Recent Topics

Ads

Campaign momentum and stalemates

Let's talk about... everything else
Tyrean

Campaign momentum and stalemates

Post#1 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:44 am

I have been playing the game since live and have recently been speaking with guildies and people I play with about the current state of end game progression (specifically EU prime) and their thoughts on the current state of the game in general. One topic that keeps coming up is the lack of reward for time invested and the stagnant feel of zones not locking for several hours due to numbers causing stalemates that give little to no reward for players at RR80. Trying to obtain invader/sovereign sets feels out of sight for some and after several backwards and forwards style pushes where no one actually wins, people can kinda lose interest.

A couple of days ago I had some time to play and CW and Caledor opened at 2pm gmt (EU time) and were still the active zones at 10pm that evening.. 8 hours later! the numbers then changed during NA login and zones started locking again, cities happened etc.. this has been the case quite a few times in the last week (I got no reward for my several hours of play time on that day that could actually progress my character). Whilst I enjoy the numbers being healthy and will play the game regardless of just seeing it as a gear grind, it would be nice if there was an alternative lock mechanic when zones are active for that long, not just to keep the momentum going of battles moving and scenery changing, but to also give more of the player base a chance to see some end game content (forts/cities). A few people in my guild have accepted that their window of play time during EU prime means they will very rarely see either of these and have all but given up on trying to obtain the gear due to the grind, a couple have even quit the game for this reason and not wanting to fight in the same zone for several hours.

I understand we don't want everyone in full sovereign gear within a month, but this feels too far the other way and people are being put off by it, unless you are willing to get up at 3am (predominantly EU) you have little chance of seeing that content and people are not all willing (or able) to do this. I feel like a happy middle ground would be that a zone lock mechanic triggers once a zone has been active for say 3 hours (if not the 5 star lock system) where running a certain number of supplies and killing X amount of enemies is sufficient to lock the zone, this would actively encourage fighting where the outcome actually matters, whilst smaller groups/solo players could run supplies and help in other ways, meaning more active zone progression and participation from all players (wb and small scale) while still keeping sovereign gear as a hard to get (yet more reasonably obtainable goal). I enjoy the game and will continue to play with my guild and bring positive vibes, just a lot of the feedback I'm hearing lately is in relation to the zones dragging on for hours and gear being locked behind time zones/stalemates so thought I would say my piece. Happy hunting!
Voidz - Magus RR84
Gorukz - Choppa RR85
Zoldrax - Chosen RR82
Zurgz - Shaman RR75

Vonz - Bright Wizard RR76
Kreedz - Witch Hunter RR57
Tyrean - KoTBS RR34
Koldarr - Slayer RR66

Ads
Diragi

Re: Campaign momentum and stalemates

Post#2 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:27 pm

doxifera

Post#3 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:24 pm

Tyrean wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:44 am I have been playing the game since live and have recently been speaking with guildies and people I play with about the current state of end game progression (specifically EU prime) and their thoughts on the current state of the game in general. One topic that keeps coming up is the lack of reward for time invested and the stagnant feel of zones not locking for several hours due to numbers causing stalemates that give little to no reward for players at RR80. Trying to obtain invader/sovereign sets feels out of sight for some and after several backwards and forwards style pushes where no one actually wins, people can kinda lose interest.

A couple of days ago I had some time to play and CW and Caledor opened at 2pm gmt (EU time) and were still the active zones at 10pm that evening.. 8 hours later! the numbers then changed during NA login and zones started locking again, cities happened etc.. this has been the case quite a few times in the last week (I got no reward for my several hours of play time on that day that could actually progress my character). Whilst I enjoy the numbers being healthy and will play the game regardless of just seeing it as a gear grind, it would be nice if there was an alternative lock mechanic when zones are active for that long, not just to keep the momentum going of battles moving and scenery changing, but to also give more of the player base a chance to see some end game content (forts/cities). A few people in my guild have accepted that their window of play time during EU prime means they will very rarely see either of these and have all but given up on trying to obtain the gear due to the grind, a couple have even quit the game for this reason and not wanting to fight in the same zone for several hours.

