Recent Topics

Ads

oRvR and warband 101

Let's talk about... everything else
hashkampf

oRvR and warband 101

Post#1 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:12 am

i'll put this here as i meet an increase number of player that have never played on live and i'm thinking that it can be useful for them to learn the basic of oRVR. now that T2-T4 are merged new player get throw in the big bois party pretty early and learning curve is steep.

off course this is my point of view and i'm not flawless, please feel at ease to correct me if i'm wrong.it's also view from Destro side but i guess can be applied to Ordie side.

so you decide to roll a nice looking character, because its handsome, badass, suits you playstyle whatever, thus there are basic behavior in oRVR to look after if you join a warband:

some basic information before entering the Lakes :
  • always carry siege weapon: monotarget cannon, a couple of oils, RAM if you able to spawn it
  • get yourself stack of pots/lini/cow pies, heal pots can be bough in undercroft with medaillon no excuses !!
classes and roles (based on the holy trinity):

1 - Tank

as a reminder so called pve skill such as Taunt and Challenge are completely viable skill in RvR and is mandatory in any tank skillset

Taunt : increase DPS on the target and intrerrupt cast,the taunted target will switch to you as a target
Challenge : decrease DPS done to your group while you keep taking 100% of it

1.1 guardbot aka defence focused tank
  • Generally fitted with sword and board but can be 2h tank too; basically you role is to ensure that you distribute around the all mighty skill: Guard, your first action getting in a grp is to check if there is a dps class in it, mdps then rdps, then you just guard it and keep in range (30ft) the player.
  • guard also needs to be swaped time to time when pressure is applied elsewhere, other tank in the grp, healer getting pressed yada yada you name it, but its a life saver for guarded target and a pressure release for the healers
  • enemy disruption is also your role, use your skillset to disrupt positioning, healing capacity, dps capacity of your enemy. in order you may want to KD, punt, snare, stagger the backlanes; best is with your mdps on your side to focus "soft" target (heal>rdps>mdps)

1.2 off tank aka dps tank
  • you are close to a dps but have tanking abilities, best for you is the hit and run or defending your backlane from sneaky mdps trying to nuke your healz/rdps.
  • your skillset is identical to a guard bot, use it to disrupt the dps capacity within your backlane or punt/kd pesky tanks away from the healing range; or on the contrary run into enemy backlane with a guardbot or mdps to double your disruption factor and apply damage.
2 - Healer

2.1 healbot aka master of heal and saver of lives
  • your best friend is the magical [insert grp heal skill here], you get it at lvl 20 and even in a T4 warband you'll be a saver, how many time i've seen healer monotarget heal while grp was going low in hp, use it wisely because its a long cast (dok/rp ftw!) and will expose you if you are incorrectly positionned.
  • Positionning is your best friend too, always keep an eye on the frontline and move accordingly, use terrain to hide yourself from rdps that will try to nuke you, use the detaunt if you get ganked by a mdps let the rest of grp kill it while you keep healing bump it if you can.
  • cleanse the hell out of it !!! so many dot/debuff around that when the debuff/dot bar has 2 line you are sure it's gonna die better than throwing 22 instahealz use an addon like buffhead that can show the debuffs and cleanse accordingly.
  • buff your group each time you can, you changed grp cuz wb lead redone the wb >> rebuff, have 2 min pause at BO >> rebuff, just got spanked and at WC >> rebuff.
  • rez, rez, rez as soon as you can. just don't sit down looking for a lilly, off course priority is the other healers
  • help other parties to get in shape, you can't grp heal but you can throw non-grp heal to release the pressure on the grp healers.
  • pump up those morales, AP gain to give your mdps/rdps the capacity to land the burst requiered
2.2 - DPS heal
  • i guess, because never played one, that you can assist the healbot to ensure grp is in shape and you still have a rez, hopefully, it's still in your bars
  • act like a dps (see below)

