Recent Topics

Ads

MAY be a silly question...

Let's talk about... everything else

Ads
Sarasil

Re: MAY be a silly question...

Post#22 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:37 pm

Those are only rights to do warhammer based games, not to WAR.

There was an attempt from the community to communicate with GW and EA, from what I heard only GW replied and weren't really against trying to get the game back, but EA probably didin't even bother with a response so that is where things got stuck. :/
Natharyn (sw)/Umatharil (sm)/Jillian (doc)

Find my fantasy art on my website and on facebook

Mystriss

Post#23 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:54 pm

Ah I see, and likely EA would be the one who'd need to give permission since they bought it from Mythic... That's unfortunate because EA isn't going to care unless you give them money. Though maybe things have changed lately since Mythic went under and Sega now has the rights to make new games; perhaps EA might consider giving WAR away for a cheap price rather than making nothing on it... *shrug*

razgon

Post#24 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:00 pm

Companies like EA will never respond positively to such requests or emails. There is always a chance that the game, its art assets or anything associated with it can bring in money. That is why companies almost never release source code, art assets, rights and so on to its software / games.

Mystriss

Post#25 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:06 pm

Yeah that was kind of the vein I was thinking, but then I wondered - 'could' EA even use any of that coding/art/etc with SEGA owning the rights to make all warhammer games now? Aka it'd be dead information (and honestly the coding is terrible heh)

PartizanRUS

Post#26 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:56 pm

Code is terribur and 3D graphics are outdated for 5 years. Art and concepts can have value only because its Warhammer and without IP license its useless. WHO fell into a stagnant rotting pit of EA.
Burn heretics and mutants, purge the unclean. ingame - Partizan . Hammer of Sigmar guild [RUS]
Image https://i.imgur.com/Un7WASp.jpg Image Image

Sarasil

Post#27 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:06 pm

PartizanRUS wrote:Code is terribur and 3D graphics are outdated for 5 years. Art and concepts can have value only because its Warhammer and without IP license its useless. WHO fell into a stagnant rotting pit of EA.
What are you talking about, WAR looks beautiful! Add some of that "new graphics " and it will just look boring. :'D
Natharyn (sw)/Umatharil (sm)/Jillian (doc)

Find my fantasy art on my website and on facebook

Grolar

Post#28 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Agreed. The thing to remember with games is that art is only the cake in the window. Gameplay is everything...its the flavor of that cake. Warhammer Online art stands out in my opinion to other MMO's. In fact more so simply because it has its own style. Too many MMO's today look the same because of the Eastern influence in the art.
EA let a good thing go with Warhammer Online. With a few million dollars, a good team of programmers and designers and marketing they could revamp the game in a year and a half and turn it into a F2P experience that would be AWESOME. I've said before and I say it again...look at DOTA games like League of Legends. Free to play death matches that are hugely successful. They make the lion share of their money selling skins and characters. Same could be done for WHO. Keep all the game play ...just bring in more gear for sale so people can bring their own personality to the game. Of course keep the style Warhammer :).

All that said the game is still great and beautiful. I like normal maps like the next gamer, but I don't need them to enjoy a good game.
THUMP - "MEDIOCRE!!" ...Who's laughing now?

Ads
Irrelevant

Post#29 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:49 pm

They actually tried that with Wrath of Heroes, unfortunately it was pretty mindlessly executed. Still good for a bit of occasional fun though before they shut it down.
Hans; Witch Hunter.

Mystriss

Post#30 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:58 pm

I could never get into that WoH thing cause it wasn't 'MY' character it was someone else's max level char. If I remember right there was something really key to my playstyle that the SW couldn't do in WoH like stance dance or something? I can't remember, but I gave it like three shots then said no and never touched it again.

Anyway, that was kind of my thinking though, I mean the graphics are (by current standards in MMOs) 'outdated' - personally I like them alright. The coding is and always kinda was pretty terrible in that it just can't handle zergs (which is also the trend in new MMOs) so ya know, maybe, just maybe, EA might be willing to part with WAR. Anyone know how to contact them about that? Perhaps a long shot, but maybe we could pool our cash and buy it since our lovely coders here won't let us throw money at them...