Recent Topics

Ads

Are forum bans not lifted anymore?

Let's talk about... everything else

Moderators: Developer, Management, Web Developer

User avatar
Arbich
Posts: 517

Re: Are forum bans not lifted anymore?

Post#21 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:18 pm

Haskr wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:08 pm
Man, who would have thought that my feud against bans would produce even more bans :cry:
Serious question?
Maybe some kind of ombudsman would help to avoid unnessessary bans like saftdrycks or bepbepiamajeeps. Where is the community manager and what is his job profile?
Arbich-BW/Xanthippe-WP/Schnipsel-AM

Ads
User avatar
Haskr
Posts: 320

Re: Are forum bans not lifted anymore?

Post#22 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:26 pm

Arbich wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:18 pm
Haskr wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:08 pm
Man, who would have thought that my feud against bans would produce even more bans :cry:
Where is the community manager and what is his job profile?
There is a community manager?

Sulorie
Posts: 4160

Re: Are forum bans not lifted anymore?

Post#23 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Some people just deserve it. :^)

@Arbich: Seriously, either those mentioned players were drunk, which is no excuse or they deserve the bans at least at the very moment they posted their **** in ban appeal thread. I don't see how the punishment was too hard considering their language and tone.
At some point, at least in my generation, we learned manners.
I have the impression, that some members of "famous" groups think they are immune to punishment, because they have support by many players in the community and can continue to walk on this thin line.
Whenever I witnessed officials to write snarky replies and there are plenty as I am here for some time, it was always launched from player side first. I think some people lack self-reflection and apparently don't notice, when their posts are inappropriate.
Dying is no option.

User avatar
DanielWinner
Community Manager
Posts: 727
Contact:

Re: Are forum bans not lifted anymore?

Post#24 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Haskr wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:26 pm
Arbich wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:18 pm
Haskr wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:08 pm
Man, who would have thought that my feud against bans would produce even more bans :cry:
Where is the community manager and what is his job profile?
There is a community manager?
Head GM > average CM.
There is always a bigger fish with greater power.

One possible way would be to silence everyone so they won’t post their criticism/banter/whatnot.

So, would it be any different from Banhammer we see now?

Of course, I could post the same “deal with it”. But would it change anything again?

Unfortunately, apologizing for inconvenience like “sorry, guys, you got banned because of some reasons, I didn’t make those bans and those never happened before but hey sorry, let’s move on” is not the best way either.

The choosen way of banning everyone who dare to say unappreciated stuff will come to an end only when there is no more people to ban.
This colour is always used for moderation and opinion of the team.

Ripliel - Shadow Warrior.
Riphael - Black Guard.

Very Serious Warhammer Online Montage
Spoiler:
Gotcha
Image

User avatar
Haskr
Posts: 320

Re: Are forum bans not lifted anymore?

Post#25 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:07 pm

wargrimnir wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:56 pm
Haskr wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:41 pm
When I tell people to contact me in a week, I don't mean in the appeals section of the forum (which should be pretty clear in the rules). I mean to contact me and have a conversation.
Well but that is the point I don't get, if someone gets a ban, and its not an indefinite one, it means there has to be a certain amount of days to it (lets say 8, or whatever, I don't know what the steps are).
After those 8 days, wouldn't it be much easier to just lift the ban (easier as in: no extra work for the gamemaster/evildoer).
Why is there a need to have a conversation or write something, what should be the point of that?
Or is it like a ritual, were you make a kowtow infront of the emperor, while both partys know very well that its just a ritualistic show of goodwill or submission?

User avatar
Arbich
Posts: 517

Re: Are forum bans not lifted anymore?

Post#26 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:21 pm

Sulorie wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:40 pm
Some people just deserve it. :^)

@Arbich: Seriously, either those mentioned players were drunk, which is no excuse or they deserve the bans at least at the very moment they posted their **** in ban appeal thread. I don't see how the punishment was too hard considering their language and tone.
At some point, at least in my generation, we learned manners.
I have the impression, that some members of "famous" groups think they are immune to punishment, because they have support by many players in the community and can continue to walk on this thin line.
Whenever I witnessed officials to write snarky replies and there are plenty as I am here for some time, it was always launched from player side first. I think some people lack self-reflection and apparently don't notice, when their posts are inappropriate.
1. being drunk is an excuse, i would say.
And what is the ban appeal subforum about anyway?
Whats the problem with the following appeals:
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=33165
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=33325
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=33330
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=30392

These examples seem ok. Just asking for clarification about their duration and reasons for their bans. And I wouldn´t call them all members of famous groups. The replies from wagrimmir are snarky.
Yes, some comments of some members of the community are a bit edgy sometimes. But they are not really insulting and as a mature person you can ignore them.
The thing is, every few months we have some discussion about behaviour between staff and community, which brings toxicity in a in general very nice community. The reasons for the conflicts are unnecessary and rooted in bad community management. And I dont blame the CMs, as I am aware about their limitations.
Arbich-BW/Xanthippe-WP/Schnipsel-AM

User avatar
wargrimnir
Head Game Master
Posts: 5534
Contact:

Re: Are forum bans not lifted anymore?

