Recent Topics

Ads

Frustrating experience playing Slayer

Let's talk about... everything else
blakokami

Re: Frustrating experience playing Slayer

Post#11 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:00 pm

Are you playing slayer solo usually? If so, I feel bad for you. Slayer needs great teammates, and lots of gear (same for most mdps)
Old School / Lords of the Locker Room

Ads
billyk

Post#12 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:06 pm

You get no support when pugging and Slayer (And Chopper I guess) needs support. You should therefore try and get a build that's more solo-oriented to get some survivability, meta be damned.

But yes, a 2H off tank will in general be superior in pugging because better CC and more survivability. I main 2H SM and have noticed that my damage isn't worse than my Slayer's, usually better, and I get better survivability. I just lack the AoE, and that's the thing: IME Slayer is an AoE dps class that comes in 2nd or 3rd row after tanks and burst dps to finish off huge numbers of weakened opponents. Slayer is NOT meant to be a front row fighter.

I specc mostly WS for armor penetration because Slayer is bad at armor debuffing, try to get parry as high as possible + riposte tactic, and go full AoE with mostly Flurry and ID, sprinkled with Shatter Limbs and AoE Snare. This works reasonably well but the Slayer is no "first in last out" commando like a 2H SM. As mentioned above you need to change your playstyle a lot if you come to Slayer from a 2H tank.

Noslock

Post#13 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:34 pm

40/40 probably undergeared and u complain cause you instadie on the most squishy melee dps in the game?Get to rr70+ get your bis gear get a guard and a couple of pocket healers and your life will change or if u like dwarves so much roll a 2h ib and you will probably last longer while roaming in rvr.

TreefAM

Post#14 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:11 pm

Also ibs are monsters in 1v1s if you enjoy solo roaming, with the right spec you are able to fight anything.
I main a blackguard myself and it's always fun to run into solo roam speced IBs and have those 15min duels before we part ways with full hp :)

mrkimarko

Post#15 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:27 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, I see that i'm pretty bad geared now, but still i'm not convinced that it will be much better even if max it out. I did try specing more defensive build but it makes almost no difference.
in my opinion no class should be completely dependant on other class, especially not on two other classes, thats just really bad design not balanced at all, Slayer damage should be a league for itself (far above everyone else) for such a downside but its not.
So i guess i will just role Ironbreaker and continue on my Black Orc simultaneously. Thanks again!

Grock

Post#16 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:50 pm

mrkimarko wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:27 pm in my opinion no class should be completely dependant on other class, especially not on two other classes, thats just really bad design not balanced at all
True, for an open world MMO game being fully group-reliant isn't a good design.
But WAR's class design is closer to a MOBA games where you always guaranteed a group.

One of the reasons why i enjoy random BGs in retail WoW much more than in WAR. In WoW on every class you have plenty of defensive options, CC and mobility to control what happens to you, so you can play comfortably without a premade as pretty much any class, and 1v1 is fairly balanced and skill-based as well.

It gets better with RR and gear though.

A lot of your frustration is also because of the gear/rr difference really.
Focus on group play and gear farming, do some dungeons, farm Thunder Valley, do as many city sieges as you can before rr70 to get faster Invader set.

Can't bypass the grind here, no matter the class
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

CountTalabecland

Post#17 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:18 pm

Don’t defensively spec a Slayer. You will gimp your damage and you won’t be any more useful or survivable.

Early on you can mix and match set bonuses for +wounds and + armor but that is still for wb play and damage will still be your main concern.

Also getting renown medal/emblem health potions and another set of crafted porions (rejuvanating draught from ah) is a must for Slayer so you can double health pot when focused.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

growill

Post#18 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:41 am

mrkimarko wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:27 pm in my opinion no class should be completely dependant on other class, especially not on two other classes, thats just really bad design not balanced at all, Slayer damage should be a league for itself (far above everyone else) for such a downside but its not.
So i guess i will just role Ironbreaker and continue on my Black Orc simultaneously. Thanks again!
Then you have picked the wrong game.. I'm not saying this to sound harsh it's just really how it is. It's like pretending to play FFXI solo. Sure there's a couple of classes that can somehow manage but these are games heavily focused on class dependecy from each other, and it's the beauty of it because people actually play together and they get good together

The beauty of this is that you get many tools to easily find people to play with and if you're willing it will probably be worth it

Ads