Ads

Increase all movement speeds 10%

Let's talk about... everything else
Torintinhammer

Re: Increase all movement speeds 10%

Post#11 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:11 am

Kaelang wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:44 pm
Torintinhammer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:57 pm
Kaelang wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:50 pmUh...
Please continue, we are enthralled. :)

Seriously, hard to have a constructive conversation when someone posts "Uh...".
Sorry - I honestly didn't think this was a serious thread. A 10% movement increase is a similar to change of something like 'lets increase damage across the board by 10%'. Or, for example, let's give everyone 10% more renown points.

The current stats are based off of live, and this server is emulating a live server with further development and updates to the core game. I think if customisation of game elements like this start to happen, a lot of people will be confused with the direction of which the server would be going. A 10% movement difference isn't significant, correct, but it's significant enough to highlight that the project team are open to changing values that are based off of live, which will turn people away if they're looking for a live-experience.
But there are already changes to the game from AOR, correct? And this is hardly a customization. This is changing a value, not unique coding. We have double XP weekends and that isn't a customization.

And this is not the same as changing damage by 10% across the board. Damage is dynamic based on class and ability. Everyone has the same movement speed. Apples to Ford Thunderbirds.

Additional 10% renown points is apples to apples and sounds good to me.

Ads
SaintRon

Post#12 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:21 am

I get slow and you want to go faster, but choppy? How is going faster going to lessen "choppy"? Wouldn't that make it choppier?

From just a "I want to go faster" standpoint - it's a change that would require a lot of balance rework to compensate classes that need to plant.

Torintinhammer

Post#13 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:46 pm

SaintRon wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:21 am I get slow and you want to go faster, but choppy? How is going faster going to lessen "choppy"? Wouldn't that make it choppier?

From just a "I want to go faster" standpoint - it's a change that would require a lot of balance rework to compensate classes that need to plant.
Hmmm, so which classes need to plant? If you are not constantly positioning probably not a good thing or the other side is so pinned down you don't need to.

By choppy mean that some of the animations look like they are running through mud. Faster mean it would look less so.

Let's break this down further.

If you are in a keep siege or constrained battle this isn't going to have much effect. Also if grouped you still need to stay in range of your healers. If you move as a group the speed bump would help. Otherwise people might find themselves getting detached and dead.

If you are doing PvE this will be awesome getting point to point.

Solo PvP, this is where it gets interesting. For melee it would allow you to close on unaware targets faster. Targets that are aware would be able to snare or knockback and separate so no advantage and maybe a disadvantage if you pick the wrong target. For ranged the advantage is for kiters but only to disengage. During normal engagements the speeds are the same and rotations (planting) will still occur when the targets are stunned/snared/knockback.

To sum it up, if you are playing static and unaware in PvP you will die anyway. This change would just allow the inevitable to happen faster. If you play aware and dynamic this will have no change in PvP. PvE this change would be great.

And it would be so easy to implement. All the devs have to do is change the code to red font...

Grock

Post#14 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:14 pm

To really sum it up you fail to gauge how much this kind of change will affect.

It won't affect just ranged attacks, but AoE and melee too.
It will affect travel time on the battlefield and considerably reduce the time it takes to go from BO to BO in either RvR or Scenarios. This will be particularly noticeable in Forts and Cities.

Increasing distance on ranged attacks and AoE abilities will change dead zones where ranged or AoE abilities can't hit you.
Not changing that will make it easier to get out of danger zone.
Lowering cast times to compensate will change DPS and cause other effects.

One of the game's strong point has always been low mobility and importance of proper positioning, while in most other MMOs movement speeds and movement abiliites make a lot of that a lot less punishing.