3 - DPS

3.1 Mdps (melee DPS)
  • Your job is to be sure that the target dies swiftly, check the combo if its a healer or a dps apply your rotation so it dies fast and you can get the hell out of range.
  • always, always, always keep an eye on your tank (if any) guarding you, guard range is nerfed to 30ft wich is not far
  • hitting tank will shatter your weapon and rust it out, just don't until there is anything left on the battlefield; find soft target so your dps will kill it or put it in a such a condition that the enemy healer will have to focus on him/her instead of overlooking the whole grp helping to apply pressure to enemy.
  • like a tank use your skillset to apply the maximum dmg/disruption on enemy formation
  • Dying will happen but avoid it, return in your backlane if you are unable to kill fast enough wait for a gud moment to strike back
3.2 Rdps (Ranged DPS)
  • Pretty much the same role as mdps but you have the distance for you, use it wisely and accordingly to your skillset.
  • Target of choice will be rdps and mdps as a caster RDPS, tank disrupt too much, healer have a naturally high disrupt but comes second after; as physical RDPS go for the regular healer>rpds>mdps targets
  • Help also in your back lane removing dps/tank peer annoying healers or rdps, punt it out of range, snare it, disarm it, stun it, then dps it
  • Get to burst your dmg output in a cycle that will kill or get the enemy to retreat.
  • OIL !!! During siege need all your attention, just do it don't slack, it spam so much dmg that it can certainly wipe the whole wb and enemy can use it as cover to nuke the ram

the warband and you

communication is key to success (dam now i look like a regular banking manager :() but no kidding:
  • you can add voice to the mix, just do it!!
  • share information you can gather: enemy WB location, gankers yada yada
  • But once you decide to join a warband, you also have to listen to the lead, it's already hard to lead a warband don't get her/him depressed because you are chasing a tank on 1000ft and missed the big fight where you could have helped.
  • It's a group effort and by getting into a wb you are require to behave in a group mindset.
  • wb can get nuked and will get nuked, this isn't all the time due to bad lead but more on group compostion/ranks and what enemy you are facing so be merciful and don't rage quit on the first face rubbing.
- NOT TO DO:
  • If you want to afk on a BO open a party on your own, WB lead tend to try to achieve something on a zone level follow her/him and you will get more fun than hugging a pole in the middle of nowhere
  • Running like a headless chicken try to nuke whatever shows up, wb lead have a little blue hexagon on there head just follow or select her/him in the wb pannel so you can track her/him in the mass.
  • Being a moron with stupid comment like "bad lead", "we shouldn't .." or counter order the lead; want to lead, open your warband and show us the way, i'd like to say
  • Fight in front of enemy WC, this is just plain stupid. they can release and be there within a minute full life.
- TO DO:
  • Help the warband perform at it's best, notify lead thru /tell or in /wb chat for missing healer in parties, or to fix grp composition
  • Be fun !!! dam it's a game; wanna roleplay out of your gutz, go for it !! wanna tell a dadjoke while chilling at BO, go for it !!
  • Follow lead orders to the best and communicate if you can't
  • Open a separate chat windows with just WB chat so you can have the latest order from WB leader
i'm all for "gud fight" and less for drama, hopefully some information will improve skills and behavior in both side to get those dank frags hardly earned.

EDIT : got it less clogged, applied some spacing/color (couldn't find font size) added the suggestion, tyvm for the input keep throwing at me suggestion, i'll add them up
Last edited by hashkampf on Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
destro FTW !!
Soupalaphalanj - BG RR5+
Diantalvic - Zeal RR4+
Arhaemat - Magus RR4+

Ads
Sulorie

Re: oRvR and warband 101

Post#2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:28 am

hashkampf wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:12 am guard range is nerfed to 30ft wich is not far
Guard range was actually always at 30ft. :)

Nice effort with a beginner guide, albeit I fear that the core problem is, that many people just can't read or just ignore the WB chat.
In a PUG WB a lot people only join, because it is open, pretty much like in t1. They press L and join the next WB with a free slot but have no intention to work as a team. They don't buff their team or guard at all as a tank.
Your guide could help those players but then again they most likely don't read forums. :^)
Last edited by Sulorie on Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dying is no option.

DanielWinner

Post#3 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:14 am

The best way to coordinate people in RvR is voice chat.
There are plenty discord servers serving that very purpose.
Simple in-game chat is no option. Ask people to join your voice chat if they refuse or ignore — kick them. Better have 12 people who want to play as a team than 24 men who run around like headless chickens.
Keep it up!
Ripliel - Shadow Warrior.
Riphael - Black Guard.