I understand we don't want everyone in full sovereign gear within a month, but this feels too far the other way and people are being put off by it, unless you are willing to get up at 3am (predominantly EU) you have little chance of seeing that content and people are not all willing (or able) to do this. I feel like a happy middle ground would be that a zone lock mechanic triggers once a zone has been active for say 3 hours (if not the 5 star lock system) where running a certain number of supplies and killing X amount of enemies is sufficient to lock the zone, this would actively encourage fighting where the outcome actually matters, whilst smaller groups/solo players could run supplies and help in other ways, meaning more active zone progression and participation from all players (wb and small scale) while still keeping sovereign gear as a hard to get (yet more reasonably obtainable goal). I enjoy the game and will continue to play with my guild and bring positive vibes, just a lot of the feedback I'm hearing lately is in relation to the zones dragging on for hours and gear being locked behind time zones/stalemates so thought I would say my piece. Happy hunting!
Yes, the proposal and discussion of options for improving the RvR with higher numbers deserves a separate topic. Lake 70vs70 is not the same as 400vs400, changing the game conditions, which would allow adding more action and not allowing the opposition to switch to the "trench" mode wars could accelerate the change of locations and have a beneficial effect on the "fatigue" of the players fighting in the same lake throughout the entire game session.

Detangler

Post#4 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:20 am

In the entire 8 hour campaign did any side put serious effort into a 5* lock running supplies? Cause that's the stalemate breaking mechanic that's already in game.
Detangler and alts - 84 Chosen, other 40s - DoK, Zealot, SH, WE, BG, BO
Destro - Mostly Harmless
Tangler and alts - 8X IB, other 40s - RP, SM
Order - Most dishonorable

yoluigi

Post#5 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:20 am

They should put better reward for people over RR80 like gold bags get 4 peice royal.. 3....2....1... white bags like that would push more people to get their higher Renown character to play in campaign

TreefAM

Post#6 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:25 am

You're already getting royals from the bags, 4hours of roaming and I got 3royals from gold + blue bag, and I don't even need it since I have the full sets.

Stophy22

Post#7 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:36 am

4 hours of roaming got you a gold and blue bag, now imagine if you didn’t get a bag for 4 hours of roaming.

Rewards should come instantly from player kills of appropriate renown with a bonus at the end of the zonelock; kinda like how it works for vanq and everything beneath it.

Notice how no one complains about vanq rewards and the issue is only with the endgame content. The game as it is can be very enjoyable pre vanq but when you get above it you find yourself lacking a reasonable path to travel.

-play for 4 hours for 3 royals (using the above example)

-play for no hours only logging on for city for 3-15+ royals

With the way the current rewards are given out there is a clear “worry” for people completing the endgame too quickly but this “worry” is not healthy for the server
[2 Weeks]/[Definitely Not Heretics]
Kuro Mara R8x
Bunji DoK R6x
Kurodon BG R8x
Curo Whitelion R8x
Scryptmar WP R6x
Aiero Swordwizard R5x

lyncher12

Post#8 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:39 pm

Detangler wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:20 am In the entire 8 hour campaign did any side put serious effort into a 5* lock running supplies? Cause that's the stalemate breaking mechanic that's already in game.
thats a lot of effort when the fort will probably just get realm prided

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#9 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:10 pm

Stophy22 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:36 am 4 hours of roaming got you a gold and blue bag, now imagine if you didn’t get a bag for 4 hours of roaming.

Rewards should come instantly from player kills of appropriate renown with a bonus at the end of the zonelock; kinda like how it works for vanq and everything beneath it.

Notice how no one complains about vanq rewards and the issue is only with the endgame content. The game as it is can be very enjoyable pre vanq but when you get above it you find yourself lacking a reasonable path to travel.

With the way the current rewards are given out there is a clear “worry” for people completing the endgame too quickly but this “worry” is not healthy for the server
We've heard your opinion several times.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Stophy22

Post#10 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:12 pm

Spoiler:
wargrimnir wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:10 pm
Stophy22 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:36 am 4 hours of roaming got you a gold and blue bag, now imagine if you didn’t get a bag for 4 hours of roaming.

We've heard your opinion several times.
That you have
[2 Weeks]/[Definitely Not Heretics]
Kuro Mara R8x
Bunji DoK R6x
Kurodon BG R8x
Curo Whitelion R8x
Scryptmar WP R6x
Aiero Swordwizard R5x