Is Magical dmg broken and Overpowered?

Let's talk about... everything else
adamthelc

Re: Is Magical dmg broken and Overpowered?

Post#11 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:09 pm

If anything can kill a tank it's broken. It shouldnt matter if they have a shield or GW.

Magic damage has always been the way to kill tanks. It can actually be a huge pain in the ass now with how high disrupt and block rates can be.

If a single caster can reliably blow you up, you arent as "tanky" as you could be.

Ads
Flavorburst

Post#12 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:27 pm

I am not sure what expectations people have based on some of these responses, but a tank shouldn't be able to just hang out solo and not die to magic damage (or any other kind of damage outside of morale, really).

A tank should, however, have the ability to be "kept up" by a healer with more ease than a dps. If you are dying to lone casters, then there are things that you and/or your healer aren't doing to keep you alive.

Things you or your healer could be doing to keep you alive from magic damage:

1) Cleansing. If you cleanse a chillwind or an ignite, you have significantly reduced the damage of the rotation the sorc/BW is putting out (since most sorcs/BWs take the debuff tactic). This also creates an opportunity for a second healer to cleanse and remove a WoP or BB (or, the sorc/bw is dumb and didn't bury his big hitting abilities, so you can just remove that).

2) Putting a bubble up before WoP/BB expires. If you time it right, you can have the bubble eat basically all the damage, since bubbles cause abilities not to crit if they can absorb the base value of the attack.

3) HTL. See a chillwind debuff or the animation surround your character? Cool. Hit Hold the Line.

4) Taunt. If you see a sorc/bw winding something up (or a magus with bolt of change), taunt them. Not challenge, but single target taunt. If you want a little bit of a heads up: if you see a chillwind/ignite and a WoP/BB already on you, chances are they are about to or already winding up on you, so that would be a good time to taunt them to stop the cast from going through.

There's more stuff you can do, but let's start with getting those things down before complaining about solo casters blowing people up.

BeautfulToad

Post#13 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:20 pm

Flavorburst wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:27 pm
1) Cleansing. If you cleanse a chillwind or an ignite, you have significantly reduced the damage of the rotation the sorc/BW is putting out (since most sorcs/BWs take the debuff tactic). This also creates an opportunity for a second healer to cleanse and remove a WoP or BB (or, the sorc/bw is dumb and didn't bury his big hitting abilities, so you can just remove that).
I think this is maybe an issue of level disparities.

Even if the healer does not cleanse ignite, cleansing any of their dots will reduce significantly reduce the damage of the rotation. Add in a couple healing dots, and the a single Sorc/BW rotation will be lucky to do any damage at all.

An optimised SnB IB, without a healer, will eventually die if solo'd but it will hardly be quick. The GMs have been traditionally much more concerned with certain 2handed tank builds since a well geared one can sometimes be very tanky and do a nice amount of damage. It's true of nearly all tank classes, and it is not easy to take one down 1v1 (if both chars are similarly leveled).

Zxul

Post#14 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:43 pm

kam19080 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:25 am The mechanism of resist cap in 600 and u cant stat it for more effective dmg reduction.

40% dmg reduction of magical dmg seems not enough to against it.

Even u play a knight has 900+ resist, u also got a magical dmg 1200-1700+......

how come a tanky class being killed instantly by magical dmg.

Is it an imbalance of tanky class facing magical class?

When the official server was still alive, I remembered tanky class is not easy killed by magical dmg.

Is it toughness being nerfed and cause the magical dmg too overpower?
Playing my chosen yesterday- bws hit me for 400 (700 mitigated). Thats the times when they actually manage to get past HtL.

If magical dmg instantly kills you, the problem is at your end. So you turned resists aura on, and expected to instantly ignore casters? Whats your toughness- do you have 800+? Whats your anticrit- do you have FS3, as well as crit reducing items? How much init have you got? There is a reason why init talis are out there.

And in general, even on my nontank toons lots of hits are reduces to 100 or so after mitigation. Lol at dmg being too high.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

kmark101

Post#15 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:53 pm

Zxul wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:43 pm
Playing my chosen yesterday- bws hit me for 400 (700 mitigated). Thats the times when they actually manage to get past HtL.

If magical dmg instantly kills you, the problem is at your end. So you turned resists aura on, and expected to instantly ignore casters? Whats your toughness- do you have 800+? Whats your anticrit- do you have FS3, as well as crit reducing items? How much init have you got? There is a reason why init talis are out there.

And in general, even on my nontank toons lots of hits are reduces to 100 or so after mitigation. Lol at dmg being too high.
As an IB we can only dream about such high stats as a chosen (all at the same time). As an example, sorcs are hitting me for 1600 crits easily in full invader gear. As an exchange, I can hit them for 200 damage, because they have full armor talis and armor potion... Game is overly retarded now with the superhigh armor values against physical only classes like the IB, while classes who do magical damage are thriving. That's why the recent, totally unnecessary buffs to chosens widened this gap even more, now they are literally unbeatable juggernoughts, with all their stats above 800, 10k wounds, spamming spirit damage 4-600 swings... and again, as an exchange, I can hit them for 18 damage per swing on a good day... GG devs
Gryyw - Ironbreaker

Sulorie

Post#16 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:15 pm

kmark101 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:53 pm

As an IB we can only dream about such high stats as a chosen (all at the same time). As an example, sorcs are hitting me for 1600 crits easily in full invader gear. As an exchange, I can hit them for 200 damage, because they have full armor talis and armor potion...
As if they stack armor talis. xD Get your resists up by buffs and jewel set.
Dying is no option.

bctakhy

Post#17 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:17 pm

Now imagine get to 100% disrupt and get rekt by undefetable fireballs...

Zxul

Post#18 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:53 pm

kmark101 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:53 pm
Zxul wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:43 pm

As an IB we can only dream about such high stats as a chosen (all at the same time). As an example, sorcs are hitting me for 1600 crits easily in full invader gear. As an exchange, I can hit them for 200 damage, because they have full armor talis and armor potion... Game is overly retarded now with the superhigh armor values against physical only classes like the IB, while classes who do magical damage are thriving. That's why the recent, totally unnecessary buffs to chosens widened this gap even more, now they are literally unbeatable juggernoughts, with all their stats above 800, 10k wounds, spamming spirit damage 4-600 swings... and again, as an exchange, I can hit them for 18 damage per swing on a good day... GG devs
As an IB, your M1+Stone Breaker debuff armor by 2 k. Added 50% or so armor pen from ws, and 4 k armor tank has less mitigation from armor than a glass cannon sorc. What exactly are you hitting chosen with for 18 dmg?

As for sorcs hitting for 1600, out of the stuff which I posted only the resist aura is chosen/kotb only. Like Sulorie said, get buff off am (plenty of those around), or slot Winds, or say use that +150 spirit resist jewelry which also adds other nice stuff + ap regen, which I use on several classes (since spirit resist is the only one you really need, not to mention you can self buff corp).

Also, sorc which actually slotted armor talis won't hit for 1600 even on unoptimized tank.

As for all stats 800+, only difference between chosen and IB is that chosen doesn't needs ws (still will cost chosen tactic slot, or aa without ws won't scratch the paint). From other hand, with the ws IB has a higher dps potential (lets look at say Cave-In with max grunges, and during that 2 k armor debuff- or say at aa haste which chosen doesn't gets, while IB gets it without even having to spec into any line).
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

Ads
adamthelc

Post#19 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:00 am

bctakhy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:17 pm Now imagine get to 100% disrupt and get rekt by undefetable fireballs...
Undependable fireballs is not really a question of magic damage being overpowered.

Zxul

Post#20 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:04 am

adamthelc wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:00 am
bctakhy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:17 pm Now imagine get to 100% disrupt and get rekt by undefetable fireballs...
Undependable fireballs is not really a question of magic damage being overpowered.
+They might ignore disrupt, they don't ignore resists/toughness/crit reduction.