Recent Topics

Ads

Toxicity in Ranked SC

Let's talk about... everything else
Zxul

Re: Toxicity in Ranked SC

Post#71 » Tue May 05, 2020 5:37 pm

Xergon wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:52 pm Some additional reward would be nice to see, and reward which is worth for everyone, independet of class or playstyle, something like a lot gold for example. Like maybe top100 get 100g, or quest, get 10wins 10g and so on...
On the side note, as someone with over 10 k gold spread between toons (and I'm not even trying hard), for 100 g I wouldn't even bother typing haha in chat.

Actually one thing I like about ranked- I hate scs, and currently regualr/ranked scs give a crap gear, so I don't actually need to do those.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

Ads
synyster3

Post#72 » Tue May 05, 2020 5:59 pm

Elemint wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:23 am I don't think people played a modern competitive game if they think this one is even remotely toxic. Not to mention GMs are so very keen on curbing negative behavior. So you've been met with criticism. Either consider the point behind the (very often not even harsh, just curt) words, or simply ignore it. I don't really get what the point of this thread is
Point is, unlike other games with massive player base, RoR Cannot afford to lose players, especially ranked que, when 90% of City instances are done and 0-1 ranked games in progress, you know the game mode is dead, people rather AFK or do regular SC. Weekend Prime time, 3-5 games in progress peaked. And we have toxic people actively discourage people to que even more, that is a nail to the coffin, wouldn't have to worry about noobs if ranked SC doesn't exist.

BTW most people can distinguish raging from constructive criticism.

In case you didn't know, games like League of Legends is completely ruined by toxic trolls from low to high rank.

https://twitter.com/Voyboy/status/1257455551795126278

Ignoring toxicity will kill any game eventually, it only takes longer for bigger games. When people start yelling at each other in a small community game like RoR, its not hard to see what is coming next.

Vayra

Post#73 » Tue May 05, 2020 6:13 pm

synyster3 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:59 pm
Elemint wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:23 am I don't think people played a modern competitive game if they think this one is even remotely toxic. Not to mention GMs are so very keen on curbing negative behavior. So you've been met with criticism. Either consider the point behind the (very often not even harsh, just curt) words, or simply ignore it. I don't really get what the point of this thread is
Point is, unlike other games with massive player base, RoR Cannot afford to lose players, especially ranked que, when 90% of City instances are done and 0-1 ranked games in progress, you know the game mode is dead, people rather AFK or do regular SC. Weekend Prime time, 3-5 games in progress peaked. And we have toxic people actively discourage people to que even more, that is a nail to the coffin, wouldn't have to worry about noobs if ranked SC doesn't exist.

BTW most people can distinguish raging from constructive criticism.

In case you didn't know, games like League of Legends is completely ruined by toxic trolls from low to high rank.

https://twitter.com/Voyboy/status/1257455551795126278

Ignoring toxicity will kill any game eventually, it only takes longer for bigger games. When people start yelling at each other in a small community game like RoR, its not hard to see what is coming next.

A big part of the low activity is that people simply aren't interested in ranked SCs. Sure, having a nice MMR score for everyone to see when I'm in an SC would be nice, but for a secondary game mode like scenarios, you're simply not gonna get a whole lot of people interested. You might get some good turnout once in a while if you make an event of it, but not enough to populate a permanent queue.

Toxicity isn't the cause here (though it certainly doesn't help), simple lack of interest outside a very niche group of players is.
Vayra - Sorc
Forkrul - DoK
Kalyth - BG

synyster3

Post#74 » Tue May 05, 2020 6:35 pm

Starx wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:03 pm premade ranked is dead, it only pops when you let another guild know you are queing and they have the players online to que as well. It's not something you just get the boys together and que for.

Solo que ranked is the only thing that has a chance to take off here, devs should focus on making that as good as possible.

Toxicity exists in every online game's competitive MM so to expect something different here is just dumb.

