Recent Topics

Ads

Why 2h tanks are not considered "true" tanks?

Let's talk about... everything else
shaggyboomboom

Why 2h tanks are not considered "true" tanks?

Post#1 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:49 pm

As the topic states, I'm curious, why certain forum posters don't consider 2h tanks real tanks. Would love to hear some decent arguments why you think so.

((not a bait thread, i'm generally curious))

Ads
wachlarz

Re: Why 2h tanks are not considered "true" tanks?

Post#2 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:13 pm

HTL

Martok

Post#3 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:15 pm

wachlarz wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:13 pmHTL

Care to expand on that a bit?
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

berneke91

Post#4 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:27 pm

Martok wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:15 pm
wachlarz wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:13 pmHTL

Care to expand on that a bit?
Hold The Line a channel ability and basicly a warband mandatory for all tanks since it buffs everyones DODGE & DISRUPT by 15% if they are located behind the tank (which they in almost all cases are). The ability also stacks up to 3 times.

It is absolutely sublime when it comes to Warband fights. Not as useful when it comes to small scale.
Jucka Skullcrusher - Blorc RR8X
Melwin Smelwin - SH RR8X
Juckanizer - Mara RR7X
Demagoguery - Zealot RR40
Juckalainen - DoK RR40
Choptastic - Choppa RR4X

CountTalabecland

Post#5 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:52 pm

So tanks don’t exist unless they have HTL? That concept seems flawed. Running defensively specced as a 2h was a thing, especially for IB. Can pack on a ton of defensive stats and bring cave-In but still have access to +parry, magic bubble, and earthshatter. There are plenty of situations where having that set up as a 2h allowed me to keep a mdps or WP alive and bring dps pressure and cc. Just because you don’t have a block chance doesn’t mean you are not a true tank. Yes you can’t block guard damage but you can max out parry which works nearly as well. The trade-off between HTL and 2h utility was a build choice, not the difference between being a tank or not.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

Grock

Post#6 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:19 pm

berneke91 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:27 pm Hold The Line a channel ability and basicly a warband mandatory for all tanks since it buffs everyones DODGE & DISRUPT by 15% if they are located behind the tank (which they in almost all cases are). The ability also stacks up to 3 times.

It is absolutely sublime when it comes to Warband fights. Not as useful when it comes to small scale.
That is only true for WB vs WB with heavy presence of ranged DPS
When its melee train with maras/choppas/slayers having shorter CD on Punt and on-demand CD is more important (just as it is in smallscale/6v6)

Hold the Line is only one of the tools available to tanks, others being Guard, Challenge, Taunt, Punts and more.

Saying that HtL defines the tank in its role is wrong because its only small part of the picture.

And when it comes to how important one or the other part of the kit is i think many people will agree that Guard is way more important and fundamental to Tank's role in this game than channeled 15% ranged attacks avoidance buff.
Orkni 85+ (in-game Grock is not me...)

Ashoris

Post#7 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:35 pm

and in case you are in the rare situation that HTL is more iomportant than all the other, you can still switch to shield even with 2h spec !
Warhammer Return of Reckoning
Verey / Ashoris / Devoras

WaR -dead-
Erengrad - Order - Frostbringer - Devoras

TenTonHammer

Post#8 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:52 pm

I didnt stack def tank gear, parry renown, tactics and epic weapon with reactionary proc on my bg to be told "Lul your a dps 4Head"

Get outta my face with that malarkey

As others have pointed out:

2H bo doing 1K crits while guarding an MDPS is broken as ****

But a SnB BO doing 1K crit while guarding an MDPS is fine and dandy apparently

wasnt bad enough that the devs already destroyed 2H chosen but now they come back and kick it while its down as well

Ads
hulkhug

Post#9 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:50 pm

They are definitely tanks. At least the ones that are not built like a paper plane.
Characters: Gladius (RP), Naulin (AM), Beardicus (WP), Hive (BG)
Guild: The Unlikely Plan / TUP

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/phyrexianhulk

peterthepan3

Post#10 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:55 pm

2h tanks are tanks: they're just not as sturdy as SnB tanks, and offer different things - namely, damage and different forms of utility.