Recent Topics

Ads

SOR ruins the game

Let's talk about... everything else
Goermsi

SOR ruins the game

Post#1 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:48 pm

Hey Folks!

I am really pissed off by the addon SOR and I say - it ruins our game.
SOR creates an even greater "avoidance of confrontation" than it could have been before. Nobody defends anymore when they see what kind of Zerg is roaring, and still others consciously join the masses because they can find them immediately through SOR. It's terrible to see people running after these masses - or guarding the mailbox when they realize that there is no flower pot to win in the Open.

I am not against a homogeneous overview of the contested areas. But do you have to give the exact number of players? Couldn't one also work with a ranking? A percentage? Anything that doesn't give away immediately "ha! here it will be easy for me" or "phew, I can't even reach the castle"

SOR has become an indicator of activity. People take a look at it and if nothing is going on then they don't seem to want to take the initiative to do something. But what would happen if the players were more consciously blinded again? Would they then go into the zones to take a closer look at what's happening?

I say with SOR we take the fun out of the game - make it less accurate or get rid of it. Prevents players from constantly "dodging" into other zones to avoid what Warhammer actually stands for - Player Vs. player.
Like it Hard (Drakenwald)
...PVP, nothing else...

Ads
zak68

Re: SOR ruins the game

Post#2 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:09 pm

for what is worth, i was thinking the same; some could say that aoo does the same thing or even the search interface, but with sor u have instantaneous and accurate results. perhaps adding some "fog" to favour the underpopulated faction ?

lyncher12

Post#3 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:13 pm

gear doesn't come from player v player, sadly

Acidic

Post#4 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:53 pm

My “feeling” is that the addon and also the web version of it removes the ability to sneak attack , removes some of the strategy and need for reliable sources in zones relaying information.

Currently ppl defending zone go only to meet the number in attacked zone removing the ability to use smoke and mirrors of strategy .

Would be good to add a frequency of update once every 5+ minutes to sor Updates

BeautfulToad

Post#5 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:11 pm

If you lead warbands you probably know all this:

Too Long / Didn't Read: State of the Realm and population counts dont affect the game as much as you think or in the way that you think. It is mostly used by non-PUG warband leaders to decide when/where to seige.

Wearing down the other realm is an important device in RoR. In large RvR, a string of defeats always leads one realm to slowly stop fighting, and it works like a reinforcing cycle. One side begins to lose battles, which leads to rage quits and people giving up, which then leads to more defeats and more people rage quitting and giving up.

One event always increase population. Initiating a siege. This will increase/decrease your population. State of the realm does not really matter. If you are heavily outnumbered, and the other side attacks your keep, your pop will increase faster than the other side. In effect, a lot of sieges become a battle about who can recruit more to their side.

"Sneak attacks" certainly work but not in very large RvR battles. This is more a organisational problem, mechanics make it is hard to direct more than one warband and even non-peak battles can be 100+ v 100+. Very often warbands will attack a keep in an empty region to distract the other side. Usually the side with more numbers can do it, but very often the underpopulated side will do it. Occassionally, the underpopulated side will take a keep using this tactic but mostly their attack delays the other side from winning.

Where state of the realm does affect battles is in deciding whether to siege or not. This is because it is very difficult to take a keep if there are a large number of defenders. If anything sieges can happen too slowly, which affects player pop, but devs have made a number of changes to encourage sieges and make them easier without punishing players for being on an outnumbered side. It is hard for me to work out what more they can do, other than changing the meta of RvR (e.g., rams cant decay, you can have more than one ram, etc).

kmark101

Post#6 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:49 pm

I agree with the op 100%. Especially since the web browser version of it is out there some people are not even bothering to log on, seeing the campaign is "stuck" at some point.

It certainly took away most of the surprise factor of large scale, which I think was a crucial part of it. The campaign feels boring when you exactly know what you are up against.
Gryyw - Ironbreaker

Brew

Post#7 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:07 pm

kmark101 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:49 pm Especially since the web browser version of it is out there some people are not even bothering to log on, seeing the campaign is "stuck" at some point.
Thank God for SOR. EU is always a stalemate, the campaign goes nowhere. Technically we don't need SOR to know that but it is nice to know that the community is griefing itself before I log on just to log off.

This isn't an SOR problem, it is a community problem. The incentive to take zones is non existent. The incentive to defend zones is real. If you want to be mad at something be mad at the fact that the dev team encourages defending and stalemating the campaign. They do NOT want you to progress it, hence the reason defending rewards > attacking rewards.
<Art Supplies>

TreefAM

Post#8 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:10 pm

Forcing people to wake up at odd times because of broken sieges is part of the reason I play this game :D

Ads
Foofmonger

Post#9 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:44 pm

If the system doesn't facilitate good gameplay then the issue is not how the players use the system, but how the system is deigned.

We all know the current system is not great. It wasn't great in 2008, or 2012 either, and shows exactly some of the reasons that we are playing on a private server for a dead game instead of a live server for a live game.

Pretty sure the devs are aware and trying to rework. SOR is not the issue, player behavior is not the issue, the campaign/ORVR/city system has some fundamental design flaws.

kmark101

Post#10 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:48 pm

Brew wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:07 pm
kmark101 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:49 pm Especially since the web browser version of it is out there some people are not even bothering to log on, seeing the campaign is "stuck" at some point.
Thank God for SOR. EU is always a stalemate, the campaign goes nowhere. Technically we don't need SOR to know that but it is nice to know that the community is griefing itself before I log on just to log off.

This isn't an SOR problem, it is a community problem. The incentive to take zones is non existent. The incentive to defend zones is real. If you want to be mad at something be mad at the fact that the dev team encourages defending and stalemating the campaign. They do NOT want you to progress it, hence the reason defending rewards > attacking rewards.

I'm not mad, why do you think so :) Just agree with the op. I like the surprise element of ORVR/campaign.

I'm an NA player, so its never a full stalemate.... maybe we should disable SOR for NA times or under a certain population threshold, lets say SOR only provides data above 800 ppl? Would be very easy to implement that into it's API...
Gryyw - Ironbreaker