Post#27 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:31 pm

Haskr wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:08 pm
Man, who would have thought that my feud against bans would produce even more bans :cry:
I would have put money on it. People like to put on a show if you give them a platform.
Image
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Sulorie
Posts: 4160

Re: Are forum bans not lifted anymore?

Post#28 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Arbich wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:21 pm

1. being drunk is an excuse, i would say.
And what is the ban appeal subforum about anyway?
Whats the problem with the following appeals:
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=33165
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=33325
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=33330
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=30392

These examples seem ok. Just asking for clarification about their duration and reasons for their bans. And I wouldn´t call them all members of famous groups. The replies from wagrimmir are snarky.
Yes, some comments of some members of the community are a bit edgy sometimes. But they are not really insulting and as a mature person you can ignore them.
The thing is, every few months we have some discussion about behaviour between staff and community, which brings toxicity in a in general very nice community. The reasons for the conflicts are unnecessary and rooted in bad community management. And I dont blame the CMs, as I am aware about their limitations.
How about this one:
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=33190

In what sense does this fit to "Maybe some kind of ombudsman would help to avoid unnessessary bans like ... bepbepiamajeeps."? It's an honest question.

I wouldn't expect someone, who just finished the duration of a temp-ban or asks for its duration, to talk like this. Why don't you notice their inappropriate tone? Some of the comments are no less than cheeky.
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=33165
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=33330

And no, being drunk is no excuse for anything. If a player can't control their temper, when being drunk, then
he/she shouldn't log in. All but a small minority are able to do so.
Dying is no option.

Ads
User avatar
wargrimnir
Head Game Master
Posts: 5534
Contact:

Re: Are forum bans not lifted anymore?

Post#29 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:49 pm

Haskr wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:07 pm
wargrimnir wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:56 pm
Haskr wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:41 pm
When I tell people to contact me in a week, I don't mean in the appeals section of the forum (which should be pretty clear in the rules). I mean to contact me and have a conversation.
Well but that is the point I don't get, if someone gets a ban, and its not an indefinite one, it means there has to be a certain amount of days to it (lets say 8, or whatever, I don't know what the steps are).
After those 8 days, wouldn't it be much easier to just lift the ban (easier as in: no extra work for the gamemaster/evildoer).
Why is there a need to have a conversation or write something, what should be the point of that?
Or is it like a ritual, were you make a kowtow infront of the emperor, while both partys know very well that its just a ritualistic show of goodwill or submission?
What's the point of having a suspension lifted if it's just going to happen again? So we can repeat this two more times before a final ban? Let's just skip to the good part where the drama happens if that's what people are going for. Why wait?
Image
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

User avatar
Haskr
Posts: 320

Re: Are forum bans not lifted anymore?

Post#30 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:55 pm

wargrimnir wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:49 pm
Haskr wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:07 pm
wargrimnir wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:56 pm

When I tell people to contact me in a week, I don't mean in the appeals section of the forum (which should be pretty clear in the rules). I mean to contact me and have a conversation.
Well but that is the point I don't get, if someone gets a ban, and its not an indefinite one, it means there has to be a certain amount of days to it (lets say 8, or whatever, I don't know what the steps are).
After those 8 days, wouldn't it be much easier to just lift the ban (easier as in: no extra work for the gamemaster/evildoer).
Why is there a need to have a conversation or write something, what should be the point of that?
Or is it like a ritual, were you make a kowtow infront of the emperor, while both partys know very well that its just a ritualistic show of goodwill or submission?
What's the point of having a suspension lifted if it's just going to happen again? So we can repeat this two more times before a final ban? Let's just skip to the good part where the drama happens if that's what people are going for. Why wait?
Well but wouldn't the first thing be the professional thing to do? Otherwise it just becomes the clown fiesta it is now.

For example, since I learned that we have a community manager, he could just lift the bans after the time is up and then we see how it goes. That this system now doesn't work very well is clear I think, why not try something new?

Also my first comment that I enjoy to read drama was meant tongue-in-cheek, actually I don't like the server and forum to get smaller and smaller.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests