Recent Topics

Ads

low levels get shaft

Let's talk about... everything else
Urdeg

Re: low levels get shaft

Post#71 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:55 pm

Get your character levelled son. Welcome to MMO's.

I don't believe its impossible. I don't even believe its that complicated. It does take some dedication. The gameplay loop of warhammer online has you at rank 40 for the vast majority of your playtime.
Urdeg OathKlad - IronBreaker 40/48 'I need nothing but the endless list of grudges unsettled.'

Ads
BeautfulToad

Post#72 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Urdeg wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:55 pm Get your character levelled son. Welcome to MMO's.

I don't believe its impossible. I don't even believe its that complicated. It does take some dedication. The gameplay loop of warhammer online has you at rank 40 for the vast majority of your playtime.
Hargrim wanted evidence for my viewpoint, and I provided some numbers. That's all (the devs could get better data).

Every MMO, and every game, have different types of challenges when retaining players, and the big games companies monitor it (usually to maximise revenues from Pay to Win mechanics).

Maybe working out how to increase player retention is not a priority for a volunteer server, but might be interesting analysis for someone to do as a hobby in the RoR dev team.

Urdeg

Post#73 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:49 pm

BeautfulToad wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:22 pm
Urdeg wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:55 pm Get your character levelled son. Welcome to MMO's.

Hargrim wanted evidence for my viewpoint, and I provided some numbers. That's all (the devs could get better data).

Every MMO, and every game, have different types of challenges when retaining players, and the big games companies monitor it (usually to maximise revenues from Pay to Win mechanics).

Maybe working out how to increase player retention is not a priority for a volunteer server, but might be interesting analysis for someone to do as a hobby in the RoR dev team.
Throwing shade like that doesnt bother me, neither do forts being unavailable for lower tier characters. What does bug me is the idea that its an impossible effort getting to r40/rr40. I think it takes less time and effort to get there than it does to reach endgame content with its competition.
Urdeg OathKlad - IronBreaker 40/48 'I need nothing but the endless list of grudges unsettled.'

BeautfulToad

Post#74 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:03 pm

Throwing shade? I'm lost now, sorry. I don't disagree with what you are saying.

Sulorie

Post#75 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:21 pm

BurbsToo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:05 pm Lol. I tried to start a thread on this topic (or just helping noobs in general) and it was locked immediately by some antisocial idiot.
Because it was a trash suggestion. You didn't help them, you just let them skip progression.

The lack of r48 bolster after rank 30 and ways to smooth the power curve were already discussed and therefore no suggestions in that direction are required.
Dying is no option.

Hargrim
Developer

Post#76 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:44 pm

BurbsToo wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:05 pm antisocial idiot.

Hear, hear...

marquisxxx

Post#77 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Since we are (or were at least) discussing the disparities between low and high level characters in PvP, I'd like to mention that I think that bolstered characters should be allowed to use potions based on their bolstered level. We're not talking about gear here, just consumables. Being potion restricted by true level widens the stat gap, and the heal difference gives a significant advantage to the higher level. If the purpose of bolstering is to attempt to even the playing field, potions should be usable based on the bolstered level too.

BeautfulToad

Post#78 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Sulorie wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:21 pm The lack of r48 bolster after rank 30 and ways to smooth the power curve were already discussed and therefore no suggestions in that direction are required.
Was it? Because I spent a couple days in a back and forth with a developer who seemed to argue there was no evidence T4 SCs were perceived as problematic on lower levels, unless x suddenly means y.
Hargrim wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:02 pm
BeautfulToad wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:52 pm The issue was raised by someone about low levels not being able to do RvR in downtime. I think it is a relatively common perception; the perception of a grind for lower level players. I offered an explanation for the source (T4 SCs). I think if new players see RoR as problematic it should be on the minds of you guys running the server. Not sure what sort of priority it should be given compared to adding new features though, if it is actually stopping fresh blood from playing or if it is a simple matter of the things discussed here could be better articulated to players.
Also, the case is that low levels are able to RvR when they want. So, what's the real issue?

Do you have any numbers to support the perception you talk about? Or proof? Or your PoV at all?
The entire point is that the devs could very easily work out the points low level players give up, and a lot of these debates won't be needed. I could probably quickly write a script to scrape the armory for class, level and renown points directly from returnofreckoning.com since it is in such a simple format, but that's not even needed.

There is also presumably a database of players somewhere (e.g., see https://www.returnofreckoning.com/armory.php and also the rosters for guilds), and if they are linked to accounts it can disintiguish between new players and alts, which was discussed as an issue at the start of the thread. I doubt it would take that long either, depending on how it is all stored.
Last edited by BeautfulToad on Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
Flavorburst

Post#79 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:21 pm

marquisxxx wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:11 pm Since we are (or were at least) discussing the disparities between low and high level characters in PvP, I'd like to mention that I think that bolstered characters should be allowed to use potions based on their bolstered level. We're not talking about gear here, just consumables. Being potion restricted by true level widens the stat gap, and the heal difference gives a significant advantage to the higher level. If the purpose of bolstering is to attempt to even the playing field, potions should be usable based on the bolstered level too.
There is a fine line between "even the playing field" and being given a fighting chance. Bolstered characters are supposed to be given latter, not the former.

Making potions modular kind of ruins things from an economic perspective. You lessen the value of lower level potions if you limit their practical use to only very niche situations.

I think a better solution is to extend the ~48 bolstering to at least level 35, instead of cutting it off at 31 (in favor of the ~40 bolstering).

Alfa1986

Post#80 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:36 pm

marquisxxx wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:11 pm Since we are (or were at least) discussing the disparities between low and high level characters in PvP, I'd like to mention that I think that bolstered characters should be allowed to use potions based on their bolstered level. We're not talking about gear here, just consumables. Being potion restricted by true level widens the stat gap, and the heal difference gives a significant advantage to the higher level. If the purpose of bolstering is to attempt to even the playing field, potions should be usable based on the bolstered level too.
not only a potion, it would not bad to remove the restriction (from level 31) with renown points (or at least limit LVL 45 rr), also to get opportunity using healing, armor, stat pots 35-38 lvl. to give awards for at least 40-50 lvl rr from bags in rvr , it would also be a good idea to introduce scrolls of increasing level, even off the highest medals and emblems(Opressor and vanq). Cost ? I think it will be fair 10-20 medals for each level. that's all to need to do for low-level chars 31-39 lvl at the moment.
Last edited by Alfa1986 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
15th orks on a dead elf's chest
yo ho ho and a bottle of rum