It will cause a butterfly effect. Don't touch it.
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

Arbich
Suspended

Post#15 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:20 pm

Torintinhammer wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:46 pm
To sum it up, if you are playing static and unaware in PvP you will die anyway. This change would just allow the inevitable to happen faster. If you play aware and dynamic this will have no change in PvP. PvE this change would be great.
That's not the case. It would buff snares, buff charges, buff speedproccs, nerf punts, nerf pounce and in general buff melee/nerf range.
Just think about snares and charges which have an percentage increase/decrease relatively to basic speed. Punts, pounce and abilities in general (spells/attacks,cc) have a fixed range/area of effect.
Arbich-BW/Xanthippe-WP/Schnipsel-AM

Kaelang

Post#16 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:37 pm

Torintinhammer wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:11 am
Kaelang wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:44 pm
Torintinhammer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:57 pm

Please continue, we are enthralled. :)

Seriously, hard to have a constructive conversation when someone posts "Uh...".
Sorry - I honestly didn't think this was a serious thread. A 10% movement increase is a similar to change of something like 'lets increase damage across the board by 10%'. Or, for example, let's give everyone 10% more renown points.

The current stats are based off of live, and this server is emulating a live server with further development and updates to the core game. I think if customisation of game elements like this start to happen, a lot of people will be confused with the direction of which the server would be going. A 10% movement difference isn't significant, correct, but it's significant enough to highlight that the project team are open to changing values that are based off of live, which will turn people away if they're looking for a live-experience.
But there are already changes to the game from AOR, correct? And this is hardly a customization. This is changing a value, not unique coding. We have double XP weekends and that isn't a customization.

And this is not the same as changing damage by 10% across the board. Damage is dynamic based on class and ability. Everyone has the same movement speed. Apples to Ford Thunderbirds.

Additional 10% renown points is apples to apples and sounds good to me.
Thank you - with this response I understand your suggestion a bit more.

On a personal level, I think the current state of movement speed is okay, and the 10% chance wouldn't necessarily provide much of an impact. But it's good to see the suggestion here generating some discussion. :)
DiscordFacebookTwitterInstagram

I play around with Social Media, troll our players on Discord and officially hate anyone who plays a dwarf.

imperialdeadite

Post#17 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:57 pm

Torintinhammer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:55 pm
Vayra wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:57 pm Only if all ranged attacks and heals get an appropriate increase in range to offset the ability of melee classes to close the distance faster. It's hard enough playing ranged as it is.
Not sure why they would need more range. Should be maintaining positioning by moving when possible and everyone would move at the same speed.

This change would however prove an advantage to people who do move when they play. Kiters would become more effective. Stationary people would find it harder I guess. But they are already making it hard on themselves, right?

Whether the change is needed or not it would be pretty easy to implement.
"Maintaining position" is all well and good. Until your healers need to cast a 2-5 second heal spell while standing still.
So, yes please, let us make MDPS all better at killing healers. Sounds...fun...
Waaghkiller the Man Hunter -- Goblin Shaman

Sofong

Post#18 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:06 pm

actually its a good idea, amount of aoe snare make game very clumsy, basically perma snared.

Ads
imperialdeadite

Post#19 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:12 pm

Sofong wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:06 pm actually its a good idea, amount of aoe snare make game very clumsy, basically perma snared.
Your logic doesn't make sense. You could only be considering a standard rate of speed as being "snared" if there was a higher standard rate of speed to compare it to.
Currently you are comparing the standard rate of speed as slower than your hypothetical rate of speed.
In that case, I think goblins should move faster than any other race and cast spells faster. Un-nerf goblins! Make them as great as I envision in my mind!!!

Do you see how silly that line of thinking gets?

imperialdeadite

Post#20 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:16 pm

This suggestion has a lot of subtle game impacts.

Players moving faster:
1. Capture more objectives faster. Making the size of each map effectively smaller.
2. Makes MDPS classes better than any other role in the game.
3. Makes ranged classes, RDPS and heals, more vulnerable.
4. Penalizes any character trying to make use of non-instant actions.

The idea of standard movement being faster may have come from a well-intentioned place. But it would have a significant and detrimental impact on the game as a whole.