Recent Topics

Ads

Recommendations for reducing latency from Asia and Oceania

Let's talk about... everything else
Orion8351

Recommendations for reducing latency from Asia and Oceania

Post#1 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:49 am

On behalf of the Asia Pacific and Oceania Community, I would like to check if anyone has any recommendations on applications that we could use to reduce latency in-game. If you have experience with this in the past, both good and bad, it would be great to get your feedback on the matter. In particular, does anyone have experience with Mudfish, Battleping, Pingzapper, or WTFast?
Discord Community for RoR players from Asia Pacific, SEA, and Oceania (OCX): Click here

Ads
Kaelang

Re: Recommendations for reducing latency from Asia and Oceania

Post#2 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:05 pm

Ping reducers are okay, but they're not miracles. Most of them offer free trials so it's worth testing them out if you think they can help.

Similarly with a VPN, it can streamline the connection, but considering the distance, you're always going to experience latency.

The good thing, is Warhammer doesn't necessarily require <30 ping to be effective. It's a slower game and you won't need lightning fast trigger reflexes to perform.
DiscordFacebookTwitterInstagram

I play around with Social Media, troll our players on Discord and officially hate anyone who plays a dwarf.

Zlor

Post#3 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:28 am

I’m in New Zealand and exitlag has helped a bit, brought my MS down from the 300s to around 260ish.
Officer in <Age of Execution>

Xentath - 40/65 BG
Armsmasha - 40/50 BO
Throis - 40/55 Magus

videogamer

Post#4 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:50 am

Mudfish.

Internet infrastructure in the Oceania/sea region is very scuffed and poorly optimized because many of the SEA countries are still developing their infrastructure and sometimes it takes a long time for the developed countries to switch their systems to take advantage of recent infrastructure developments in the region. Internet service providers force your traffic to go through specific routes which can be quite inefficient. For example if you live in Western Australia you have access to physical infrastructure that goes straight to Singapore but your internet service provider may still route traffic all the way to the east coast first before it goes international.

Mudfish essentially allows you to force your traffic to go through specific infrastructure that is more conducive towards lower latency by selecting the hops or servers that it sends traffic to before it reaches it's destination. In the past you had to setup and experiment with this manually however their automated process is quite good now.

Mudfish bandwidth is dirt cheap, there is no monthly subscription, you simply buy a couple of dollars worth and it will last you literally 6 months. Mudfish also only routes your specific game traffic and not your entire traffic like a regular VPN which means you hop into a 20 ping server on an FPS game in your region and then hop into Warhammer with 100-200 less ping seamlessly without having to change anything.

If you get Mudfish you have to setup the Warhammer item. Fortunately Mudfish has it setup already for Return of Reckoning's server so all you have to do is go to Equip Item, select Warhammer: Age of Reckoning and it will select the RoR server in France. From the Dashboard you merely flip the switch on the Warhammer item where my cursor is, then you hit the Connect button:

(this box will have an X when it's turned off, click on the X and it will switch to an O to indicate that the item is on, then hit Connect button, from here Mudfish will automatically calculate an optimized node route to the RoR server)

One thing that is important to note is that you might have problems logging into the game from the launcher if the VPN is switched on (it will say Login Timed Out when the game loads up on the server selection screen). Simply switch it off, launch the game, and once you're ingame or at the character selection screen switch it back on it, your ping will adjust accordingly and you won't be disconnected. You can use the network tab in Resource Monitor to see your ping to WAR-64.exe or you can ping it manually via command prompt to confirm. For anyone curious I live Western Australia and my ping goes from 400ms+ to 240ms with Mudfish which is incredible for a European server.

Orion8351

Post#5 » Fri May 01, 2020 3:28 am

videogamer wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:50 am Mudfish.

Internet infrastructure in the Oceania/sea region is very scuffed and poorly optimized because many of the SEA countries are still developing their infrastructure and sometimes it takes a long time for the developed countries to switch their systems to take advantage of recent infrastructure developments in the region. Internet service providers force your traffic to go through specific routes which can be quite inefficient. For example if you live in Western Australia you have access to physical infrastructure that goes straight to Singapore but your internet service provider may still route traffic all the way to the east coast first before it goes international.

Mudfish essentially allows you to force your traffic to go through specific infrastructure that is more conducive towards lower latency by selecting the hops or servers that it sends traffic to before it reaches it's destination. In the past you had to setup and experiment with this manually however their automated process is quite good now.

Mudfish bandwidth is dirt cheap, there is no monthly subscription, you simply buy a couple of dollars worth and it will last you literally 6 months. Mudfish also only routes your specific game traffic and not your entire traffic like a regular VPN which means you hop into a 20 ping server on an FPS game in your region and then hop into Warhammer with 100-200 less ping seamlessly without having to change anything.

If you get Mudfish you have to setup the Warhammer item. Fortunately Mudfish has it setup already for Return of Reckoning's server so all you have to do is go to Equip Item, select Warhammer: Age of Reckoning and it will select the RoR server in France. From the Dashboard you merely flip the switch on the Warhammer item where my cursor is, then you hit the Connect button:

(this box will have an X when it's turned off, click on the X and it will switch to an O to indicate that the item is on, then hit Connect button, from here Mudfish will automatically calculate an optimized node route to the RoR server)

One thing that is important to note is that you might have problems logging into the game from the launcher if the VPN is switched on (it will say Login Timed Out when the game loads up on the server selection screen). Simply switch it off, launch the game, and once you're ingame or at the character selection screen switch it back on it, your ping will adjust accordingly and you won't be disconnected. You can use the network tab in Resource Monitor to see your ping to WAR-64.exe or you can ping it manually via command prompt to confirm. For anyone curious I live Western Australia and my ping goes from 400ms+ to 240ms with Mudfish which is incredible for a European server.
Thanks man. I'm from Singapore, so I might get Mudfish too. By the way, we have a small Discord Community for players from the region - please see my signature if you're keen!
Discord Community for RoR players from Asia Pacific, SEA, and Oceania (OCX): Click here