 pm 2. if it gets down to 6 mins and still havnt gotten in, anounce in chat that at 5 misn everyone should drop WB and solo Q , has worked every time.
It didn't work for me ...

Kaelang

Post#4 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:37 pm

Queuing as a warband will give you a better chance to get into the city. There are so, so many variables when it comes to the queuing system that simply saying 'if you queue as 6 you're okay' doesn't apply.

If you want the highest chance to get into a city, or open a city instance, queue as a 24 man warband. Queuing on the lower populated side will also increase the pop chance.

We're looking at ways to make it somewhat more transparent, but nothing has been released or formalised just yet. For now - stick to queuing as a warband for your best chance.
DiscordFacebookTwitterInstagram

I play around with Social Media, troll our players on Discord and officially hate anyone who plays a dwarf.

Xergon

Post#5 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:30 pm

When u queueing as 6man MAKE SURE u switched group into WB, otherwise, if u queue as 6man u will be put into FILLING spot mode, u can see that info in Chat System.

When u reform into WB (but still a 6man group) and u queue u will be starting/matching into new instance.
The Unlikely Plan
YouTube

Omegus

Post#6 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:03 pm

Kaelang wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:37 pmQueuing as a warband will give you a better chance to get into the city. There are so, so many variables when it comes to the queuing system that simply saying 'if you queue as 6 you're okay' doesn't apply.
This implies there is some shenanigans happening behind the scenes. Is there any matching based on RR or past city wins?

Just trying to work out why Dachosen's WB (destro) and Fenryl's WB (order) get paired against each other in cities over and over and over and over and over again. Like, more than just a coincidence. Like, it's happened so many times that both sides are kinda sick of fighting each other. Please tell us why it keeps happening. We're all going slightly crazy due to the number of times we get paired against each other.

Not looking for pug stomps instead, just some more variety. Both WBs want to fight other good WBs on their opposing side rather than the same group people repeatedly.

Hidden matchmaking is terribly frustrating for all involved and I think everyone would appreciate it if we knew what was going on.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Kaelang

Post#7 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:31 pm

Omegus wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:03 pm
Kaelang wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:37 pmQueuing as a warband will give you a better chance to get into the city. There are so, so many variables when it comes to the queuing system that simply saying 'if you queue as 6 you're okay' doesn't apply.
This implies there is some shenanigans happening behind the scenes. Is there any matching based on RR or past city wins?

It only implies shenanigans if yours looking for shenanigans. Common sense says if there’s 24 order, and 30 destruction. The warband will get in.

I play around with Social Media, troll our players on Discord and officially hate anyone who plays a dwarf.

Kaelang

Post#8 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:31 pm

Kaelang wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:31 pm
Omegus wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:03 pm

It only implies shenanigans if you’re looking for shenanigans. Common sense says if there’s 24 order, and 30 destruction. The warband will get in.

And no, there’s no MMR.

Ads