The problem with this game is every player in a 6 man has a major impact on your own performance. This isn't like counter strike were you can just carry bad players on your own, you are beholden to the other 5 players in your team to fulfill their role. You can't just pop off as say a mara when your tanks are playing bad and your healers are oop or dont know how to heal.
Bad player also exist in every game, expecting everyone on your team is good is just as dumb.

Here you can call people bad, noob, all caps raging and nothing happens to you. In many other games you get banned 10x over for flaming in chat.

porkstar

Post#75 » Tue May 05, 2020 6:42 pm

Make players in ranked anonymous, players un-inspectable, and MMR/rank not revealed until end of season.

An issue with anonymity might be a player joining to throw matches. Perhaps each player can have a unique tag, ex. Blackguard127, so you can still report if they are joining to throw the match. You can even keep your own spreadsheet for personal use, ex. Rune Priest156 - Sux.

How to give constructive feedback if you can't whisper the player because they're anonymous? idk if it would be possible to whisper the unique player tag. Could still give feedback in /SC chat too.

As ranked is currently formatted, it's up to the community to police itself regarding any non-constructive feedback during/after matches.
Vagreena Auntie Dangercat
Porkstar Hamcat Coolwave
Penril wrote:So you are saying that a class you never touched is OP?
Go play it before posting about it pal...

emiliorv
Suspended

Post#76 » Tue May 05, 2020 7:16 pm

Dont worry about any troubles with ranked sc´s...soon will be forbidden for the 99.9% of the server. Let the toxicity flow and the nature will follow its course...

wdesu

Post#77 » Tue May 05, 2020 9:41 pm

porkstar wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:42 pm Make players in ranked anonymous, players un-inspectable, and MMR/rank not revealed until end of season.

An issue with anonymity might be a player joining to throw matches. Perhaps each player can have a unique tag, ex. Blackguard127, so you can still report if they are joining to throw the match. You can even keep your own spreadsheet for personal use, ex. Rune Priest156 - Sux.

How to give constructive feedback if you can't whisper the player because they're anonymous? idk if it would be possible to whisper the unique player tag. Could still give feedback in /SC chat too.

As ranked is currently formatted, it's up to the community to police itself regarding any non-constructive feedback during/after matches.
I like this idea the most.

I think there's no need for persistent tags. The server could (probably) log the info needed to identify the player when you report them in-game, plus you can't just decide if the player "joins to throw the game" until they actually start to act this way (and you could just report them again. being reported twice under different tags is a better evidence). And forcing all communications to be in /sc seems like a bonus, actually, maybe publicity would make some people more reluctant to talk in a toxic way, when they know that there are several other people who can report them if they go over the top.

noronn

Post#78 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:07 pm

Honestly most people here are snowflakes and should use the /ignore command more. If you dont want to hear the opinion of that specific person just /ignore. As long as it isnt a hardcore racist insult move on. Why should another player be sanctioned if he calls you a bad player with a bad spec?
Most people I had that conversation with were thankful for the input and improved after pointing them in the right direction which is really satisfying to see. Of course there's also people who put you on ignore after asking "can I give you some feedback regarding the soloq scs?" but who cares.

Ads
lyncher12

Post#79 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:40 pm

i agree 110% with moronn here. listen up cupflakes if you can't handle some advice i recommend you pick yourself up by the bootstraps and roll up one of those skirt wearing classes so atleast people know what they are dealing with

synyster3

Post#80 » Wed May 06, 2020 1:01 am

lyncher12 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:40 pm i agree 110% with moronn here. listen up cupflakes if you can't handle some advice i recommend you pick yourself up by the bootstraps and roll up one of those skirt wearing classes so atleast people know what they are dealing with
And you think you're so good at the game? show all your IGN here and let everyone here whisper "advice" on your play, see how it goes?? but you won't cause you aren't as tough as you think..

Chances are, you just some nobody who ride the zerg and get carried all day. And have no idea on how 90% of the game works.