Recent Topics

Ads

Please remove the restriction on selection for ranked scenarios!

Let's talk about... everything else
Rlyeh

Please remove the restriction on selection for ranked scenarios!

Post#1 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:18 pm

People want to play, there are enough people to start the match, but we are waiting in line for an hour. After a long wait, the game starts and someone does not confirm, because for an hour some forget that they signed up for the ranked arena.

Ads
Kaelang

Re: Please remove the restriction on selection for ranked scenarios!

Post#2 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:24 pm

Looking at /soloq currently - there's 44 people in the queue, which looks like a lot, and it is a lot. However 1/3 of them are Destruction DPS.

So let's break it down into how many active games there could be.

Right now, that's 2 based on the Order Tanks/Heals in the queue. As I'm typing this, 1 game has just started, suggesting that the MMR brackets lined up.

Now, there's 35 players in the queue - but there's only 2 Order tanks in the queue.

Removing the MMR restriction won't immediately make queues pop when there's a fundamental lack of players on one side queuing.

Other suggestions need to be made than 'remove the restriction' because right now - removing said restriction would pop one more game, and there's still be 20 people in the queue without a pop.

Edit:

Images taken after writing this post, to highlight the point made.

Final Edit (20 minutes post-post):

The restriction doesn't look to be the issue. Players queuing however...
DiscordFacebookTwitterInstagram

I play around with Social Media, troll our players on Discord and officially hate anyone who plays a dwarf.

Sulorie

Post#3 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:13 pm

Kaelang wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:24 pm Looking at /soloq currently - there's 44 people in the queue, which looks like a lot, and it is a lot. However 1/3 of them are Destruction DPS.

Spoiler:
Right now, that's 2 based on the Order Tanks/Heals in the queue. As I'm typing this, 1 game has just started, suggesting that the MMR brackets lined up.

Now, there's 35 players in the queue - but there's only 2 Order tanks in the queue.

Removing the MMR restriction won't immediately make queues pop when there's a fundamental lack of players on one side queuing.

Other suggestions need to be made than 'remove the restriction' because right now - removing said restriction would pop one more game, and there's still be 20 people in the queue without a pop.

Edit:

The thing is, there are times with 5+ people for every slot, so enough for 2 games and yet there is no pop. This is what we don't understand.
All fine with moments with a dozen dps and an actual lack of other classes. The fact that there can be people in queue to start games and yet there is no pop frustrates people.
Dying is no option.

dalen
Developer

Post#4 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:54 pm

Sulorie wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:13 pm
Kaelang wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:24 pm Looking at /soloq currently - there's 44 people in the queue, which looks like a lot, and it is a lot. However 1/3 of them are Destruction DPS.

Spoiler:

Edit:

The thing is, there are times with 5+ people for every slot, so enough for 2 games and yet there is no pop. This is what we don't understand.
All fine with moments with a dozen dps and an actual lack of other classes. The fact that there can be people in queue to start games and yet there is no pop frustrates people.
I've seen that happen sometimes and checked the queue, and then it has been only really low MMR players on one of the sides in one category, and mostly high MMR players on the other side.

Sure, you _could_ pop a scenario in that situation if you removed the match making, but it would just be a one sided stomping.

But every few minutes the match maker will switch around which brackets it is trying, so sometimes it might be able to create an instance if you give it a little time even if it doesn't pop immediately when players enter the queue.

It is literally lax enough to match up the highest MMR player on the leaderboard with someone that is playing their first ranked SC. Not really such a strict match making.
Source Developer

Sulorie

Post#5 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:07 pm

dalen wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:54 pm
I've seen that happen sometimes and checked the queue, and then it has been only really low MMR players on one of the sides in one category, and mostly high MMR players on the other side.

Sure, you _could_ pop a scenario in that situation if you removed the match making, but it would just be a one sided stomping.

