Recent Topics

Ads

Since DPS AM is frowned upon, what's most similar?

Let's talk about... everything else
Aethilmar

Re: Since DPS AM is frowned upon, what's most similar?

Post#11 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:51 pm

nat3s wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:47 pm DPS AM is the premier best 1v1 and solo roaming class in the game + with the option to spec healer for guaranteed city WB spaces, you've got it made. Awesome class super desirable. No other class has it better than AM on Order side at present, if you're somehow disappointed then you'll only find other classes worse from here on out...
Premier 1v1 and solo huh? Better than DPS Shammie (less damage but near impossible to kill)? Better than WL (dead after 3 seconds)? Better than WE (dead before you get out of KD)?

Better for heals than having a WP or RP in the same slot?

AM is great fun for solo roaming but is a hybrid tweener and is only strong about being particularly strong at nothing. You have some serious lazor eyes envy going on there ...

Ads
Kobra
Suspended

Post#12 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:04 am

DPS Shaman is the best 1v1 solo roaming class, AM is second. However keep in mind unless you got off the first shot as a DPS-AM when roaming, you are very very squishy when caught by surprise by virtually any DPS class (ranged or otherwise). Shaman has the edge for survivalist/kiting in DPS builds though.

DPS AM's are largely useless in big RVR battles and Cities. Nobody likes you and nobody really wants you around. Your damage isn't going to do enough burst and sustain to impact a battle, you don't really have anything for AOE other than your snare, and your healing/buffs are atrocious. This is why you'll never see big name roaming DPS-AM's in cities, and rarely see them in RVR unless they are out picking off stragglers.

Also there is a general consensus that a DPS-AM is self centered, and this is bolstered by the fact that the vast majority of them won't even bother to throw a rez your way and will walk right over you.

If you want something similar, a HAVOC MAGUS is going to be your best bet. You'll have higher burst, high sustained DPS, and you can add something to RVR and Cities, as well as roam reasonably well.

Very few people can survive a HAVOC with 1050int, and 30% MC. Running the WS/BT/BOC/IFC rotation most people, they'll drop. DPS-AM's included. Best of all nobody will ever bother you for a rez or heal, and you won't appear self centered. ;-)

Templa

Post#13 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:37 am

Just keep going as Heal until you have the DPS Gear you need. Once you have the gear you need to make you an actual viable DPS no one should complain anymore. (People will but they are the same that complain about DPS Doks, and then shut up when they get beaten by double the amount of damage by hybrid class)
Image Image

nat3s

Post#14 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:40 am

Aethilmar wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:51 pm
nat3s wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:47 pm DPS AM is the premier best 1v1 and solo roaming class in the game + with the option to spec healer for guaranteed city WB spaces, you've got it made. Awesome class super desirable. No other class has it better than AM on Order side at present, if you're somehow disappointed then you'll only find other classes worse from here on out...
Premier 1v1 and solo huh? Better than DPS Shammie (less damage but near impossible to kill)? Better than WL (dead after 3 seconds)? Better than WE (dead before you get out of KD)?

Better for heals than having a WP or RP in the same slot?

AM is great fun for solo roaming but is a hybrid tweener and is only strong about being particularly strong at nothing. You have some serious lazor eyes envy going on there ...

DPS AM is way stronger than WL, I farmed solo WL from rr40-80 on my chars which I roam exclusively solo in the lakes with hunting for 1v1s. To those newer players who try to solo roam in glass cannon setup, WLs look powerful, but to anyone that knows how to stack toughness/armour and use detaunt prior to pet stun, WL are easy RP. A WE can be a good fights if WE is running a decent regen setup.

DPS shammy is a close fight, but AM should win it as AM cleanses shammy dots but shammy cannot cleanse AM dots. You'll see a few dps shams like Sco killing the odd AM, but that's usually due to an AM misplay and they'll die to AM more than they kill them.

If you're struggling with your AM in 1v1s then remember the MOST important spell you cast is the AP drain, you cast it on CD. If you got a bit of range at beginning of fight, by all means go full dps, but if you get jumped on you want to knockback, AP drain and heal kite until you've casted your second AP drain, then go full dps. You won't lose as once your opponent is out of AP, they're done. Sometimes with an AP pot you'll get a pressure spike, but that's where the 3.6k morale shield, normal shield and heal pots come in. Think about it, 1.8k officer pot heal, 3.6k rejuv pot heal, 3.6k absorb morale shield, 1k normal shield... That's 10k self healing in a 1v1 without any hots or flash heals thrown into the mix. Max futile strikes and spell crit with renown and you're just a monster, which is why DPS AM are so prevalent. They are the FOTM class right now to those that know how to play them.

AM healer is weaker than RP and WP, but it's still a good way to get city WB spots, less competition for a heal spot than there is dps was my point.

As I say, if you're disappointed whilst playing the FOTM class, you're in for a world of pain playing anything else.

No envy here, I have a 62 AM myself, love playing them.
Defraz rr81 Magus
Defrack rr81 Mara
Induce rr77 Shaman
rr7x AM, Choppa, WL, WH, WE, BG

lsquallhart

Post#15 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:54 am

Thanks for all the replies, especially your deep dive @nat3s

I now have a healing set and DPS set that I switch between. For those complaining about DPS AM. Truth is . . there's a DPS tree for a reason. I think it's suited just fine to be DPS class, you're just going to have to know the limitations of that. If you're not getting healed by a DPS AM in a pug, it's because they're doing damage. If you want to make sure you are always going to have heals available, then it's prob best to join a premade.

So far when I'm grouping I will heal, and if I'm going solo I'll DPS. I love the options, and I love the offensive nature even when healing. I can still apply pressure no matter how I am spec'd. I feel a lot more useful on AM than my RP, simply because I have more offensive tools available. RP is good for being a heal bot and very defensive, but I'm really loving the burst healing, dmg, and options on the AM much more. Drain Magic is ::chefs kiss::.

The only problem I'm having is . . . do I level my Shaman now or later? I like this class so much that I'm definitely going to make the mirror class as well.

I guess then I can decide which one is the better class overall, but for now I'm going to have fun leveling both of them.

The other classes just dont seem as fun in comparison to these two.

I'm sorry but Rune Priest is a little bit of a snooze, although powerful.