Recent Topics

Ads

New player looking for advice on classes

Let's talk about... everything else
CynicalFyre

New player looking for advice on classes

Post#1 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:29 am

Hiya, heard about this game over on r/mmo and figured I'd give it a whirl.

Been checking out the classes and initially I liked the look of Magus because cool floating disc and summons, but after some research and a few levels of play, it comes off as more of a standard ranged DPS with a pet than a dedicated summoner class.

So I'm thinking of rerolling but I'm kind of torn as to what to pick, I usually prefer to play versatile classes that have some mobility, but again, I don't really know what I'm doing. Any help would be great.

Ads
uanaka

Re: New player looking for advice on classes

Post#2 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:43 am

That pretty much sums up Magus - it's kind of a stationary turret. Really powerful, but you lose out on some mobility for it, because you need to stay around your summon for the most buffs and benefits.

Just to be clear - are you primarily looking for ranged DPS class with mobility in this case? Or just any class with mobility?

If it's ranged DPS class with mobility, and basing it off the faction you're playing, you have a choice of Squig Herder or Sorceror. SH is more of the pet class, but it has a bit more mobility in that there is a spec where you become melee and pounce on people, but it also has its ranged capabilities as well.

Sorcs are more of a glass cannon, they do big damage with dots and have good utility, but their skills have whiplash in that they may get damaged a little as well from their own skills.

CynicalFyre

Post#3 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:03 am

uanaka wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:43 am Just to be clear - are you primarily looking for ranged DPS class with mobility in this case? Or just any class with mobility?
Cheers for the response, and no I'm cool with melee too, it doesn't necessarily need to be DPS either, I don't mind playing something that's a primary tank or utility class, so long as it's got decent options in other areas. I'd prefer to play destruction, but I'm not really married to the idea, if something fits the bill on the other side, I've no problems switching factions.

uanaka

Post#4 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:29 am

Man you're literally asking for recommendations for every class then. Once you have a bit more of an ideal of what kind of class you want to play, I can help out with recommendations, but right now you're basically saying you're down to play anything without giving me any information of what you want to do.

edit: you have a ton of character spaces, if you really don't know what you want to do, make a character, get it to 16 and get it into the t2-t4 open rvr levels, rinse and repeat until you come across a class you like

CynicalFyre

Post#5 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:33 am

Fair enough, guess I'll just try my hand at some stuff then, see what sticks. Thanks for the advice

TenTonHammer

Post#6 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:09 am

CynicalFyre wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:03 am
uanaka wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:43 am Just to be clear - are you primarily looking for ranged DPS class with mobility in this case? Or just any class with mobility?
Cheers for the response, and no I'm cool with melee too, it doesn't necessarily need to be DPS either, I don't mind playing something that's a primary tank or utility class, so long as it's got decent options in other areas. I'd prefer to play destruction, but I'm not really married to the idea, if something fits the bill on the other side, I've no problems switching factions.
Ok so starting from the top a mobile ranged class i would recommend squig herder or you should also consider DPS Shaman

When i comes to utility class with options i would straight point to marauder

Lots of strong debuffs and a few good self buffs too, durable for an mdps relative to the others in the game

But it has great spec options for both single target or AoE for open RvR

Stance shifting will take a bit of practice though

Another option to consider is black orc, can provide some utilty with its bellows and abilities in the boss tree, while being able to be to put out some good assist dps

tripathiankush

Post#7 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:55 am

Thanks for posting this great topic.very well done :)

Urdeg

Post#8 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:12 pm

If you can avoid it, try not to play against your archetype unless you are very good at it. If you roll a tank, be a tank. If you roll a healer, get ready to heal. There are some shining examples of players and their DPS specced healers but on the whole you'll be less effective and helpful for your peers having them expect you to automatically fill your role and you're busy trying to DPS.

Consider the Chaos Chosen, Marauder, DE Sorcerer or Goblin Shaman in my opinion.
Urdeg OathKlad - IronBreaker 40/48 'I need nothing but the endless list of grudges unsettled.'

Ads
Truen

Post#9 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:20 pm

Hi guys, I'm brand new and just wanted to thank the devs for making this game possible--can't wait to meet everyone in the realm.

Goretreader

Post#10 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:17 am

Going to jump in here as a new player. I enjoy a having a variety of playstyles across all roles but only really do well in pvp as a healer. Im playing chaos and like many suggest have been playing anything interesting looking at a low level. In my reading so far ive seen that multitasking between healing and dps is undesirable even in the case of a class like shaman where their mechanic revolves around balancing the two. Am i mistaken in this? Or is a healer really just a healbot?