Recent Topics

Ads

How much does toughness matter, really?

Let's talk about... everything else
jvlosky

How much does toughness matter, really?

Post#1 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:14 am

Anyone got any math on the subject? I have also heard it doesn't matter for pve?

Ads
dalen
Developer

Re: How much does toughness matter, really?

Post#2 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:52 am

jvlosky wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:14 am Anyone got any math on the subject? I have also heard it doesn't matter for pve?
Increasing your toughness by 100 is more or less the same as decreasing your opponents offensive stat (str/int/bs) by 100.

The calculations in PvE are exactly the same as in RvR. But sure, some bosses abilities have a large base damage and not as much stat scaling, so then increased toughness doesn't lower it by that much. But it does lower damage taken in PvE as well.
Source Developer

Zxul

Post#3 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:11 pm

Personal opinion- armor for pve, toughness for pvp. Especially as destro in rvr, with all the bws around.

However toughness only really works if you go all out with it. You need at least 700 for it to start being actually effective, and 800+ for it to start being really effective.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

SuperStar

Post#4 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:13 pm

dalen wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:52 am
jvlosky wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:14 am Anyone got any math on the subject? I have also heard it doesn't matter for pve?
Increasing your toughness by 100 is more or less the same as decreasing your opponents offensive stat (str/int/bs) by 100.

The calculations in PvE are exactly the same as in RvR. But sure, some bosses abilities have a large base damage and not as much stat scaling, so then increased toughness doesn't lower it by that much. But it does lower damage taken in PvE as well.
And it's still nerfed isn't it? 75% max so 1000 toughness decrease 750 enemy offensive stat.

Or did it change?
If yes I roll a bg ;)

Zxul

Post#5 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:19 pm

SuperStar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:13 pm

And it's still nerfed isn't it? 75% max so 1000 toughness decrease 750 enemy offensive stat.

Or did it change?
If yes I roll a bg ;)
1000 toughness decrease up to 1000 enemy offensive stat, thing is you can decrease at most 75% of enemy's offensive stat- so if enemy got 1000 str, only 750 of your toughness will be effective.

From other hand if enemy has 1050 str and say 200 melee power, its (1050+200)*0.75=937.5 effective toughness.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Illuminati

Post#6 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:10 pm

Toughness + bubbles were really good until they made changes for Shield WP / DoK.

I think it used to be ETAC (Evasion, Toughness, Absorb, Crit), where if your toughness lowered the damage enough it would be fully absorbed and their attack wouldn’t crit.

It may be ECAT now where after the Evasion check the crit check happens. Anyway, it doesn’t ‘seem’ as good as it was a few months ago.
————————————————
Destro: Killamanjaro (80+ Choppa) / Killamanjaroo (70+ DoK) / Unsworn (70+ Chosen) / Illuminatii (60+ Blackguard) / Killaman (80+ Squig)
Order: ?

Bugs reported: 6

Grock

Post#7 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:03 pm

Also if an ability/attack does not benefit from primary stat bonus (str/int/bs) then it will also not be negated by Toughness
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

Grock

Post#8 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:05 pm

Can somone use their magical dev powers, check source, and clear up the uncertainty about "75% toughness cap"?
Is it applied to stats as most people beleive, i.e. toughness can't reduce enemy primary stat by more than 75%
Or is it applied to total damage of the attack?

Can Toughness still reduce attack's damage past the attacker's stat bonus (which was the source for 75% cap fix) or has this change been reverted at some point?
Is 75% cap still in place even?

Ads
Illuminati

Post#9 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:20 pm

When I tested it, toughness capped 75% of damage (to not reduce dots to 0).
————————————————
Destro: Killamanjaro (80+ Choppa) / Killamanjaroo (70+ DoK) / Unsworn (70+ Chosen) / Illuminatii (60+ Blackguard) / Killaman (80+ Squig)
Order: ?

Bugs reported: 6

Grock

Post#10 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:38 pm

Illuminati wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:20 pm When I tested it, toughness capped 75% of damage (to not reduce dots to 0).
Thats what the old info suggests.

From what i know at some point there was a change that "uncapped" toughness so it could reduce incoming damage past the attacker's primary stat, so tank with 200strength hitting a tank with 1000 toughness essentially had strength in the negatives at -800
This was done to make toughness more effective stat and to make it work on abilities that don't have primary stat bonus

This led to tanks hitting targets for 1 damage
And in turn, to prevent that the 75% cap was introduced

But i am pretty sure the "uncapping" has since been reverted, leaving a lot of ambiguity about the "75% cap"