Recent Topics

Ads

Group XP Spread

Let's talk about... everything else
VonEpic
Suspended

Group XP Spread

Post#1 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:20 pm

Why is the XP spread on parties so tight? Why must new chars slave away with the limited number of chars in their level range to go through PvE? PvE is obviously not the main focus right now, why force new or returning players to trudge through it time and again? Is there some mysterious benefit to not allowing powerleveling?

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Re: Group XP Spread

Post#2 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:32 pm

Power leveling straight up attracts the kind of behavior that leads to optimal efficiency and groups that literally stand there where one guy beats up the biggest mobs to provide optimal return. People go AFK, and it looks trashy to walk into a spot where people are obviously checked out and essentially botting. Culling power leveling means people actually have to push buttons to do things, which we feel is the entire point of playing a game. Since the bolster in RvR is pretty generous if you know what you're doing, more people gravitate towards that, which makes a healthier primary game experience that we push for. If you want to play a game, then play a game. There's plenty to do without killing the same mob over and over to maximize your returns. Already done it too many times? Then you should be able to gear up and do RvR with a decent bolster going on.

Don't expect any argument to change our minds on this. Power leveling is dead, and when we find janky new ways to do it, we're going to remove those as well.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

VonEpic
Suspended

Post#3 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:34 pm

It looks trashy and you personally don't like it? Well, I suppose it is your sandbox, can't argue with that.

Hargrim
Developer

Post#4 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:36 pm

I'm slowly working on some debolster potions for R40 players so you can level with your geared friends, similar to the debolster effect in the Lowbie City Dungeons. It will be done when I resolve last issue, probably next year.

VonEpic
Suspended

Post#5 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:43 pm

That'd be nice. I just do a lot of helping out new players, so grinding PQ's and giving them gold only gets them so far.

spikespiegel84

Post#6 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:11 am

Hargrim wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:36 pm I'm slowly working on some debolster potions for R40 players so you can level with your geared friends, similar to the debolster effect in the Lowbie City Dungeons. It will be done when I resolve last issue, probably next year.
Halleluja!

Shaeamus

Post#7 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:37 am

Good idea on the pots. I am grateful however (and we should all be thankful) that leveling in PVP is a real option. I started an engie earlier this week and he's 20/33 now. He's actually viable in big boy PVP, contributes and it's fun to play even v 40s. The XP in rvr seems a BIT slow but getting decent renown is awesome and it's just plain fun. So there's always that option. Only thing tough about pvp leveling is that the xp is a bit slow and T2 scs are hard to find outside of EU time. Once you hit 31 - smooth sailing.

As an example - I get about 3x more XP winning one sc (which can take 1 - 10 minutes) v. contributing and capping an entire zone- which can obviously take much longer.

FAmeloon

Post#8 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:45 am

My friends and I did find it quite discouraging that we couldn't group up and level together. Even as low levels, trying to PvE our way to higher levels. At times RvR is just not active, and sometimes just dies completely in tier 1. So we like to go to PvE to try and get some more experience, but find it really disheartening that we can't group up to do Public Quests for experience. I can understand getting rid of powerlevelling - And I'm okay with that, completely - But why is the group XP so shafted when it's 2+ people the same level in a group?

Ads
Hargrim
Developer

Post#9 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:57 am

FAmeloon wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:45 am My friends and I did find it quite discouraging that we couldn't group up and level together. Even as low levels, trying to PvE our way to higher levels. At times RvR is just not active, and sometimes just dies completely in tier 1. So we like to go to PvE to try and get some more experience, but find it really disheartening that we can't group up to do Public Quests for experience. I can understand getting rid of powerlevelling - And I'm okay with that, completely - But why is the group XP so shafted when it's 2+ people the same level in a group?

You should get 50% of what you would get if you were not in party. That's not the case?

VonEpic
Suspended

Post#10 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:44 pm

Shaeamus wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:37 am Good idea on the pots. I am grateful however (and we should all be thankful) that leveling in PVP is a real option. I started an engie earlier this week and he's 20/33 now. He's actually viable in big boy PVP, contributes and it's fun to play even v 40s. The XP in rvr seems a BIT slow but getting decent renown is awesome and it's just plain fun. So there's always that option. Only thing tough about pvp leveling is that the xp is a bit slow and T2 scs are hard to find outside of EU time. Once you hit 31 - smooth sailing.

As an example - I get about 3x more XP winning one sc (which can take 1 - 10 minutes) v. contributing and capping an entire zone- which can obviously take much longer.
I'm not talking about RvR, I'm just saying I would like to be able to let lower levels leech off me to give them a quick boost. I'm not alone in thinking that it's a chore to create new characters and put in all the same effort you did before in PvE to create another tertiary character. Maybe some autistic kids love that, but those of us with jobs and not a lot of time to play just can't be bothered to try and create new characters from scratch every time. And let's be realistic, powerleveling was never a bunch of people AFK'ing or dual boxing to create an army of level 40's, because you could never do it to get RR (though several times we have had issues with AFK'ers in RvR as I recall.) The only thing you gain is just saving time and frankly you might see more new characters and new players if you implemented it. I'm also not saying let a level 1 leech off a level 40 and get unscaled XP, make a 15-20 level limit and scale it down so that they're getting better XP than if they were leveling solo at their own rank, but not getting the 1.5k+ xp they'd get as if they had done all the work.

As for debolstering, I'd like that, but it kind of defeats the purpose for me of saving time if I can't continue to wear my armor and use my skills. I don't want to pretend im low level just to watch my compatriots level slightly faster.