Recent Topics

Ads

Will it run?

Let's talk about... everything else
wukasx

Will it run?

Post#1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:41 am

Having a hard time to decide which laptop to buy, and will it run the game(to be more precise, will there be some significant drops during sieges and similar stuff).

Lenovo V330-15IKB (81AX00EDYA) 15.6" FHD AG, i3-7130U/4GB/128GB SSD/AMD 530 2GB

or

Asus X541UV-XX826 Sivi 15.6",Intel i3-6006U/4GB/1TB/NVIDIA GeForce 920M 2GB

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Ads
lefze
Suspended

Re: Will it run?

Post#2 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:54 am

Depending on your budget, I wouldn't buy either. Will they run WAR though? Probably.
Rip Phalanx

Alandrian

Post#3 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:28 am

What are you going to be using the laptop for? Those two laptops are fine in general - eg watching movies, surfing the web, word processing, but not for modern gaming. Their graphics cards are low-end and not suitable for modern gaming.

Notice I wrote 'modern' gaming. WAR is a 10 year old game, so in most cases a low end (even integrated) laptop graphics card from today would be equivalent to a high or mid range desktop graphics card from 2008/09 (when WAR came out). So yes, you can run WAR with those laptops, probably even on high settings.

And yes you should expect heavy drops during sieges when there are multiple warbands fighting. I'm playing WAR on my gaming rig way back from 2009. It has a high end for the time graphics card but I have to lower the settings to minimum when there are lots of players (multiple warbands on each sides) or it becomes a slideshow. WAR seems to be a poorly optimized game since I'm able to run other more graphically intensive games from that time or later much more smoothly.

I would personally prefer an ASUS laptop to a Lenovo, since Lenovo is a chinese company and I equate chinese with cheap mass produced crap. That's just my personal opinion though.

Telen
Suspended

Post#4 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:04 am

Id go for the lenovo, faster cpu, faster graphics, faster hdd. Just get an extrenal hdd though. Its better than my laptop and that only has integrated graphics and Ive had war running on it no problem. You'll get drops no matter what. my 1080 gets drops in sieges, the client just cant handle it.

lefze
Suspended

Post#5 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:10 am

Alandrian wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:28 am What are you going to be using the laptop for? Those two laptops are fine in general - eg watching movies, surfing the web, word processing, but not for modern gaming. Their graphics cards are low-end and not suitable for modern gaming.

Notice I wrote 'modern' gaming. WAR is a 10 year old game, so in most cases a low end (even integrated) laptop graphics card from today would be equivalent to a high or mid range desktop graphics card from 2008/09 (when WAR came out). So yes, you can run WAR with those laptops, probably even on high settings.

And yes you should expect heavy drops during sieges when there are multiple warbands fighting. I'm playing WAR on my gaming rig way back from 2009. It has a high end for the time graphics card but I have to lower the settings to minimum when there are lots of players (multiple warbands on each sides) or it becomes a slideshow. WAR seems to be a poorly optimized game since I'm able to run other more graphically intensive games from that time or later much more smoothly.

I would personally prefer an ASUS laptop to a Lenovo, since Lenovo is a chinese company and I equate chinese with cheap mass produced crap. That's just my personal opinion though.
Indeed, the game will run poorly no matter how good the specs of the computer are. However, going for a 2ghz processor is still never a good idea- and that is the clock speed of the i3-6006U in the Asus. Now there is no way I can confirm 100% if the .7ghz difference between the Lenovo and the Asus is gonna make much of a difference, all I can say is that having gone from 3.2ghz to 4.7ghz myself improved the overall experience tremendously.

Another issue is that both these GPUs are weak enough to potentially be bottlenecks aswell. However as most of us know by now, massive upgrades to the system give extremely diminishing returns in terms of performance in this game, so depending on budget investing in a slightly more powerful system may simply yield no noticeable boost in performance. Investing in a significantly more powerful system will give a good boost, but the performance gained is extremely low compared to price paid.
Rip Phalanx

Ridduk

Post#6 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:47 pm

These are the original system requirements for war:aor :geek:

CPU: 2.5 GHz Pentium 4 processor or equivalent
CPU SPEED: 2.5 GHz
RAM: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista
VIDEO CARD: A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0 (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900, 6600-6800, 7600+ / ATI Radeon 9500-9800, X300-X850, X1300+ / Intel X4500).
SOUND CARD: Yes
FREE DISK SPACE: 15 GB

so you should be good , just make sure to get a strong cpu

Haskr

Post#7 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:46 pm

Hello!

Maybe I can help you a bit, because I played this game for some months on my Asus X52J, which is mostly the same as your second option, although the one I have has a 930m gpu, but the rest was the same (i3 and 4gb ram).

Ok now to the feedback: Yes I could play it, I needed lowest settings, lowest draw distance, effects turned off for anybody except yourself (turning them off for yourself helped a bit, but then you can't see very good who is attacking you).
The fps was ok-ish, I think it was about 30fps? But it didn't feel "smooth" if I can put it that way. Most of the times in rvr it was lower (felt like 20 to 25 fps?). To be honest it was not very enjoyable, but the only thing I could do.

ALSO: Enemys really took some time to load, it happened a lot that I walked in the rvr zone, got killed by 'ghosts' in 2 seconds and than after 30seconds I saw that I walked into two enemy warbands and the notebook couldn't load them that fast.

ALSO: Don't underestimate the small screen, it really is not nice to play on them, escpecially in mmos, were your screen if full of little boxes and text and 15" is a joke for that.

I now got my desktop PC running again (i5, 8gb ram, R9 270x with 2gb ram) and it is a difference as night and day: highest settings, slow loading times, everything runs perfectly smooth (ofc if it lags in rvr it lags too, but thats from the server, not your pc)

So to come to an end: If you can afford a cheap gaming desktop from around 2013 upwards (maybe used from around the neighbourhood), I would take that over a laptop ANYTIME. My Asus X52J is from around 2008, so I COULD play it, but for the most time it was not a nice experience. Also the GPU on my Asus doesn't work anymore now, those multimedia notebooks are not made to run under high stress for hours and hours, if you really want to play on them you should concider getting one of those cooling fan stations to put under the laptop, but IMO its not nice.

Maybe it helps you a bit finding a solution.
Last edited by Haskr on Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Telperien

Post#8 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:55 pm

I played few days in a past on G4400 and integrated graphics (Intel® HD Graphics 510) and I could only play scs, cant call it play, game was on, I saw characters but textures were like big pixels:) I add gtx 1060 to it and suddenly could get up to 70 fps everywhere. So I guess anything presently produced can run RoR. Question is what are you expectations. No, u wont see more than 20fps in sieges, my current ryzen 5 2600 + gtx 1080 ti goes down to 30 if I play on fastest framerate video preset. But for scs and skirmishes u can get 50+ fps its fine.
Slacking (checking out EvE)

Ads
wukasx

Post#9 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:09 am

Thanks for the help and quick answers guys!