Recent Topics

Ads

The Great Healer Debate - Armor vs. Wounds

Let's talk about... everything else
Toggle

The Great Healer Debate - Armor vs. Wounds

Post#1 » Sat May 09, 2020 12:18 pm

So, I've seen recommendations for healers all over the map both on the forums and in game. I'd like to attempt to settle the debate once and for all. When gearing a healer, people tend to gravitate (and recommend) towards going for as much healing as they can get with full genesis, all heal crit, and wounds talismans in their gear to survive. Other people swear up and down that you NEED armor to be a healer because dead healers don't heal. That camp recommends slotting armor talismans and using things like 3 piece beastlord to get your armor as high as you can. Who's right? Replies that would include discussion of actual math and/or how the game works would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really interested in the "because I said so" or "because I play ranked and know things" type of responses. Thanks!
Shaman - 40/8X
Zealot - 40/8X [Retired]
AM - 40/8X
RP - 40/7X [Retired]

Ads
Rydiak

Re: The Great Healer Debate - Armor vs. Wounds

Post#2 » Sat May 09, 2020 12:21 pm

Armor is absolutely fantastic, but it does nothing against morale drops. You need to be able to survive at least a group or two of morale drops. After that, stacking armor is a good source of mitigation.
Interested in the Grace playstyle but don't know where to start? Check out my Grace guide!

Check out my Damage Calculator. Also includes extra RoR calculators! -Updated for 01/25/24 patch!

Nameless

Post#3 » Sat May 09, 2020 12:33 pm

No math in my post but cos armor talis are sooo expensive I am toying around with ridiculously high negative number of being crit and soon I will try to build high tougness level, cos I got a feeling that negative to being crit is somehow not enough (that could be gear disparity as well)
On live my goal were 200 healing bonus which wasnt so hard to achieve, on ror I am quite far from that but somehow there is no feel for lacking heals
Mostly harmless

K8P & Norn - guild Orz

Toggle

Post#4 » Sat May 09, 2020 12:33 pm

Rydiak wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:21 pm Armor is absolutely fantastic, but it does nothing against morale drops. You need to be able to survive at least a group or two of morale drops. After that, stacking armor is a good source of mitigation.
What sort of numbers are we talking about for armor vs hp?
Shaman - 40/8X
Zealot - 40/8X [Retired]
AM - 40/8X
RP - 40/7X [Retired]

R3xz

Post#5 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:01 pm

It is regularly recommended that you slot enough wound talis to reach 8-9k+ heatlh to survive morale bomb and then rest to armor.

I do see some camps advocating for all armor talis though, but as someone already stated above, if you're running around with 6k hp and die by 3x 2k morale drop then theres no point to all the armor talis that you have.

As far as armor goes, you want around 3.3k armor to reach 75% physical damage reduction, but preferably you want 4k+ armor as a buffer for skills that penetrate or reduce armor.

Jabba

Post#6 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:04 pm

You can't just stack one thing and be tough. You need to invest in multiple areas or you're always going to be an easy kill.

You need enough wounds to survive Morales and to give yourself/other players more time to aid you.

You need plenty of reduced chance to be crit or you'll always be squishy no matter what else you stack.

You need armour or toughness for the mitigation, which is best depends on what class you are, what you're facing and what you're doing.

You need resists (easiest to do as they're dealt with in any reasonably balanced group)

Some dodge/disrupt etc never hurt either.
Tushi Splats Tush Emoalbino Podge

R3xz

Post#7 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:10 pm

Jabba wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:04 pm You can't just stack one thing and be tough. You need to invest in multiple areas or you're always going to be an easy kill.

You need enough wounds to survive Morales and to give yourself/other players more time to aid you.

You need plenty of reduced chance to be crit or you'll always be squishy no matter what else you stack.

You need armour or toughness for the mitigation, which is best depends on what class you are, what you're facing and what you're doing.

You need resists (easiest to do as they're dealt with in any reasonably balanced group)

Some dodge/disrupt etc never hurt either.
As a note, you can easily reach 0% chance to be crit through certain armor combination (and with Futile Strike renown) without having to slot initiative talisman. Some people even go into the negative as a buffer against certain abilities, which isn't a bad choice.

Drekan

Post#8 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:27 pm

Hp is fine against moral bomb only. And as a healer if you are under moral bomb look at your placement during fight. Imo healer should look for init and crit reduction first then armor.
Never understand people who stack hp and still be hited for full crit and dying so fast.

As i read before. Dead healer cant heal
Elizerain Thex

Ads
Nameless

Post#9 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:49 pm

My negative for being crit is -30 which is reachable with conq-vanq level, sadly gear difference is quite noticable and normal hits from some chars are quite hard
Mostly harmless

K8P & Norn - guild Orz

Nekkma

Post#10 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:53 pm

As a cloth healer I feel you need a decent amount of hp, around 8k with liniment. I also think that for a cloth healer to notice a difference you need to stack armor. Only 2-3 talis makes no noticable difference at least for me. You will not reach decent hp without slotting sounds talis before sov. I’m going for more or less full wounds until sov. If I have the gold I will go close to full armor when i get sov.
Nekkma / Hjortron
Zatakk
Smultron