Recent Topics

Ads

Witch Elf or Marauder for dps?

Let's talk about... everything else
BIGXz

Witch Elf or Marauder for dps?

Post#1 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:24 pm

Hello everyone.

I hope this is the correct place to ask questions like this.

Basically I recently started playing RoR, and enjoying it so far. I have a 21 Shaman which I use in Scenarios for healing.
Instead of switching to dps specs and collecting two sets of gear when I wanna deal damage. I plan to make a dps char as well, when I feel the need to bring the pain.

My question is as the title states, which would you guys that play in the "endgame" recommend? I have been searching all over google and these forums quite a bit, and all I have gotten from that, is that either class is in a great spot at the moment.
Is that true? I know recently the Marauder got a change to a morale drain/AP spec that people were apparently playing, which has upset some people. But at the same time, many abilities buffed with more damage. I would prefer not to play as a morale drain/AP debuffer anyways, so personally the damage buffs sound good to me. Question is; is it now viable as a class used for dealing damage, killing healers, casters and such? Or should I pick the Witch Elf for that role?

Any feedback would be highly appreciated, as I am jumping back and forth between the two classes, my Witch Elf is 19 I believe, and my Marauder 17 or 18.

Before you say, play the class you enjoy the most. Problem is I enjoy both haha. So getting some information from people actually playing at endgame, would help me in my decision making.

Thanks in advance guys.

Ads
Foofmonger

Re: Witch Elf or Marauder for dps?

Post#2 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:30 pm

BIGXz wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:24 pm Hello everyone.

Basically I recently started playing RoR, and enjoying it so far. I have a 21 Shaman which I use in Scenarios for healing.
Instead of switching to dps specs and collecting two sets of gear when I wanna deal damage. I plan to make a dps char as well, when I feel the need to bring the pain.

My question is as the title states, which would you guys that play in the "endgame" recommend? I have been searching all over google and these forums quite a bit, and all I have gotten from that, is that either class is in a great spot at the moment.
Is that true? I know recently the Marauder got a change to a morale drain/AP spec that people were apparently playing, which has upset some people. But at the same time, many abilities buffed with more damage. I would prefer not to play as a morale drain/AP debuffer anyways, so personally the damage buffs sound good to me. Question is; is it now viable as a class used for dealing damage, killing healers, casters and such? Or should I pick the Witch Elf for that role?

Any feedback would be highly appreciated, as I am jumping back and forth between the two classes, my Witch Elf is 19 I believe, and my Marauder 17 or 18.

Before you say, play the class you enjoy the most. Problem is I enjoy both haha. So getting some information from people actually playing at endgame, would help me in my decision making.

Thanks in advance guys.
Right now it's a fairly easy choice, as the WE/WH aren't very viable in large scale end-game content at the moment. That being said, they do, a bunch more damage then a Marauder (to a single target).

That may of course change in the future, but generally speaking Marauder would be the better choice for now until the WE/WH gets some balance changes.

Sofong

Post#3 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:31 pm

witch elf if u want real dps type dps and killing power. mara have some utility and middle armor. their game mode very different.

BIGXz

Post#4 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:57 pm

Foofmonger wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:30 pm

Thanks in advance guys.
Right now it's a fairly easy choice, as the WE/WH aren't very viable in large scale end-game content at the moment. That being said, they do, a bunch more damage then a Marauder (to a single target).

That may of course change in the future, but generally speaking Marauder would be the better choice for now until the WE/WH gets some balance changes.
Thats a pity, poor Witch Elves lol. But thanks for your input. I do like a pure dps burn someone down playstyle. Is that possible to achieve with a Marauder? Or will I just be a debuff utility machine?

sighy

Post#5 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:58 pm

WE atm has big issues(which last patch only added to severely i might add). When it's not getting dumpstered for no reason however it's a fun class/fantasy to get into.

Marauder is pretty much the best city mPDS, where they can bring both outstanding utility and considerable punch and is by far the toughest out of the mdps on offer.

Foofmonger

Post#6 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:06 pm

BIGXz wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:57 pm
Foofmonger wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:30 pm

Thanks in advance guys.

Thats a pity, poor Witch Elves lol. But thanks for your input. I do like a pure dps burn someone down playstyle. Is that possible to achieve with a Marauder? Or will I just be a debuff utility machine?
Marauders have the lowest damage out of any MDPS class, but at least after the recent buff it's higher then Tanks, so that's nice. You can still kill people with a Marauder, and you can go glass cannon-esque in your gear to do that, but "max dps" won't be your speciality.

If that's what you are looking for, you are missing the proper class in this discussion - The Choppa. For a "pure dps burn someone down playstyle", this is the MDPS class you should pick.

For a general "lazy" guide to the MDPS classes:

Destro:

Choppa: High AoE and ST DPS, low utility, moderate mobility, low defenses.
Marauder: Moderate AoE and ST DPS, moderate utility, moderate mobility, moderate defenses.
Witch Elf, Low/No AoE DPS, High ST DPS, moderate utility, low mobility, low defenses.

Order:
Slayer: High AoE and ST DPS, moderate utility, moderate mobility, low defenses.
White Lion, Moderate AoE and High ST DPS, low utility, high mobility, moderate defenses.
WH: Low/No AoE DPS, High ST DPS, moderate utility, low mobility, low defenses.

TLDR: By far the 3 best melee classes are the Slayer/WL/Choppa. Everyone else is basically in a "there ok" bracket. Marauder got a bunch of utility nerfs over the years which if reverted would probably make them just fine (right now they trade ST burst and mobility from the WL to utility, but it's not a good trade). As I mentioned already, WH/WE are in a weird spot right now and not great.

Starx

Post#7 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:47 pm

I never played mara after the nerfs, but to say that WE does significantly more single target damage than mara the nerfs must have been pretty brutal (haha get it?).

WE is also boring to play OP, it's a literal handful of buttons ape class most of the time. Mara has so much more going on to stimulate your brain and increase the skill ceiling bc of pulls, m1 plays, stance switching, debuff prioties etc...

sighy

Post#8 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:36 pm

Starx wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:47 pm I never played mara after the nerfs, but to say that WE does significantly more single target damage than mara the nerfs must have been pretty brutal (haha get it?).

WE is also boring to play OP, it's a literal handful of buttons ape class most of the time. Mara has so much more going on to stimulate your brain and increase the skill ceiling bc of pulls, m1 plays, stance switching, debuff prioties etc...
Ironically mara was broadly buffed like two weeks ago and does very solid damage, while WE has basically nothing going for it outside of morale pump/drain. So it's basically like a monstro mara used to be, except it has next to no aoe damage, no aoe KD, ok single target and is squishy as ****.

Ads
Foofmonger

Post#9 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:56 pm

sighy wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:36 pm
Starx wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:47 pm I never played mara after the nerfs, but to say that WE does significantly more single target damage than mara the nerfs must have been pretty brutal (haha get it?).

Ironically mara was broadly buffed like two weeks ago and does very solid damage, while WE has basically nothing going for it outside of morale pump/drain. So it's basically like a monstro mara used to be, except it has next to no aoe damage, no aoe KD, ok single target and is squishy as ****.
It wasn't broadly buffed, it took a morale drain nerf and got a damage buff in return. That's called a functionality change. The Marauder damage now is "solid" but it's the worst out of any MDPS class, including WE/WH (on a single target of course, since WE/WH AoE is now non-existent). WE/WHs are definitely nothing like Monstro maras used to be, you still do more ST damage then a ST Mara, a Monstro Marauder used to do Sword and Board tank level AoE damage.

I'm not saying WH/WE's don't need love here my friend, just that the comparison you made above isn't all that accurate. The Marauder right now still does worse damage then a WH/WE (on a single target), and that's even after the buff, which the class had to take a nerf to even get.

It would be like if they decide to change the WE/WH by giving you your AOE back, and removing your morale pump/drain. I guarantee if that the devs did that, you would not call it a "broad buff" for the class you play, so calling the Marauder changes "broadly buffs" isn't accurate.

Foofmonger

Post#10 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:58 pm

There's no point in this history of Warhammer Online in which the Marauder ever did comparable single target damage to the WE/WH, unless there was some specific weird bug at a specific time that either boosted the Marauder or hit the WE/WH damage, that I do not remember. It took me many years of forum warrioring with the Mythic Development team to even get Mara ST damage up to "above DPS tank" levels, and many people don't remember how bad the classes ST damage used to be (impale was a back positional only that had no armor ignore, no relaible crit damage tactic, no stance procs, terrible baseline damage, terrible scaling, etc...)