Very Serious Warhammer Online Montage
Spoiler:
Gotcha

Xergon

Post#4 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:51 am

I approve this message!
The Unlikely Plan
YouTube

Glorian

Post#5 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:23 am

Good Guide.
Every Player should read it at least once. :)

Ramasee

Post#6 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:05 pm

No player is going to read it, regardless of the information in it, due to the terrible formatting. This guide needs color and/or sizing for the headers to better separate the sections. Get rid of the equal marks and use bulleted or numbered list. Lack of capitalization will cause you to lose most of your audience that is older than about 25 by the end of your second paragraph. Also, you should define acronyms the first time you use them, or in their own section. You should never assume anyone knows something in a guide.
Spoiler:
Tank Archtypes
Main Tank
  • Generally fitted with sword and board but can be 2h tank too. Basically, your role is to ensure that you distribute around the all mighty skill: Guard. Your first action getting in a group is to check if there is a dps (damage) class in it, mdps (melee damage) then rdps (ranged damage), then you just guard it and keep in range (30ft) the player.
  • Guard also needs to be swapped time to time when pressure is applied elsewhere, other tank in the group, healer getting pressed yada yada you name it, but it's a life saver for guarded target and a pressure release for the healers.
  • Enemy disruption is also your role, use your skill set to disrupt positioning, healing capacity, dps capacity of your enemy. In order you may want to KD (knockdown), punt, snare, stagger the back lines; best is with your mdps on your side to focus "soft" target (heal>rdps>mdps).
Off Tank
  • You are close to a dps but have tanking abilities. Best for you is the hit and run or defending your back line from sneaky mdps trying to nuke your heal/rdps.
  • Your skill set is identical to a guard bot. Use it to disrupt the dps capacity within your back line or punt/kd pesky tanks away from the healing range; or run into enemy back line with a guardbot or mdps to double your disruption factor and apply damage.
Something like that above makes it easier to read long blocks of text. I only edited it slightly

Telperien

Post#7 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:51 pm

Ramasee wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:05 pm No player is going to read it, regardless of the information in it, due to the terrible formatting. This guide needs color and/or sizing for the headers to better separate the sections. Get rid of the equal marks and use bulleted or numbered list. Lack of capitalization will cause you to lose most of your audience that is older than about 25 by the end of your second paragraph. Also, you should define acronyms the first time you use them, or in their own section. You should never assume anyone knows something in a guide.
Spoiler:
Tank Archtypes
Main Tank
  • Generally fitted with sword and board but can be 2h tank too. Basically, your role is to ensure that you distribute around the all mighty skill: Guard. Your first action getting in a group is to check if there is a dps (damage) class in it, mdps (melee damage) then rdps (ranged damage), then you just guard it and keep in range (30ft) the player.
  • Guard also needs to be swapped time to time when pressure is applied elsewhere, other tank in the group, healer getting pressed yada yada you name it, but it's a life saver for guarded target and a pressure release for the healers.
  • Enemy disruption is also your role, use your skill set to disrupt positioning, healing capacity, dps capacity of your enemy. In order you may want to KD (knockdown), punt, snare, stagger the back lines; best is with your mdps on your side to focus "soft" target (heal>rdps>mdps).
Off Tank
  • You are close to a dps but have tanking abilities. Best for you is the hit and run or defending your back line from sneaky mdps trying to nuke your heal/rdps.
  • Your skill set is identical to a guard bot. Use it to disrupt the dps capacity within your back line or punt/kd pesky tanks away from the healing range; or run into enemy back line with a guardbot or mdps to double your disruption factor and apply damage.
Something like that above makes it easier to read long blocks of text. I only edited it slightly
This!
Slacking (checking out EvE)

Hargrim
Developer

Post#8 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:51 pm

Be the change you want to see!

Ads
K13R

Post#9 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:13 pm

All good stuff surprised that it has to be said but my lineage goes back to the 60 v 60 server killing base busting days on Lok PRECU SWG

drmordread
Suspended

Post#10 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:45 am

Challenge and Taunt ... NOT just PvE abilities.

You want that pesky mdps to leave your healer alone? You want your persky mdps to be left alone by enemy tanks?

Use challenge and taunt to auto switch their targeting to you. YOU are a tank. YOU should have a spec that will allow six enemy to hammer on you, without really having to worry.
Morrdread Ladydread Kickyerbutt Tamorrah Whisperrss SutSut Amniell
Lolyou Tahw Fortuna Sarissa Yiorrrgos
(and eight more to keep you guessing)