Ads

64x MacOs Catalina, crossover mac and lets play RoR

Let's talk about... everything else
solaw

64x MacOs Catalina, crossover mac and lets play RoR

Post#1 » Sun May 31, 2020 6:21 pm

https://imgur.com/5Lt484d

CATALINA MacOs

So hello. I ve been trying to play War RoR for a while now and I couldnt just windows it out so for all you out there with a catalina os imac 2017 or better and owner of crossover mac 19 ( until the wine 32to64 launches free or implemented to PlayOnMac ) You are in luck for i got it to work ... some kinks while it runs but here it is.

So make a 7win x64 bottle In crossover mac and install non applications -- [ framework 4 ]Dontnet 4 ( its important to be done first) and direct 9 ( for modern games lol :D) into your war bottle.

Download the file[directory] through torrent per official instructions AND once you have it download and your torrent client closed , change the permissions of the folder and sub folders to read write for your user through finder. Then chown -Rv USERNAME destinationOFfolder once successful open your "c drive" of your crossover bottle and copy paste the folder where you want it to be [ Chown is used to pass the files "ownership" to you ]

Lastly run the RoRLauncher.exe and login to the launcher and wait till it updates and launch ...

KINKS :

The launcher flickers. ( could be because i havent added core fonts will check on that later) minor problem but annoying

Once in the character creation remove the shader optimization from your video settings and set the graphics to medium/high but not shinny. Adjust the performance to match your imac's fps.

Last kink , changing character , f10 to desktop etc crashes the client.... and that's all have fun I hope this helped you.

INB4 : Yes I know of bootcamp and yes i could have played on a PC because pc-masterrace well TY I ll think about that : lots of love.

Ads
Delegator

Re: 64x MacOs Catalina, crossover mac and lets play RoR

Post#2 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:32 pm

I wish I had the success you have reported. I'm on Mac OS Big Sur (11.1) with Crossover 20.0.2. I am able to install and update just fine, but when I launch the game
  • I get a white screen with the audio for the opening cinematic
  • When I ESC out of the cinematic, I see the mouse pointer change, but the screen is still white, and moving around the screen I hear one clickable item but that causes the launcher/game to exit
I've tried with the torrent download, and also by creating an empty bottle and letting the installer do its thing. Same results. I also tried with WIn7, Win7 64-bit, and WIndows 10 bottles (WIndows 10 didn't work at all). I do install .Net 4 and DirectX 9.0c, and like I said the launcher window does come up, the game update happens, and I see the green LEDs for the web server and Login Server. I can connect, but that's when it goes bad.

If anybody has this working with Crossover and Big Sure, please let me know what I'm missing.

And as with the original poster, I am well aware of Boot Camp. It's not an option for me.

xpander
Community Management

Post#3 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:17 pm

white screen means you are missing the directx part

try adding just d3dx9_34 into the same prefix/bottle..

i have no crossover experience myself, using linux myself but just got a friend into WAR and she installed dotnet40 and d3dx9_34 into the prefix/bottle where here launches warhammer and it works fine.
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

Delegator

Post#4 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:26 pm

Thanks -- will give it a try!

Delegator

Post#5 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:01 am

Update -- that worked. Even though the installer said it was installing DirectX 9.0c, it wasn't configured or anything. I took the directory from the torrent download and ran DXSETUP.exe and got it working.

xpander
Community Management

Post#6 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:14 am

Delegator wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:01 am Update -- that worked. Even though the installer said it was installing DirectX 9.0c, it wasn't configured or anything. I took the directory from the torrent download and ran DXSETUP.exe and got it working.
Great to hear. Someone with some free time and Mac experience could try make little installation guide post for others who maybe want to give it a go on Mac.
Helpful links:

Install guide for Linux
Install guide for Windows
Offical RoR Discord

AUR package for WARAddonClient

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Linux Gaming Videos

MaxHayman
Management

Post#7 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:12 pm

I have also been using this on my Mac for 6+ months and it works pretty well. One bug I noticed is that siege weapons dont work too well. Also the old launcher splash doesnt dissappear so in windowed mode its in the middle of the screen.
Max Hayman

Delegator

Post#8 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:14 pm

I've also found that I have to play in full screen, because otherwise the back box of the Loading... pop-up stays in the middle of my screen. But as I can still switch desktops in full-screen mode that's not too big an issue.

Ads
Delegator

Post#9 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:46 pm

I found the fix for the siege weapon issue. What you may not notice is that there is a pop-up saying that Return of Reckoning has requested the ability to control your computer via accessibility settings. The pop-up gives you the option to open system preferences and grant ROR access to Accessibility.

I only noticed this because I was moving between desktops and spotted the pop-up. If you go into system preferences -> Security & PRivacy -> Accessibility you can click the lock to unlock settings, and scroll down to Return of Reckoning and click the checkbox to enable it. That allowed me to use the empire cannons.