Recent Topics

Ads

Naming Conventions

Let's talk about... everything else
Eschatology

Naming Conventions

Post#1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:20 pm

So, recently a White Lion named Blackhumor was forced to change his name during a city siege after the Destro team filed a complaint. As fortune would have it, a GM actively playing as Destro in that instance was able to handle it expeditiously. The WL was kicked from the city scenario, forced to change his name, and was not allowed back into the instance. Contrary to what you might believe, this had nothing to do with the WL's performance or topping the damage charts. The opposing Destro team genuinely felt this was insensitive given the struggles and strife we - and more importantly, some of our brethren - are experiencing in the world today. I am in full agreement and wish to expand upon this in little slice of the gaming universe. I propose the following:

1) Dark Elves and Blackguards should be renamed. The Dark Elves and Blackguards are not only associated with the evil Destruction, but they are looked down upon as inferior and beyond redemption by the rest of Order - particularly the High Elves. There are some scary parallels here.

2) Naming conventions of players, items, or dyes with black or dark should be renamed. As a matter of fact, I saw a Marauder running around yesterday with the name Blaq. Wow, right?

I hope you support me as I try to make this world just a little bit better.

Ads
Noslock

Re: Naming Conventions

Post#2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:48 pm

Are you goin to rename black orcs too?

Eschatology

Post#3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:55 pm

Dude, thanks so much for bringing that up. It's even more egregious.

We should probably rethink associating the color white with righteousness and beneficence while we're at it.

Zamoth

Post#4 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:17 pm

Or maybe, just maybe we keep this PC mayhem out of the Game. The real world is already crazy enough.
Deadwing 85
Zamoth 80
Verthexxa 84

TwistedSister77

Post#5 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:38 pm

Sorry, about the WL in city. I really like how the Devs and GMs manage the server for players trying to disrupt the community. I enjoyed reading the ban appeals section on occasion for a laugh ( when we were able to).

On the subject of Class names and associating "dark" with evil. In the context of warhammer lore, countless fantasy fiction, religions around the world, etc... it is almost universal that darkness tries to snuff out the light, heck even Star Wars movies. Good vs evil. Has nothing to do with someone's skin color (Dark Elves are pale in warhammer).

I completely understand in light of current events society is assessing all perceived biases, directly or indirectly made. I just havent come across people upset about this in a game that's been out since 2008. Perhaps the OP is being proactive or speaking for those who have not made comments in game or in forums before, not sure.

I definitely want the game to be inclusive to all. On a practical side, not sure how much coding (or even if its possible) to remove and change all references from characters, items, quest, etc.

Perhaps if this thread gets enough response, the Devs can take a private survey and make a determination from there.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#6 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:02 pm

We've already addressed this with both the player affected and the GM. Stop trying to stir up drama.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog