Recent Topics

Ads

Ranked Scenarios

Let's talk about... everything else
Janner

Ranked Scenarios

Post#1 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:04 pm

Since the last patch there has been a new issue that sprang up because of the widened mmr difference that the matchmaker uses to make the matches. I've been seeing a lot of low mmr order players queueu up but very few high mmr ones. Few order in general are queueing. I believe that there's a vicious spiral happening. When high mmr order players queue up and get matched with low order mmr players and lose the match, they tend to quit queuing to protect their mmr and because it's frustrating being grouped with low mmr players and knowing that you're almost certainly going to lose. Then, because the high mmr order players stop queueing, the queues get filled with alot of low mmr order players so that if the occasional high mmr order player logs on and queues they just get matched with all the remaining low mmr order players and get stomped. They then quit queueing and so we are left with only low mmr players. Why is this dynamic happening to order and not destro? Theoretically the vicious spiral would happen to whichever side has worse players in the beginning and that might be just due to randomness.

I think what is really driving this tendency is that the way mmr goes up and down based on the match results is WAY out of whack. I just queued up with an order team that was mostly 1300-1500 with me the only above 1600 player. We went up against a destro team that was mostly 1600s with maybe one in the 1500s and one in the 1700s. I can tell you there was virtually no chance we would win based on those mmrs. The chances weren't 20%. It probably wasn't even 5%. There might have been a 2% chance, just based on pure luck, that we would win that. And yet I took a hit of 7 points (I think but I'm not sure) to my mmr, and if we had won I believe I probably would have increased only 10 points. It should have been more like if I lose I lose 1 point and if I win I win 20. If that were the case I think I would be ok queueing up for a match like this even though we'll almost certainly lose. And probably most other good order would feel the same way. And this would make more high mmr order queue up along with the low mmr, and the health of the ranked system would be restored. But as it stands now, if you're an order player who's good and you care in any way about your mmr you are going to avoid queuing right after that match and in general avoid the ranked matches.

- Hagger, Runepriest

Ads
Telen
Suspended

Re: Ranked Scenarios

Post#2 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:40 am

I stopped after the first two weeks. The idea of more balanced scenarios was nice but they arent more balanced. The main problem being 2/2/2 is a myth. snb tanks and healers that cant dps are at a disadvantage. Its just not worth the queue time to go into a match where one side has 2 dps and the other 4 or 5.