But every few minutes the match maker will switch around which brackets it is trying, so sometimes it might be able to create an instance if you give it a little time even if it doesn't pop immediately when players enter the queue.
I believe that this is the reason but many people, like me, can't even get their 10 games per week done, because we don't get any pops. Nobody who queues for that mode prefers to get no game at all instead of imbalanced ones. To not miss a possible pop ppl queue for no other sc besides ranked. Potions run out, used for 1 sc only. This is no situation anyone can want.
Players who queue first time, notice slow pops and stop to play it at all.

Why not find a way to reward both teams based on team or even individual MMR to make winning against weaker teams less rewarding or losing with low MMR ppl in your own team less punishing but get games going. :)

Another thing is that there is no fixed queue order, so it's not even guaranteed to get a pop at all, when MM just picks the best matching MMR players every time it creates a sc. With 4 ppl in queue for a specific slot you should be guaranteed to get least the 2nd sc pop, even if more players join queue after 1st sc pops.
Dying is no option.

dalen
Developer

Post#6 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:33 pm

Sulorie wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:07 pm Another thing is that there is no fixed queue order, so it's not even guaranteed to get a pop at all, when MM just picks the best matching MMR players every time it creates a sc. With 4 ppl in queue for a specific slot you should be guaranteed to get least the 2nd sc pop, even if more players join queue after 1st sc pops.
It does preserve queue order, so when it creates a pop for a specific MMR range it will pick the ones with the longest queue time in that range. And if it aborts due to 5v6 it will put people back in the front of the queue.
Source Developer

Sulorie

Post#7 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:58 pm

dalen wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:33 pm
Sulorie wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:07 pm Another thing is that there is no fixed queue order, so it's not even guaranteed to get a pop at all, when MM just picks the best matching MMR players every time it creates a sc. With 4 ppl in queue for a specific slot you should be guaranteed to get least the 2nd sc pop, even if more players join queue after 1st sc pops.
It does preserve queue order, so when it creates a pop for a specific MMR range it will pick the ones with the longest queue time in that range. And if it aborts due to 5v6 it will put people back in the front of the queue.
So the problem is, that specific MMR ranges are hardly used and therefore people get no pops despite being in queue for 90min+. This invalidates the whole reward structure, when it is tied to matches played and requires a lot games to even earn the currency.
Several times I dropped out of one sc, because not enough players and then I am in queue for a long time, while other sc pop - probably other MMR brackets.
This feels very frustrating.
Dying is no option.

Niky

Post#8 » Thu May 14, 2020 5:36 am

Rather, it just kills the urge to play. Yesterday I stood in line for 6 hours and played 5 games.

This is a very cool format, and thank you very much for making it. I know a lot of people who want to play it, but lose their motivation due to endless lines. Personally, I am ready to play with weaker allies, the main thing is to play.

My suggestion. Reduce the season time to a week, add various not significant rewards, maybe make them in the form of an event (mounts, tokens for pve armor, pockets)

The main task is to attract players, give them the opportunity to understand the new format and learn how to play it.
Destro: Mara Nyky / DOK Crystof
Order: SL Niky / BW Nykky / SW Nyky / WL Nikky / SM Ulee
Live: WP Eprst

Ads
Niky

Post#9 » Thu May 14, 2020 5:59 am

dalen wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:54 pm It is literally lax enough to match up the highest MMR player on the leaderboard with someone that is playing their first ranked SC.
If your team has a player coming in for the first time, you can not lower the rating of the players of his team, but increase in case of victory.

Niky

Post#10 » Thu May 14, 2020 5:59 am

About personal rating.

When you first start playing, you get huge increases or decreases in rating. (+200, -100).

I think this is not right. In the case of the first two defeats or victories, you risk being in the very top or at the very bottom of the rating.

In my opinion, this can dramatically negatively affect a player’s desire to continue when he lost his first 2-3 matches.

His thoughts "My rating is 1100 my God, I do not want anyone to see this."

A smoother decrease and increase in rating will give a more positive result.